SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yahoo News reports "millions of rounds of ammunition stolen."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yahoo News reports "millions of rounds of ammunition stolen." Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

The closer you are to a story the more you will realize they have no interest at all in reporting facts. It’s all opinion and crap meant to make you feel and think a certain way.

I'm starting to like Stickman's posts. He's realize some truths about the media. Long ago we lived in an apartment. About a block west of where we live now. Out on the balcony my son and I were watching upriver where a bunch of wreckers and fire trucks were messing around in the river. So we walked down to watch up close. They were pulling cars out of the water. Kind of interesting. So the next day's paper had a big article, made out of thin air. Not many facts, mostly guesses I think. (that ramp is still there). Its when I first realized that any story you have personal knowledge of is reported as garbage by the media. Bears little or no relationship to reality.

I fear for our bill of rights. The media plays their amendment as being close to the bible and ours as being garbage. They feel protected (kind of like we do), but treat us as holding on by a thread. I think they're too stupid to realize that their right to lie out their asses may come to an end, too. If they had any sense at all (which they don't), they'd be on the bandwagon touting our rights as well as theirs.

Other issues...I'm starting to like Stickman's posts. He's showing a lot of common sense these days. If he keeps at it for a while, he'll become as grumpy as I am.

This is how young enthusiastic guys become grumpy old men. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
A number of news agencies are running w the report.

Of course, it's the Running Dog Media.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Wonder if Biden’s DOJ ‘gave’ them away ala Rapido y Furioso?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PHEW!

For a moment I was wondering if this might have been part of the SF group buy…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
For a moment I was wondering if this might have been part of the SF group buy…

Wow, that would be awful! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Unlike the media's usual overblown attempt at reporting "hundreds of rounds", aka two lousy value pack boxes to us, 7 million rounds is a lot. Even for 22 LR.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. I think the production numbers for .22lr are measured in billions like 4 or 5 or more.
Now other than some casual assassination uses the most likely benefit of this is selling it on the open market where at a minimum its real money. But I guess this heist was simply a mistake.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
25 thousand cartridges caliber .38 super auto + P

That would be fun!

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like this week’s run of Aguila Super Extra got hijacked. That stuff is running for $.10 a round north of the border.

The thieves should rent a booth at a Texas gun show. They could move it all in a weekend and net $400k.

Posts: 319 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Based on that inventory, I can only assume it was an Aguila truck.

That's very sad, but also a totally obvious target, even not in this current situation.

And even if they can't "use" it, they sure as shit can resell it for a profit on this side of the border.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The story is incorrect at best dishonest and misleading seems more appropriate. The author argues they don’t use 22lr so this score will be of no use to them. Never mind the fact that over 700,000 of those rounds were not 22lr. This also completely ignores the value of 22lr and fact that it could easily be flipped for a pretty large amount of money.

To say this will be “of no use to them” is blatantly false, ignorant and exactly what I would expect from Yahoo News and the fools who work there.

It’s not news it’s propaganda. Maybe it’s always been propaganda and lies.

Has anyone here ever reached out to a journalist and informed them personally how stupid they are? I’ve been kicking around this idea but part of me feels like they may be at least already somewhat aware of the fact that they are propagandists who suffer a unique form of Stockholm syndrome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Based on that inventory, I can only assume it was an Aguila truck.

It was. From the article:
quote:

The ammunition is sold in the United States under the Aguila brand.

quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
And even if they can't "use" it, they sure as shit can resell it for a profit on this side of the border.

True, further funding their unpleasant activities.

quote:
blatantly false, ignorant and exactly what I would expect from Yahoo News and the fools who work there.

It’s not news it’s propaganda.

Exactly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13501 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Tecnos Industries manufactures Aguila Ammunitions.

It was the Tecnos spokesman who said "These will be of no use to them ..."

Good reporting would have challenged that comment. Yahoo and other news media were repeating the AP story.

The thieves left the original drivers and Tecnos security team when they drove the trucks a few miles north.

Then (presumably) they hooked the trailers to different truck tractors and left the original trucks.

One of the stories implied the trucks had GPS trackers but not the trailers.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the stories implied the trucks had GPS trackers but not the trailers.

Well that's just crummy thinking, now isn't it?

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an inside job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Not necessarily. They're about a ten hour drive from Brownsville, and about a nine hour drive to the nearest Mexican port, Tampico. The trucks have almost certainly made the same run many times before, and those are some rough roads with a lot of twists, turns, and changes in elevation that hijackers could take advantage of.

They won't have to bring it to this side of the border to sell it. In fact, it'll be easier to sell it in Mexico than it would be to smuggle in .22LR made elsewhere.

How can they sell it? .22s "revolvers, pistols and rifles" are perfectly legal to buy in Mexico under Sec. 1, Art. 10 of the Mexican "Law of Firearms and Explosives". And I'm sure there are quite a few illegal ones down there as well.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:

The closer you are to a story the more you will realize they have no interest at all in reporting facts. It’s all opinion and crap meant to make you feel and think a certain way.

I'm starting to like Stickman's posts. He's realize some truths about the media. Long ago we lived in an apartment. About a block west of where we live now. Out on the balcony my son and I were watching upriver where a bunch of wreckers and fire trucks were messing around in the river. So we walked down to watch up close. They were pulling cars out of the water. Kind of interesting. So the next day's paper had a big article, made out of thin air. Not many facts, mostly guesses I think. (that ramp is still there). Its when I first realized that any story you have personal knowledge of is reported as garbage by the media. Bears little or no relationship to reality.

^^^
It's possible that stickman428 has overcome the influence of the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect. I've only seen Gell-Mann Amnesia mentioned once here before but it's something to be aware of.
Coined by Michael Crichton.
Gell-Mann Amnesia

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Michael Crichton’s observation is quite interesting and thought provoking. It’s a brilliant observation. I was aware of it and did see it when it was posted here previously but I was already well on my way to loathing the dishonest media. Michael Crichton’s observation is easy to explain. We have been conditioned from a young age to trust and believe that which we read printed in a newspaper or “news” website to be true. Even when they have exaggerated or gotten things completely wrong on an issue we are familiar with as soon as we flip the page or click the next headline to a subject were not an expert on we trust it. Why do we do this? Sure we could fact check it but it’s like that saying goes “We know the right path we simply wait for or choose an easier one”. It’s much easier to trust the words you are reading as true than to take an hour or more of your time to rebuke them and prove them to be false. Convenience and conditioning along with clever tactics and promotion of journalists who tow the line is how they pull it off IMO.

If you get enough people to say the same thing over and over you will inevitably convince people that your collective lies are actually true. This also forms a false consensus and makes fact checking more tedious.

Media outlets will slip up from time to time and admit they are in the business of telling us what to think rather than what actually happened.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:

87 thousand cartridges caliber 7.62 × 51 mm 150 GN

Most of the cartel vehicles I've heard of in northern MX (Chihuahua state) have 7.62 machine guns mounted in the bed of trucks. That's ~$150k in ammo for them, well worth the minimal effort of stealing 2 semis. A previous favorite of the cartels was to co-opt local police vehicles and run checkpoints at rural intersections. Legit police also did that, so it was impossible to tell what you were driving into until you got there.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post