SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know if the 2015/2016 F150 XL was available with the 5.0L and rear locker?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know if the 2015/2016 F150 XL was available with the 5.0L and rear locker? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Looking for a 2015/16 F150 XL 4wd Supercrew with the 5.0L, 3.73 gears with rear locker.

Anyone know if this configuration was available?

Most of the searches don’t allow for gear ratio and locker to be a selection.

I have located a 15 XLT with the 2.7 and a rear locker but not sure on the gear set. But much prefer the 5.0

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'm about 90% sure that was an option.

Mine was a 2016 2.7 with a 3.31 E-locker

Might be a struggle to find accurate info via most auto-searches.

You can usually pop the VIN into the below link (replace the VIN listed) and get the original window sticker to see the configuration. Should work on most newer Fords, couldn't get it to pull on my wife's '13 Flex.

http://www.windowsticker.fordd...in=1FTEW1E46KKE46294

Edit: Just saw you posted about the XL trim, not sure on that. My assumption on availability was for XLT & up, but IIRC Ford offered all drivelines on all F150 trims.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and Yes. According to Cars.com the 3.73 electronic locking axle was a $795 option on the XL's called the "payload package". 5.0 was also an option, but generally dealers didn't order 5.0's in the XL trim level trucks, so finding the 5.0 and 3.73 electronic locking axle are probably very slim. The trailer tow packages also came with the electronic locking axle and 3.55 gears, quite honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between 3.55 and 3.73 gears as far as exceleration goes.

https://www.cars.com/research/...specs/usc60fot115a0/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Look for an FX4 version. My GF has a 2012 Offroad 5.0 (but Lariat Trim) and it has the rear locker. I have a 2018 FX 4 XLT 5.0 with L9 3.55 electric rear locker. Her truck has greater towing capacity than mine, so I suspect it has a higher rear ratio. From looking at the 2012 chart, that probably means 3.73 gears.

I suspect if you look for a 5.0 XLT FX4 or Offroad, you will find what you are looking for. Also look for one which has the "Max Tow" package, as that seems to also have the 3.73 gears.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am hoping for an XL because I want nothing but the 5.0L, Locker, steeper gears, and backup camera. Though looks like the cameras are very few and far between on the XLs. May have to do an XLT.
Jimmy is likely right I had forgotten 3.55s were an option which would be just fine.

I want a barebones truck. Suspension, wheels and tires, will be swapped immediately and skid plates bolted up.
I want the 5.0 as I miss the V8 rumble and the intercoolers on the Ecoboost motors prohibit using a hidden winch.
I don't really need the FX4 package as all the FX4 upgrades will be immediately removed.
But it looks like this may be a solid option.

https://www.whiteallenvw.com/u...4fb4f7572b682f1e.htm

I also do not want the large screen entertainment system as that will be ripped out too.

I can’t get that window sticker thing to work. Keep getting a message the sticker has not been released yet.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
How about this one, might have everything you were planning to swap out already on it. 5.0 and trailer tow package (3.55 locking), lift kit, rims, tires..... Razz

View window sticker is on there under the blue trade in appraisal tab on the left side.

https://mullinaxfordwestpalm.c...lt-1ftfw1ef2gkd06482

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I can’t get that window sticker thing to work. Keep getting a message the sticker has not been released yet.

Yeah, I've seen that from time to time. Seems hit or miss if it will generate the sticker.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The 5.0 Coyote in the truck is a GREAT motor. To me, the power seems much more immediate than the Ecoboost motors, and the truck feels more responsive in normal driving, even though the EB makes more total torque. I tested both engines in equivalently equipped trucks, and I simply thought that the 5.0 drove better.

I'll be interested to see what you do with it, as I may make some of the mods that you are talking about when my truck comes off warranty. The FX4 and Offroad packages come with factory skid plates. These may not be as heavy as what you are contemplating, but they are there for basic protection.

One thing to consider is to move up to a 2017 model. The 2017 comes with the 10 speed transmission, and it is a superior transmission to the 6 speed that is in the 2015-2016 that you are considering. I had the 6 speed in my 2010, the GF has the 6 in her 2012, but I have to say, the 10 speed blows them away in performance, comfort, quiet, and adaptability. This is the first automatic transmission that I find to be superior to a manual. Heresy, I know. But really, the 10 speed is amazing.

You are getting the aluminum body in those years, and the aluminum trucks corner better than their steel counterparts.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2015 xlt super crew 3.5 eco boost with that gearing and locker. So probably.

Posts: 380 | Location: masshole | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Things is I already have:
Fox 2.0 Front Coilovers
BDS Upper Control Arms
RCI Offroad Skid plates (far superior to the FX4 stuff)
18" wheels with 33.5"x11.5" tires
So nearly 3k in aftermarket parts. I would need to get Fox 2.0 shocks for the rear which is only $250.

Would have no issue with a 2017 or newer but I am trying to stay around $23K and be under 70K miles.

I really enjoy my Expedition but now that my wife's new Suburban has become our family mover the 3rd row is not needed as I only cart the boys around after school and they can ride 3 across in the truck.

The F150 is a lot more capable off road than my Expedition. I have no easy bumper options and have to use a winch tray which I don't particularly like.

Of course my clown of a friend is sending me 2010-2012 Raptor for sale links.

I already have a truck but it is just a 2000, 3 door extended cab, with a lap belt in the center so the whole family can't ride in it. My boys are too small and will be for quite some time to use a lap belt only.

Only real hitch in my plan is that we do hope to get a dog this year and I don't let dogs ride in truck beds and they'll be no room in the cab.

So maybe I am just spitballing but we'll see.

————————————————

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Would this be anything you could use? It's an XL with 5.0 and good miles but don't know about the rear locker? I will vouch for this dealer, having done business with them since the 1980s.

https://isaacspreownedautos.co...fersonville-IN-47130

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
While you're planning on upgrading and don't need a lot of what the FX-4 comes with, FX-4 does include the rear E-locker. The locker is also available as an individual option outside the FX-4 package.

3.73's may be a little difficult to find. I had to settle for 3.55's when I bought my 2013. Yes the 5.0 sound mean when you put an exhaust and intake on it, but you really have to rev it to make power. The 3.5 eco boost has a lot more low end torque. I like the 5.0 in my 2013 but I've been a lot happier with the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2015 and 2018. The newer 10 speed transmission is a definite upgrade over the previous 6 speed. I know you want a hidden winch mount, but there's other options than winch trays with aftermarket bumpers.

Seriously consider upgrading to an XLT with the front bucket seats. You may have to get the sport package to get those. Nice big dog house sized center console and then there's the floor shifter. Have to love it with the ability to progressively lock out high gears and manual shift if needed. Adds another level of control in off-road and difficult driving situations.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, make sure you also find one with the optional 36.5 gallon gas tank.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big +1 to this.
But, it can also be retrofitted to a truck with the standard tank. Forscan can recalibrate the fuel gauge.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Would this be anything you could use? It's an XL with 5.0 and good miles but don't know about the rear locker? I will vouch for this dealer, having done business with them since the 1980s.

https://isaacspreownedautos.co...fersonville-IN-47130

No locker

And 2000Z-71 most of the winch bumpers are pretty hideous and make the truck look like it has a fat lip.

We’ll see how it goes. Just kind of spitballing.

————————————————