SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Toyota Hilux
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Toyota Hilux Login/Join 
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I saw that video a few days ago. Too bad that buffoon totaled it. Tear up all the big three, dime a dozen diesels but that was a really nice example. But seriously, that Hilux performed.

I have a '87 4x4 pickup undergoing a paint job at the moment. I'll get a legit Hilux at some point.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^
2500 pounds in the bed of my Taco and I imagine the clutch would be toast in no time Eek

I know it’s what they do at that channel but what a waste. That little beast took a tremendous amount of abuse and kept chugging along.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
That old straight six was a tractor motor. Live axles, factory locking rear, room for everyone and your gear. It was a beast.

Timing was done not with a belt or chain, but with gears.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Like Lyman, I had a HiLux. Very bare bones but almost indestructible. It had a bone jarring ride and no power anything. Cant recall what model year it was.
I still miss it.

my SR5 had the coldest AC of any vehicle I ever had, on a hot humid day you could get all the windows to fog up from condensation ,

I think it did have power brakes,

no Power Steering,
locking hubs

easy to maintain,

22r gave OK performance for what it was,

rust was it's nemesis,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
fact of the matter is those of us that would stand in line to get one is small percentage of the buyers of the other models,

JMHO, but all pickups have turned into luxo-barges used to run Lil Timmy to soccer or get groceries or a bag or 4 of mulch ,

exaggerating just a bit but yall get my point,

toyota could easily build them here, but has elected not to, likely not enough buyers and the safety hurdles,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
It's due to the chicken tax.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve always wanted to see what would happen if any of the truck brands built a rugged, no nonsense, easy to maintain and repair, full size truck. One that’s made with today’s technology and higher mechanical tolerances. Of course, it’ll never happen, with all of the regulations and people’s expectations for luxury. It’s a fun what if though.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post