SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting sandwich from back home - Collard green melt
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting sandwich from back home - Collard green melt Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

I wonder what my Mom would think? I grew up eating collard greens all the time, but never thought to put them on a sandwich!

https://www.al.com/life/2019/0...dBLMczloFy8FSmpTs1rQ

Collard greens. On a sandwich.

It’s the hottest item on the new lunch at Lucky Cat Rolled Creams in Homewood, which is otherwise best known for its organic ice cream and milk shakes.

Lucky Cat started serving lunch in early March, after musician-turned-chef Trey McLemore came in as a limited partner with co-founders Hannah and Greg Slamen, who opened their rolled ice cream shop in February 2018.

"No one eats ice cream for lunch," McLemore says, "so we saw an opportunity to fill a hole there and generate some revenue at lunchtime."

The collard green melt -- which features braised collard greens, an Alabama white-sauce slaw and Swiss cheese on grilled rye bread -- has fast become the star of the new menu.

"That was one of the flagship items because that's something I've been wanting to do," McLemore says. "So far, everybody who's had one has cleaned their plates, so I've been happy with the results."

To give credit where credit is due, McLemore readily admits that he borrowed the idea from the celebrated New Orleans restaurant Turkey and the Wolf, which began serving its popular collard green melt a couple of years ago.

"As soon as I saw it on their menu, I thought, 'Oh, my God, I've got to do that,'" he says. "Having said that, I've never had theirs before, so I have no point of reference.

"Mine is a little different," he adds. "Theirs may be better because they are real-deal chefs doing some pretty amazing things."

McLemore, in fact, ran into Turkey and the Wolf sous chef Nathan Barfield, a University of Alabama graduate, at the wedding of a mutual friend, novelist Caleb Johnson, this past summer in Laramie, Wyo. He told Barfield he was planning to put his own spin on the collard green sandwich.

"I was like, 'I'm totally going to rip off that sandwich; you know that, right?'" McLemore recalls.

Among the most notable differences, the Turkey and the Wolf melt uses Russian salad dressing while McLemore’s features Thousand Island.

The origins of the sandwich, though, go even further back to the Lumbee Tribe of North Carolina, who served collard greens between two rounds of fried cornbread so that they could eat the greens with their hands. The collard sandwich has since become a regional delicacy in Robeson County, N.C., the ancestral home of the Lumbee Tribe.

"I don't know how long they've been doing it but longer than Turkey and the Wolf," McLemore says. "I had that when I was living in North Carolina, and I thought, 'Wow, this is amazing.""

McLemore’s collard green melt is a double-decker sandwich that features a bottom layer of Swiss cheese and shredded cabbage tossed in a house-made Alabama white barbecue sauce, and a top layer of braised collards, a house peppadew Thousand Island dressing and another slice of Swiss cheese -- all served between three slices of grilled Jewish rye bread. To make it official, he spears the sandwich with an Alabama state flag toothpick.

Think of it as soul food on a sandwich.

McLemore gets his collard greens from the Alabama Farmers Market on Finley Avenue West, and the shredded slaw is an homage to the old, iconic John’s Restaurant in downtown Birmingham, he says.

“The hard part is to get the collard greens to taste right,” McLemore says. “A lot of love goes into the collard greens. I cook them with a bunch of onions and garlic, and then I add some Crystal Hot Sauce and some cider vinegar. The key is not to overcook them.”

It tastes a lot like a Reuben sandwich, but with collards and cabbage instead of corned beef and sauerkraut.

Vegetarians and meat-lovers alike are digging it, McLemore says.

"Honestly, it's not meant for a vegetarian audience," he says. "It's just meant to be good. But the vegetarian friends I have are going crazy because you get to pick it up and eat it like a gnarly cheeseburger."

In addition to the collard green melt, some of McLemore's other creations on the Lucky Cat lunch menu include black-eyed-pea tamales, a smoked pork Cuban sandwich, and a gluten-free pizza with Conecuh Sausage, blue cheese and sweet potato pesto.

McLemore, who was formerly a guitarist and vocalist in the Birmingham-based Southern rock band Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires, says he started working in restaurants to support himself as a musician.

Some of his sandwich ideas, in fact, spring from when he was living in Portland, Ore., and working at Bunk Sandwiches.

"I was in a bunch of bands for years, which kept me in the restaurant industry a lot longer than I intended to be," he says. "That's how I learned to cook, basically. That, and my grandmother, of course."

McLemore's maternal grandmother, Beverly Lee, who he calls "Grammy," used to let him hang out with her in her kitchen in Vincent when he was growing up.

"I was the only son in my family, so I got special attention and all the extra love," he says. "I was the only one allowed in my grandma's kitchen."

His paternal grandmother, Maxine McLemore, who he calls "Max" and who lives in Vestavia Hills, is also an inspiration. That's her painting on the wall at Lucky Cat, along with a love note that says, "This pretty lady eats here for free."

"I'm big on grandmas, in case you haven't noticed -- mine and everybody else's," McLemore says. "I try to channel that granny love into the restaurant. That's why we have the old-school dining ware with real plates and real forks. I want it to be like eating in my grandma's kitchen."

And neither "Grammy" nor "Max" needs to remind their grandson to eat his vegetables.

"I've been eating collard greens five days a week my whole life," McLemore says.

And now, he's discovered an even better way to eat them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, not gonna happen. I like collards with mother's fried cornbread and some hot sauce but in a sandwich? No way in hell.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That looks outstanding!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I think that I’d like that sandwich – I love collard greens. They’re very nutritious, too. I steam them in my pressure cooker.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent the first 18 years of my life in Robeson County. Even went to summer school at UNC Pembroke (that's Lumbee central). I'm very familiar with cornbread and with collards. But, NOBODY I knew down there ate collard sandwiches on cornbread!

Anything is possible -- but I call BS on this sandwich being a Robeson County delicacy!

------------------------------------------------------------
"I have resolved to fight as long as Marse Robert has a corporal's guard, or until he says give up. He is the man I shall follow or die in the attempt."

Feb. 27, 1865 Letter by Sgt. Henry P. Fortson 'B' Co. 31st GA Vol. Inf.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Coastal NC | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Umm, i just threw up in mouth a little...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have eaten a lot worse than that, and I mean a lot worse.

I’d give it a try. It looks pretty damn good, just hold the thousand island.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If the only food I had left were half a loaf of bread and some collard greens, and it was still two more days until payday, well, collard greens sandwich it is. I can think of no other circumstance where I'd willingly eat one.

Posts: 28019 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Oh buddy,I would be all up in that sandwich!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you changed the coleslaw to sauerkraut and the kale to corned beef, then you might have something. In it's currently offered state, no thanks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20848 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This Yankee says.... NOPE!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38008 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'd eat the hell outta that.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd give it a shot. I love some spicy collard greens.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17308 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Posts: 1981 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hillbilly family did the cornbread and collard greens thing. I recall the collards were prepared with onions and other stuff. Thats what made them edible.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's just possible that you might be salvageable, YooperSigs. With enough rehap, time, love, and resources diverted to your case.

I'll be hoping for the best and praying for your nasty ass. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15491 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any support is greatly appreciated. Especially cash.
Big Grin

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
We're kinda short on cash, but we've gots lots of bullshit...

Bad news: (to the Cherokee) There's nothing to eat out there but buffalo shit.
Good news: There's plenty of it.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I cut collards into small pieces, steam them in my pressure cooker, then add an equal amount (by weight) of Hormel Vegetarian Chili (essentially beans with chili seasoning). Season with French’s Classic Yellow Mustard, Accent (MSG), black pepper, and Cholula Green Pepper hot sauce. Mix and microwave. Quite good.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that I would just have to try that sandwich for myself. Maybe yea, maybe nay, but a faint heart never.......!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post