SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SRO's 'holstered' Sig 'incidentally discharges' at school --- edit -- Pasco County Schools, FL
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRO's 'holstered' Sig 'incidentally discharges' at school --- edit -- Pasco County Schools, FL Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"Florida Man. "

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Money on foreign object. Moved just right, object yanked the trigger.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's possible, but I'm betting on the foreign object being his bugger hooker. Or Scooter's flea theory sounds pretty good.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Isn't the trigger pull on a P320 6 or 7 pounds? "Incidental" discharge - WTH???

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
Usually you have to drop them before they'll go off.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Or be cleaning them. Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
“Lt. Troy Ferguson with the Pasco Sheriff's Office says experts will now break down the weapon to see what happened. Lt. Ferguson said the gun involved was a Sig Sauer 9mm.

"There are a number of features on the threat level 3 holsters that we carry with our firearms, so there are a number of dynamic factors that are involved with fine motor skills functions that would cause that to happen," Ferguson said. "So we have to really kind of dissect that."”

I understand neither of the bolded parts.

Level three duty holster. Most departments issue them. Three separate things need to be released on the holster with one hand in order to remove it from the holster. They are claiming it was in the holster when it fired. So did one of the holster parts malfunction? Interesting to see what they say.

Yes, level III, I know. I was referring to the “threat level” bit.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Let me be the first in here with..."Bullshit". Not "incidental" or "accidental", no way. I could dribble my Sig 228 across the cafeteria in that school without it ever misfiring. There's a whole lot more to this story we're not hearing just yet.
Don't count on ever hearing it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’d say this was a “bugger hook, on the go switch “ problem...

Especially if they wear triple retention holsters.
I'm not conversant with current holster designs, but is it even possible to get a "bugger hook" on the trigger with the gun holstered?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Possibly. As I noted in my earlier post, you can get an object inside the trigger guard, if it has just the right size and angle. So with the right sized finger at the right angle, it could be possible.

There was a Minnesota SRO last year ago who was sitting on a bench with some 3rd graders when one of the elementary students stuck one of his fingers in the holster and pulled the trigger: https://www.policeone.com/offi...-gun-at-Minn-school/

But unless the officer in this latest incident has tiny hands equivalent to a 3rd grader, I doubt it was the officer's finger that fired the holstered gun, because most officers couldn't get their trigger finger into the small gap on a holstered gun. It's more likely that it was a foreign object, like a pen, key, equipment strap, jacket cord, etc. Much like the seat belt buckle incident I linked to in my previous post.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Everyone wants to assume the officer was finger-fucking his duty weapon in a school instead of considering the possibility that the equipment malfunctioned. Which do you really think was more likely?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'm part of the "finger-fucking" group.

OR He could have been munchin on a Mr. Goodbar and a peanut dropped into his holster and trickled its way down into the trigger guard and then a mouse ran up his leg and dived down into the holster to get at the peanut and then he s-q-u-e-e-z-e-d his little self into the trigger guard and the officer leaned against the wall and BOOM!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Like this guy, right?
https://youtu.be/Qu-H36C5z3c

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not enough information to even guess. If Iknew the guy and knew he is super squared away, I’d likely expect an equipment malfunction. Likewise, if I knew the guy and knew her was a total doofus, I’d more likely expect he did something dumb. It could have been either.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Everyone wants to assume the officer was finger-fucking his duty weapon in a school instead of considering the possibility that the equipment malfunctioned. Which do you really think was more likely?

Statistical possibility?

I’m with these guys ^

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Occam's razor = Among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
When I saw Pasco County I thought, “Ohhhh, shit!” My brother is a maintenance man/sro at a school in Pasco County. Different school, though & he’s a school employee & not a member of the Sherriff’s Dept.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Seems like a DA with a hammer would preclude a lot of the legitimate accidents with strapped holsters, since a strap would at least somewhat hinder the rearward movement of the hammer. Any reason for the love of striker-fired weapons in LE? Just askin'....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Any reason for the love of striker-fired weapons in LE?

Schwarzenegger loved Glocks.
What more reason is necessary?

There are advantages to shooting and teaching people to shoot striker fired pistols with a single, often light trigger pull. They do, however, have their drawbacks.
Guns like Glocks and the P320 also require a bit more care in handling, and especially holstering to ensure nothing contacts the trigger during the process. So, being forced to do that is probably a point of snobbish pride. We’re told that red dot optics on handguns “force” us to do things differently than using iron sights, and for some reason that’s supposed to be a good thing: sort of like saying, “Driving a stick shift car forces me to use the clutch pedal and shift on my own, rather than letting the car decide when it’s necessary.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Any reason for the love of striker-fired weapons in LE?

Schwarzenegger loved Glocks.
What more reason is necessary?

There are advantages to shooting and teaching people to shoot striker fired pistols with a single, often light trigger pull. They do, however, have their drawbacks.
Guns like Glocks and the P320 also require a bit more care in handling, and especially holstering to ensure nothing contacts the trigger during the process. So, being forced to do that is probably a point of snobbish pride. We’re told that red dot optics on handguns “force” us to do things differently than using iron sights, and for some reason that’s supposed to be a good thing: sort of like saying, “Driving a stick shift car forces me to use the clutch pedal and shift on my own, rather than letting the car decide when it’s necessary.”

Ah - Ah-nald - got it! Smile Understand the advantages in training, but I've never had a problem with the DA/SA switch on my P229 or 220, or any of my Smiths. OTOH, nobody has been shooting back at me, lately. And my carry is usually a short 1911 in Condition 1, which I would never recommend for someone who doesn't put in longer training hours than most, LE or otherwise. Just seems like the more foolproof the better for someone who carries a gun for a living, out in public.