SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Must be nice to have money to (crash and) burn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Must be nice to have money to (crash and) burn Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/28...-after-purchase.html

Ferrari driver wrecks supercar just an hour after he bought it

David Reid
@cnbcdavy
2 Hours Ago
CNBC.com

A driver in the United Kingdom has destroyed his Ferrari supercar in an accident after owning it for just one hour.

Police in South Yorkshire said the driver was able to walk away with just cuts and bruises after the Ferrari 430 "went airborne and burst into flames" in South Yorkshire on Thursday.
It's unclear what he paid for the car, but it was one of only 499 ever sold with an original list price of $288,000. These cars currently fetch between $80,000 to $220,000 according to one dealer.

In a statement on Facebook police added: "Officers asked the driver what sort of car he 'had' to which he replied 'It was a Ferrari'."

"Detecting a sense of damaged pride he then said 'I've only just got it, picked it up an hour ago'."

South Yorkshire Police said when officers arrived, firefighters were already dousing the car which was 50 meters off the main M1 freeway.

The Ferrari 430 Scuderia can reach 60 miles per hour in 3.3 seconds and has a reported top speed of 198 miles per hour.

But in an update Friday, police said they "do not believe excess speed was a contributory factor in this collision."

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
My cousin, a radiologist, bought a Ferrari about 25 years ago. He picked it up about 2:30 and drove to his home. A few minutes later, his oldest son, a high school senior, arrived.

"Would you like to go for a short drive?"

Off they went with the kid at the wheel. About 5 miles into the drive, the kid makes a left turn and is hit by a guy in a Jeep. The Ferrari had about 18 miles on it, maybe an hour out of the dealership.

No one was hurt, etc. but the replacement door was $22,000! No telling how much for labor.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of a surgeon that had a dodge viper and loved it ,
he took a relative out on the freeway near Scottsdale,AZ and got it up to 115 mph.

he passed a dozen cars, but he did not get past t he aluminum ladder that was in the road.

that had to have been very expensive.

no he did not just fly right over it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54686 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
the 1/499 is bullshit. but based on that report it wasn't "just" a F430 Scud, but a 430 Scuderia 16m (convertible). Badass car, but unless he had it in race mode with all driver aids turned off, new exotics are REALLY hard to crash. You also can't touch one for less than 325k (likely more in the UK). There is a badge in the car that says it's one of 499, however ferrari has always been REALLY bad about following production numbers (and never tells you which of 499 you have). LaFerrari for example.. we will only make 499 of them, then they released "209" spyder versions that were apparently not going to be made, or the first figure for the Enzo was 349, quickly raised to 399, and then came that magic 400th car. Ignore the fact that they made roughly 75-100 more Enzos according to credible sources.

bb code img

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stupidity has no income limits / restrictions.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Back in the 60's one of my father's business associates bought his dream car. It was a Jaguar XK convertible. The first Saturday he had off he took his new sports car up a canyon. At some point he went off the road and down the mountain. He did not survive. What a shame. He was 28.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's not going to be liked by his insurance company.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
JALLEN, did your cousin live in the vicinity of Arlington? White car?

"My cousin, a radiologist, bought a Ferrari about 25 years ago. He picked it up about 2:30 and drove to his home. A few minutes later, his oldest son, a high school senior, arrived."

I played soccer with a guy there and your story sounds just like (including the dollar amount) what happened to the guy I knew.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post