SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Questions on pancake compressors
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on pancake compressors Login/Join 
posted
What brands are people using?

Has anyone used the battery operated ones like Dewalt Flexvolt?

Light duty tire filling, brad nailing,

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Porter Cable for me. Never any problems.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I have a Bostich BTFP02012 6 gallon tank. It's been trouble free for 5 years. I do a bit of nailing, pump up tires, and other bits and pieces. When I bought it, it came with a stapler and a couple of brad nailers.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Porter Cable here

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Porter Cable here too. Came in a nailer kit but I use it for everything up to running an impact gun for auto work. Had it for over 20 years and is still going, albeit not quite as strong as it once did. Probably could use some kind of maintenance. LOL

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Spend a little extra and get this.
Makita® 3.0 HP Big Bore™ Air Compressor
Does the work of a larger compressor but portable enough to be extremely handy.

5.2 Gallon tank
Oil lubricated
Air Delivery - 6.9 (scfm) @ 90 PSI
140 Max PSI

https://www.acmetools.com/shop...r-compressor-mac5200

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

I just use lots more pancakes. Too much butter and way more syrup make the compressing more effective.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it seems to me you'd wanna fluff 'em up.

Posts: 107719 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
Porter Cable for me. Never any problems.

I've had a porter cable also that I've had for 4-5 years. I don't use it commmercially, but at least once a month.......it's never missed a beat and was $100.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I just use lots more pancakes. Too much butter and way more syrup make the compressing more effective.

WHAAATTTTT ????? No Bacon? Where's the bacon!!!

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Had a hitachi, it ate itself to the point that metal parts broke. Loud too. Bought a 6 gallon Campbell Housfeld as it was quiet - a lot more quiet as it turns out and a darn set better quality. More expensive a bit, but recommended.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have the Makita. It is the most QUIET! Even more quiet adding a muffler thing from Grainger.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the current Porter Cable model, but the 3HP, CPF23400P (discontinued model) is an absolute beast and has been troublefree.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a California air tools 1gal that is SUPER quiet and light. Only 125psi, but that's plenty for brad/finish nailers & airing up a tire or 4.

It will ALMOST run off the inverter in my truck (10A), which would make it the most awesome portable compressor out there.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I got lucky a few years ago, and someone on Sigforum posted a link for half-off California Air Tools air compressors at Home Depot. It's not a pancake since it's 10-gallon , but it's vertical tank and has wheels so I've been able to roll it into the house and into the yard for projects. I was in the market for a pancake compressor, but this was too good of a deal to pass up and it's more compressor and nearly as portable.

Its best feature is how extremely quiet it is 70 dB. You can have a conversation standing next to it and not raise your voice.

It produces more pressure and more cfm than my neighbor's pancake so I was able to get a lug nut off a truck with air impact that wouldn't budge with same impact and his pancake compressor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Not a true "pancake", but I got my father the Husky 1gal silent compressor, and he loves it.

One of the quietest compressors I've ever used, quiet enough to be used inside without worry.

He's used it for tire inflation, blowing dust, trim nailing, and running an air ratchet (although just limited to light household stuff, not working automotive).

We went with this because he had a pancake Dewalt before, and it was too loud to use indoors, this was much lighter and quieter and could be moved around easier.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I also bought a Porter Cable nailer kit, both the nailers are still running good, as well as the pancake compressor, 13-14 years old now.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My Craftsman is 25 years old and still going strong and I have used the ever-lovin' shit out it.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a Rigid 6 gallon I really like. It's my go to compressor. Also have a 3 and 1.5 Porter Cable than I use for small portable projects.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’ll second the California Air compressors. I found out about them here on SF and not only have one for myself (replacing a PC) but have given them out to both my son’s.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post