SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sig Optic Survives Three Days Under Water, Still Works
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Optic Survives Three Days Under Water, Still Works Login/Join 
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted
So, we had a flood here last Friday. As the digging out process continues at my house, I thought many of you might like to see first-hand just how well a Sig optic does in a real world disaster scenario.
This Romeo was on my 11” AR pistol in the trunk of my car.

The flood waters killed the car and its electronics. Plus, there was no keyed lock on the trunk. So, it sat in water for over three days before I could retrieve it.

Amazingly, it turned on when I picked it up. Who knows how long it will last, but I can tell you that Sig optics are pretty damn tough.

Just wanted to share.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good golly! I'm glad your optic survived, though it stinks your car didn't. Is there anything you need in the recovery process?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
vthoky-
Thank you for asking. We have flood insurance, homeowners insurance, and car insurance. Between them, I am hoping we will be okay.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! I knew they were solid sights but that is really encouraging. Sorry about the flood.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Not really surprising if you watch this video:

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Outstanding.

Now get that rifle cleaned up. You'll need to really clean all the gunk/silt out and oil all of the non-aluminum metal. Pay special attention to places like behind the locking lugs in the chamber. Removing the handguard will help with cleaning the outside of the barrel and inside of the handguard. I'd also disassemble the lower, to be able to really clean and oil the fire control group and buffer spring, and more easily clean out the inside of the receiver and buffer tube.

Also, a few suggestions for your rifle setup:

A) For the love of all that's holy, flip your rear sight the right way around. Big Grin It should be installed in the rearward slot on the upper, with the button towards the muzzle, and the folded body extended back over the flat spot above the charging handle. This positions the aperture closest to your eye, and also allows the windage adjustments to work as indicated with the directional arrow marked on the knob.

B) Move that optic a few slots backwards, so it's mounted on top of your receiver, not the handguard. Your free float handguard will move/twist relative to your barrel and receiver. That can throw off the zero on your optic. The handguard can even shift from things like applying tension using the sling, or bracing the handguard against a barricade or hard cover. Whereas the barrel and upper receiver are securely attached together. Also, the tall optic jutting out the top of the handguard can act as a lever on the handguard, further increasing the chances of the handguard shifting alignment if the rifle is dropped or banged around.

Handguard mounting is fine for a backup front sight, but not for a primary optic, unless it's a proprietary monolithic upper or one of the ultra-securely mounted handguard designs. If you want to maintain the slightly forward position of the optic, there are cantilever (diagonally slanted) mounts that will attach the base to the upper receiver but position the optic just forward of the base:

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
When life returns to normal (3-6 months), I will look at some of the suggestions you made, Rogue.
We have to rebuild our house, first.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the flood. Great to hear about the optics.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
So far, it’s been a bright spot (pun intended) in the shittiest week of our lives.
Viva Sig optics.

posted Hide Post
Best wishes for the recovery of your home and property. I can't even imagine.

Tony

Posts: 306 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Really sorry about your stuff. We had major flooding around here in 2008. The aftermath when the water receded was unbelievable. So much shit everywhere.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The aftermath when the water receded was unbelievable. So much shit everywhere.

Spot-on description of our house.
We will survive. Things will get better.

Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you. We got smacked hard by Hurricane Michael so I know where you're coming from. Hopefully insurance won't argue with you.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1362 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine dealing with a flood. We only had 1.5 inches of water in our old house (drain roots obstruction during a January thaw) and that was incredibly rough to deal with. Hope everyone is safe/healthy/etc. Best wishes for a fast rebuild. Frown

(Also, sweet lower.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
(Also, sweet lower.)

Yes, it is a sweet lower. I hope to disassemble it and scrub/oil like mad, this weekend.

We had 3.5 feet of water in the garage, and 18-20” inside the living area, front to back. Gun safe had about 3 feet of water as well.

posted Hide Post
John Camereon Swayzey would be proud!

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Ha. I know I’m old, because I knew what that meant almost immediately.

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Ha. I know I’m old, because I knew what that meant almost immediately.

When I was in college, I lost a Timex Ironman at a friend's lake house in about 3ft of water. A year later, he just happened to be looking down at the right place/right time and spotted the watch. Other than being VERY dirty and a few minutes off, the watch was in perfect working order. Cleaned it up and still have it to this day. Big Grin
(Everyone said I should have emailed Timex about it.)

Along those times, you should reach out to SIG and tell them your story. Wink
(In time, obviously. I've had a few inches of water in my home before, but I couldn't imagine feet. My heart goes out to you.)

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Snake.
Maybe one day down the road, I will do that.

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry that (flood) happened to you VNM. If you need a little financial help for things email me. I can send enough for groceries for a week if you need it. I wish you the best in the future.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post