SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Toyota Hilux
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Toyota Hilux Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
after the rave reviews on BBC Top Gear I don't understand why its not for sale here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SFDa05v7Y

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Too much demand by insurgents/guerillas/terrorists. They keep them FLYING off the assembly line.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
they were sold here, up until one of the redesigns in the late 80's

I had a 82 HiLux 4x4, SR5

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
There are many Toyota models that are sold in Japan and elsewhere that aren't sold here. Even the Lexus line here was with models that for a long time were sold in Japan. I'm guessing the US market is too "cheap" to sell to many models here. Even the models they do sell here have been relatively low line. Nissan was the same - many of their better models were never sold here.

It's too bad as they have a big seam between $35K T4R series and $100K LC/LX.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Don't know for sure, but I'd bet it has something to do with emissions and safety. Without the high-dollar emissions stuff, and all the extra safety stuff, it can sell for cheaper in other markets.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
My wife have a cousin that live in Australia. They have a Black Toyota Hi Lux that have the snorkel and is outfitted for off road use. Folks over have some nice selections available.

https://www.toyota.com.au/hilux

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

It's too bad as they have a big seam between $35K T4R series and $100K LC/LX.

Sequoia fills the gap between T4R & LC
Shame we aren't getting the new LC with the TTV6. Just saw photos of it & it's got more power with better MPGs.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert but my impression is that the Sequoia fills in the gap from a street SUV perspective but not from an offroad capability perspective. My understanding is that T4R/LC/LX are more capable offroad w/ Sequoia being less so. But I could be wrong.

Dumb question: would TT be too 'bursty' when you're trying to control speed when rock crawling?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A side note, has anyone heard that Toyota is discontinuing the Land Cruiser? On the other hand, Lexus will actually be getting the Land Cruiser but as an upscale model until they release their concept of an off-roader.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A side note, has anyone heard that Toyota is discontinuing the Land Cruiser? On the other hand, Lexus will actually be getting the Land Cruiser but as an upscale model until they release their concept of an off-roader.

Yes, the LC is dead for the US market, but the Lexus LX is supposed to live on, but unsure if it'll be with the current 5.7 V8 or the new TT V6.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15331 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
So what everyone is saying is that Government is the problem? Too many costly regs that add no value but lots of costs.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Maybe it did a shitty crash test when equipped with the optional M2.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Toyota might respond if you e-mailed.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I don't understand why its not for sale here...

There is a 25 per cent tariff in the US on imported light trucks such as the Hilux.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I don’t know why they bothered with the Tacoma. Not that it’s a bad truck, it certainly isn’t and I loved my Taco but the Hilux is vastly superior.

I cannot begin to tell you how cool the Hilux trucks were that I saw in Australia. The Toyota dealership I drove past in Melbourne had a factory stock Hilux with a roll bar, and snorkel. The thing just looked incredible. The Hilux engine options also make the Tacoma look like something Toyota half assed.

Toyota does some weird and stupid shit from time to time. I will never in my life understand why they allowed BMW to talk them into ruining the Supra. That car pisses me off so much it almost makes me hate Toyota. If I ever had a chance to meet the design team for the new Supra I would fling so much profanity their way it would shock them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21109 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
A side note, has anyone heard that Toyota is discontinuing the Land Cruiser?

If so, probably only the US version of the LC. The 70 series LC is sold just about everywhere but here, and is a strong model. Diesel only, which is one of the reasons it is not imported here (not meeting US emissions standards).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Lyman, I had a HiLux. Very bare bones but almost indestructible. It had a bone jarring ride and no power anything. Cant recall what model year it was.
I still miss it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hated when the LC went to an independent front suspension. I had a 92 LC and if the rear main seal hadn’t developed a leak that was extremely costly to repair, I’d have kept it until it died. That old straight six was a tractor motor. Live axles, factory locking rear, room for everyone and your gear. It was a beast.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
after the rave reviews on BBC Top Gear I don't understand why its not for sale here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3SFDa05v7Y

1. The chicken tax.
2. US emissions and safety regulations.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/w...n-the-united-states/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They are crap, can't even live up to day to day use.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post