SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A review of the book “The United States Federal Air Marshal Service: A Historical Perspective, 1962 - 2012”
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A review of the book “The United States Federal Air Marshal Service: A Historical Perspective, 1962 - 2012” Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Over the years there has been continuing interest expressed here about the US Federal Air Marshal (FAM) Service and, being a gun forum, in particular about their weapons and training. When I heard about this book recently it attracted my attention. As someone who has been responsible for advising and enforcing various types of security measures for decades I was curious about the general topic. In addition, years ago when I first heard of the “FAM qualification course” I spent a lot of time at the range with my SIG P229 chambered for 357 SIG trying to master its requirements. By chance, a FAM was also in my NRA law enforcement handgun instructor course 18 years ago.

The book was written by a former FAM, Clay W. Biles, and most of the book is about the evolution of the general program of putting armed security personnel on US flagged passenger aircraft. It discusses personalities at length along with trying to follow the very many changes in how the program was conducted over the years. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of that discussion was that it began so early (1962) and yet was so limited in scope. At times there were less than two dozen personnel who ever provided armed security on flights, and for a long period that was an extra duty for them within the FAA (and its predecessor agency).

More interesting (to me) were the descriptions of the many incidents of “interfering” with flights around the world: hijackings and bombings. I suppose that like many people during the period when they were at a peak, I simply wasn’t aware of how common they were. At one time they occurred worldwide on average of 29 incidents a year, or over twice a month. They also tended to become more serious over time. During one of the very few incidents when FAMs (they weren’t called that at the time) were on an aircraft when it was hijacked to Cuba, they followed the protocol of not acting to stop it because it was believed that no one ever got hurt in such incidents. Later, of course, terrorists were blowing aircraft out of the sky or committing other murders.

But about guns:
These were some of the facts sprinkled throughout the narrative. (“sky marshal” was not the official title of armed security personnel for most of the period, but that’s what I’ll use for convenience.)

In 1962 a sky marshal was issued a Colt Cobra revolver with 2" barrel chambered for .38 Special. He was also issued a Buckheimer “Billy (blackjack),” and “fountain pen tear gas gun,” along with ammunition.

For a long time the sky marshals were issued six-shot revolvers. At one time the qualification course consisted of firing six shots with the right hand, reloading, and firing six shots with the left hand at a bull’s-eye target at 15 yards. The qualification time was 15 seconds. That was evidently in the early 1970s. The issued weapon was the Smith and Wesson model 15 “Combat Masterpiece” in 38 Special. Ammunition was made by Super Vel that had the reputation of producing a large muzzle flash. The marksmanship standard was stringent enough that many candidates in the program had difficulty qualifying (as was also true later).

During the same period, though, at least one sky marshal was able to qualify and therefore carry an S&W model 60 revolver (five shots, 38 Special, 2" barrel). (How he was able to qualify on a course requiring six shots fired in a string with a five-shot revolver was not explained, but that was the claim.)

In 1985 the issued weapon was a Smith and Wesson “.357 caliber” revolver with 4 inch barrel (not further identified). The qualification course at the time was based on the NRA Practical Pistol Course (PPC), but no details about the course were provided in the book.

About 1988 following the lead of the US Secret Service sky marshals were first issued autoloading pistols, the SIG model P226, rather than revolvers. For a time after the adoption of the P226 sky marshals could opt to carry either it or their older six-shot revolvers. The PPC-based qualification course was still retained at the time.

Not long after, sometime about 1989 to 1990, the issued weapon became the SIG P228, and that continued for about a decade.

About 1992 there were some major changes to the sky marshal program, and one of the results was development of the “Tactical Pistol Course” (TPC) that became the qualification standard. The TPC was what I first identified as the “FAM” course:
From concealed holster - one shot in 1.65 second (twice)
From low ready - two shots in 1.35 second (twice)
From low ready - one shot, reload, one additional shot in 3.25 seconds (twice)
From concealed holster - 180° pivot firing one shot each at three targets in 3.50 seconds (twice)
From low ready - one shot, kneel, reload, one shot in 4.00 seconds (twice)
The TPC was obviously very difficult to pass and created problems within the program.

The sky marshals during the period were expected to maintain their firearms proficiency at a very high level. At one time they had to pass the TPC and the agency’s physical fitness test before every mission. While in a standby status they dry fired their weapons for an hour every day.
When the sky marshal program and its members were evaluated by a team from the military Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) in 1998, their opinion was that “air marshals were among the top 1% of shooters in the world.”

In 1998, the issued sky marshal weapon became the SIG P229 in 357 SIG, again following the lead of the Secret Service.

There were major changes to the Federal Air Marshal program following the events of 9/11. It was greatly expanded with the directed hiring of many more FAMs. (Although there was some criticism of its inconsistency at one time they fired between 5000 and 10,000 rounds in their training. As an aside, at one time I saw a post here by a SIGARMS representative that some 357 SIG P229s had fired as many as 100,000 rounds. Although he didn’t specify, I suspect that he was referring to guns in FAM service.)

At the same time as the major expansion of the FAM service following 9/11, the very difficult TPC was dropped as the qualification course because so few candidates could pass it. (That was something that the FAM in my NRA handgun course mentioned to me in 2003.) That was evidently when the service went back to some version of the PPC for qualifications. At some point the standard became scoring 85% on the course, and qualifications were required quarterly.

The only use of deadly force by FAMs reported in the book occurred on the ground in 2005. A man claiming to have a bomb was confronted by two FAMs and refused their orders. He was shot nine times (three and six) with their 357 SIG weapons, and five of the bullets passed through his body.

Unfortunately the book’s history ends in 2012. It would be very interesting to have similar information about events and the program since, but I’m not aware of anything. If anyone knows of more recent information, please post it here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I love this kinda stuff. Thank you for sharing! I wonder what pistols FAM are issued now?

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I love this kinda stuff. Thank you for sharing! I wonder what pistols FAM are issued now?

Benner, it's my understanding that it's the Gen 5 Glock 19 with Sig Sauer V-Crown 124 grain 9mm JHP ammo.

That was a great review, Sigfreund. This type of info is always awesome. Guess I'll be picking up this book now!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by jbourneidentity:
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:

Benner, it's my understanding that it's the Gen 5 Glock 19 with Sig Sauer V-Crown 124 grain 9mm JHP ammo.

That was a great review, Sigfreund. This type of info is always awesome. Guess I'll be picking up this book now!

Posts: 3448 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Didn’t see this mentioned..their training Academy is located in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
Didn’t see this mentioned..their training Academy is located in Atlantic City, NJ.

Yes, there was discussion of a great deal of drama pertaining to the FAM Service getting its own training facility.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post