SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotch and soda....but have you tried...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch and soda....but have you tried... Login/Join 
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted
Cognac and soda? Remy Martin and soda in particular. That used to be my go to but I always got a snarl from the barkeep or cognac wasn't available so I switched to Scotch and Soda. Went to dinner a couple of weeks ago with some friends and was reunited with Remy and Soda and I was in my happy place again.

Have a great weekend friends!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yup. I’m not familiar with brandy or cognac so generally indifferent to brand. But have had them with water or soda. Usually water though. And usually just with VS. At least never with XO. Popular in Korea and Taiwan it seemed. Not so much in Japan.

It’s very fragrant and flavorful. I’m lightweight so I don’t usually drink them outside unless I’m not driving. So usually Asia.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Yup. I’m not familiar with brandy or cognac so generally indifferent to brand.
Wow, if there is any style of liquor that differs more widely in taste and aroma than Cognac, I'm not aware of it. There is a world of difference between a good Bourbon and a run-of-the-mill one, but the variation between a coarse Eastern European Cognac and a fine French Brandy has to be sampled to be believed. Remy is one brand on the high side. The price does not seem to be quite as skewed towards the high end as Bourbon or Scotch as well.

I suspect that this variation is responsible for Brandies not being more popular than they are with a lot of people revising their purchasing decisions after their first taste of some off-brand rotgut.

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Cognac and sprite is also pretty good.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Wow, if there is any style of liquor that differs more widely in taste and aroma than Cognac, I'm not aware of it. There is a world of difference between a good Bourbon and a run-of-the-mill one, but the variation between a coarse Eastern European Cognac and a fine French Brandy has to be sampled to be believed. Remy is one brand on the high side. The price does not seem to be quite as skewed towards the high end as Bourbon or Scotch as well.

That's interesting and fine. But I've never been partial to brandy / cognac. Nor scotch or bourbon although I'm exploring bourbons now. I've mostly enjoyed wine, sake or shochu (Japanese, not Korean. And in particular, rice based rather than potato, barley, and others).

I'll drink cognac / scotch and have had them neat, with water or soda. Especially when the 'crowd' orders a bottle. It's enjoyable but not something I typically order for myself. So, I'm not familiar with them.

Is Eastern European cognac a thing? I thought cognac was only French - brandy from Cognac, France. (just like Bordeaux wine, etc). But like I said, not familiar.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jameson and ginger (ale). First tried it at the Jameson distillery in Ireland.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Cognac and soda is a mortal sin especially if its a really good cognac Smile

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have, and keep, a few different Cognacs in my home bar, but I have never tried mixing them with anything.....Hmmmmmm.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Drank a crap ton of Asbach (German Brandy) and Coke during my five years there

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half and half Martell cognac and Benedictine ( or B&B) ain’t bad on a cold night.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I developed a taste for Metaxa when I was traveling in Greece. Thought it might have been just the aura and romance of the local beverage when on the road. But I found I still liked it when I got home.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
Jameson and ginger (ale). First tried it at the Jameson distillery in Ireland.

Whiskey Ginger with a twist of lime is my go-to summer drink. I tried different variations involving Irish, Bourbon, Single Malt Scotch from various regions, and Blended Scotch. My personal favorite turned out to be Johhny Walker Black and Ginger. Or Black and Ginger for short.

I never tried Cognac and Soda, but now I'm intrigued.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Cognac and soda is a mortal sin especially if its a really good cognac Smile

Exactly!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post