SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What product shortages are we seeing already?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What product shortages are we seeing already? Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve read you need 70% alcohol for best virus deactivation. I don’t think vodka is strong enough.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Rubbing alcohol is hard to find. You can pour some on a container of baby wipes to make hand sanitizer wipes.
Could you improvise with Vodka ? It's mainly water and ethanol .

As long as it is 70% or more alcohol,which means at least 140 proof vodka.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember reading that Everclear (190 proof = 95%) disappeared from liquor stores at one point.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Common Sense?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Common Sense?

Winner.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking up on Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
What should we be stocking up on?

Playing cards, because when the shit hits the fan and you absolutely have to gamble, walmart will be closed.

A fighter pilot was giving a presentation to a group of boy scouts, who were very interested in his survival gear. He laid it on a table and explained each item.

"Which do you think is most important?" He asked. The ideas flowed. The salt tablets. The water. The pistol. Paracord. A radio.

The pilot pointed to a deck of playing cards. "This," he said, "is my most important asset. Does anyone know why?"

Suggestions flew. Use the polished face of a card for aa signal mirror. Start a fire. Roll a card to form a straw. Tape the card over a wound. Leave them to guide rescuers, or to mark a trail. All interesting ideas, but no.

"When I am alone in my cockpit at twenty five thousand feet, with no one to turn to for help, my radios and electronics gone, no guidance and no more ideas, I reach for the deck of cards. I lay them out and begin to play solitaire. When all is lost and I am most isolated and alone, sooner or later, someone will lean over my shoulder and tell me to put this black six on that red seven. Then I will ask that guy for help."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good general suggestions as always. It seems, though, that other than the products that dried up in the early days of the pandemic, no one is noticing what I asked about, i.e., items that are suddenly becoming more difficult to find in certain areas, like the windshield washer fluid example. The reason for my question was to get a bit of early warning of shortages that might spread, and there doesn’t seem to be much of that thus far.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Stopped at our Costco yesterday for the usual stock up and, yup, the TP was gone and paper towels going fast. Friggin' lemmings.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good general suggestions as always. It seems, though, that other than the products that dried up in the early days of the pandemic, no one is noticing what I asked about, i.e., items that are suddenly becoming more difficult to find in certain areas, like the windshield washer fluid example. The reason for my question was to get a bit of early warning of shortages that might spread, and there doesn’t seem to be much of that thus far.

First time around, tylenol and ibuprofen disappered locally. It wasn't to be found.

It's flu season. Only a percentage bother to get a flu shot each year. This year, it my be more important than other years. If compromised with one problem, one may be more susceptible to others. Likewise, many of those who have died with covid complications didn't actually die from covid, but from the pneumonia that followed. Many of us here are older than younger. Now is a good time to get a pneumonia shot, if you haven't had one. If you've had the PCV13, then get the PPSV23. Small insurance, but preparation is part of prevention.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I remember reading that Everclear (190 proof = 95%) disappeared from liquor stores at one point.

During the first pandemic of 2020 I stopped by ABC store to grab some vodka and asked about Everclear. It was $40 a gallon, they had ½ dozen gallons left but she said folks where buying it.

Before the election we were at Costco and the chicken products were plentiful, this past weekend it was almost picked through. Glad we have been stocking up and freezing for awhile.

I have not noticed any strange items being out of stock posed by OP around these parts.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alpo wet dog food has disappeared. The company replied to an email and said they are having supply issues with raw ingredients.

Posts: 12685 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
The company replied to an email and said they are having supply issues with raw ingredients.

That’s the sort of thing I’m wondering about. Most of the blame for shortages gets put on so-called “panic” buyers, but that’s not the only cause. Manufacturing and supply chain problems due to the various effects of COVID-19 are certainly due to at least part of it, but there isn’t nearly as much discussion of that.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
A lot of good points. I would add viatmins, multi, D, C and Zinc

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I changed the topic title to make my basic question clearer: What products are becoming scarce already?

General comments about what we should be thinking about and preparing for in general are helpful as well, but that isn't my primary question.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
TP and paper towels are non-existent in our local Costco. A buddy of mine who works there says they haven't had a shipment in over a week now.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Even here TP and paper towels gone again. I assured Deniseair we have enough to get through spring and have since summer.

As others said, the near-term items that will be short can be forecast from what we saw in spring. So I'm loading up on ground beef and chicken!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I am NOT A “PREPPER” in any way shape or form. I don’t have 6 years of MRE’s etc. etc.

That said, and maybe his is the Boy Scout in me, I just don’t understand how anybody above the poverty line doesn’t have enough “supplies in general” to weather a 2-4 week period if not a bit longer. I have ALWAYS had bottled water, canned and or dried food, basic meds and I certainly have never lived “day to day” as far as toilet paper goes.

I’m not saying folks should have a bunker and years of provisions but a week to a month is EASY and it’s not out of the realm of possibility to get snowed in, have a bad storm, have a fuel shortage etc. etc. nothing apocalyptic just every day stuff.

Also even at the height of this crap grocery stores were up and running and there was never an issue getting most things. May not be the meat you WANTED or soup you specifically WANTED etc. but it’s not like we were all out hunting feral cats and homeless folks to survive.

I mean Jesus the main thing we have to endure is sitting on our asses watching NETFLIX. (I know there are massive economic impacts at large and to peoples lives but I am only talking about the specifics of needs and shortages).

Point is “Be Prepared, because old Satan Claus is out there and he’s only getting stronger.”

Sorry I just love that line, but the point stands. Be an adult, be a tiny bit prepared for a wide range of things.

End of sermon.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to call 6 stores to find Lime Away,
Lowes had it , but not much

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 year old grandson who absolutely requires us to make poppy seed muffins for breakfast when he visits. We buy Krusteaz brand poppy seed muffin mix. It has been unavailable for 6 months. I know this is silly but Parker loves his muffins. The high point of his weekends with us is helping Grandma make muffins.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post