SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SRO's 'holstered' Sig 'incidentally discharges' at school --- edit -- Pasco County Schools, FL
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRO's 'holstered' Sig 'incidentally discharges' at school --- edit -- Pasco County Schools, FL Login/Join 
posted
will be interesting to see where this goes -- luckily no children injured

weapon apparently is Sig 9mm

left immediately pounces as potentially arming school teachers is being discussed here in FL. opposition saying 'see - even COPS can't control these evil guns...'

https://www.wfla.com/news/pasc...e-injured/1966758072

Deputies: Pasco school officer's gun discharges in cafeteria, no one injured
By: WFLA 8 On Your Side Staff

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. (WFLA) - Pasco County deputies say no one was injured when a school resource officer's gun "incidentally discharged" in a middle school cafeteria on Tuesday.

The incident happened at Weightman Middle School in Wesley Chapel. A spokeswoman for the sheriff's office says the school resource officer assigned to Weightman was in the cafeteria at the time.

The officer, who was not named by the sheriff's office, was "leaning against the wall when his holstered, duty-issued firearm incidentally discharged into the wall behind him," deputies say. There were no injuries to students, staff or the school resource officer.

"We'd like to reiterate that the weapon discharged directly into the wall and no students were in danger," the sheriff's office spokeswoman said in a statement.

Lt. Troy Ferguson with the Pasco Sheriff's Office says experts will now break down the weapon to see what happened. Lt. Ferguson said the gun involved was a Sig Sauer 9mm.

"There are a number of features on the threat level 3 holsters that we carry with our firearms, so there are a number of dynamic factors that are involved with fine motor skills functions that would cause that to happen," Ferguson said. "So we have to really kind of dissect that."

In response to the news, many have asked about the safety on the firearm. During a news conference, Lt. Ferguson said, "the weapons are not carried with a safety mechanism, per se. They're carried ready to use."

The sheriff's office says there will also be a full administrative investigation.

"He has been reassigned from Weightman Middle School as the SRO as normal standard protocol," Lt. Ferguson said.

Shortly after the incident, the Florida Education Association released a statement on Twitter saying "This should serve as a cautionary note before the Florida House takes up #SB7030 which seeks to put more firearms on the Florida's public school campuses."

The Florida House was taking up SB-7030 Tuesday afternoon.

------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe the Pasco County Sheriff's Department issues the P320. It'll be interesting to read the determination of how this happened.

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Let me be the first in here with..."Bullshit". Not "incidental" or "accidental", no way. I could dribble my Sig 228 across the cafeteria in that school without it ever misfiring. There's a whole lot more to this story we're not hearing just yet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Yep, a quick google search shows Pasco County switched to 320s due to a “safety concern” with their couple-year-old Glocks. Tampa also later switched to the 320.

The “safety concern” was the fact that Glocks need a trigger pull to field strip.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My guess is some piece of clothing or other foreign object made its way into the holster along with the gun and depressed the trigger. It's happened before.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted Hide Post
Just FYI on the thread title... This took place in Pasco county, not Hillsborough. Pasco is adjacent to Hillsborough, but definitely two different counties.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
We had a supposedly holstered 320 in my county go bang as well. I can't even come up with a way that could physically happen unless someone body slammed a deputy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Frown
Awwwwwww, crappola!

Ammo for the antis to oppose armed school resistance.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet it was caused by a Flea. Darned thing squirmed it's way into the chamber and bit down on the primer. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Note, the above is about as accurate as whatever phony story the Sherrif's investigation cooks up.

simple truth is that the officer was probably messing with his handgun and did something boneheaded to cause it to fire.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have edited the thread title

My apologies for the error

--------------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Impossible, a P320 could never fire unless you pull the trigger.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What is an "incidental discharge?" I have never heard that term before.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
What is an "incidental discharge?" I have never heard that term before.

no kidding

they coined a new term apparently

-------------------------------

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
“Lt. Troy Ferguson with the Pasco Sheriff's Office says experts will now break down the weapon to see what happened. Lt. Ferguson said the gun involved was a Sig Sauer 9mm.

"There are a number of features on the threat level 3 holsters that we carry with our firearms, so there are a number of dynamic factors that are involved with fine motor skills functions that would cause that to happen," Ferguson said. "So we have to really kind of dissect that."”

I understand neither of the bolded parts.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
“Lt. Troy Ferguson with the Pasco Sheriff's Office says experts will now break down the weapon to see what happened. Lt. Ferguson said the gun involved was a Sig Sauer 9mm.

"There are a number of features on the threat level 3 holsters that we carry with our firearms, so there are a number of dynamic factors that are involved with fine motor skills functions that would cause that to happen," Ferguson said. "So we have to really kind of dissect that."”

Who cares? It sounds both badass and technical.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’d say this was a “bugger hook, on the go switch “ problem...

Especially if they wear triple retention holsters.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Impossible, a P320 could never fire unless you pull the trigger.

It’s even more true now!

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My first though is that something worked its way inside the trigger of the holstered P320.

On many light-bearing holsters (like most of the commonly used Safariland ALS duty holsters), there's a gap around the trigger due to the molding for the light, and something slim enough can get inside the trigger guard. It's been a known issue for years, and a factor in several accidental discharges, but it's an inevitable byproduct of needing the large cutout for X300/TLR-sized lights. The latest 7-series Safariland duty holsters do a better job of addressing this, though.

Here's a report of a similar discharge from a seatbelt tab working its way into a Safariland retention holster and firing a holstered P320, plus a SIG rep reportedly told the officer that there have been about a half dozen other accidental discharges under similar circumstances:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Prote...ccidental_discharge/

It's less of an issue with Glocks, due to the trigger tab requiring something to push basically straight back on the middle of the trigger, while it would appear to be potentially more likely on a tab-less P320.

Example photos of the gap:

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

Level three duty holster. Most departments issue them. Three separate things need to be released on the holster with one hand in order to remove it from the holster. They are claiming it was in the holster when it fired. So did one of the holster parts malfunction? Interesting to see what they say.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing the officer wasn’t assigned there because he/she was the best they had to offer. Unfortunately, some departments have individuals who they’re stuck with for any of a myriad of reasons, so it becomes a situation where you put them where you think they’ll do the least damage and hope for the best.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post