SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A word to all the divorced dads out there......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A word to all the divorced dads out there...... Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Good for you. I got sole custody of mine 25 years ago when it was pretty rare. They were 7 & 8 and wanted to live with me so they cooperated amd that made it easier. I never had to deal with threats to go live with Mom. To her credit, my ex handled it well once she realized that the kids were happier and I wasn't speaking ill of her to them. She did likewise, fortunately.

What I always told them was that we just didn't agree about most stuff, with the exception that we both loved them with all our hearts. When they complained about her missing visits I told them that I would probably miss some visits too if she had gotten custody so give her some slack because it didn't mean she didn't love them. Better to take the high road.

Now they're 32 & 33 and have a great relationship with both of us, and we have a good relationship as well. In fact we usually celebrate our unanniversary, which always astonishes waiters who enquire whether it's a special occasion.

Hold on tight. The time flies.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Great news....well done dad

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
Congrats!
That fight is always worth it, no matter how long it takes.
8.5yrs later and my oldest son is coming home to live with me and will be starting high school next year.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by badcopnodonut!!:
Don't give up. Never give up on your kids. I say this because after trying for 5 years to successfully co-parent with a unstable ex-wife I'd had enough. Today I took her back to court and won custody of our 9 year son.

Tonight I will sleep knowing my little boy is in my home and will stay here. I've been fighting off tears all day and I'm done fighting.

Don't give up Dads. We matter.

Wow. With much crap going on in the world, we can lose sight of what matters right here in our own homes.

Congrats to you and your son. Always fight the good fight.

Thanks for sharing.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4502 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1735 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Sir that's great!

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 13861 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the victory. Always good to hear when a child ends up with the parent that is a better influence on them, whether it be the father or the mother.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the kind words. My son seems happy to know that he's staying with me. I've told him I expect him to love his mom just the same, the only change is the living arrangement. He seems to understand.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post