SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying guns on Gunbroker; etiquette when there's a problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying guns on Gunbroker; etiquette when there's a problem Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I transferred it. Guy claims he's in cardiac crisis and texted me pics from the ER. Could be honest but also sort of irrelevant to my situation.

100% the extra mags jammed in caused this...the marks line up perfectly with one.

A chargeback to the nice shop owner that was helping him wouldn't be fair after all.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I transferred it. Guy claims he's in cardiac crisis and texted me pics from the ER. Could be honest but also sort of irrelevant to my situation.

100% the extra mags jammed in caused this...the marks line up perfectly with one.

A chargeback to the nice shop owner that was helping him wouldn't be fair after all.

That may be true, but whoever said the shipping FFL was at fault is correct, they opened the box to confirm the serial number for their disposition book. They then closed box causing the damage if that is what caused it.

Leaving any sort of negative review for the seller would be misplaced. Poor practice for the shipping FFL.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

That may be true, but whoever said the shipping FFL was at fault is correct, they opened the box to confirm the serial number for their disposition book. They then closed box causing the damage if that is what caused it.

Leaving any sort of negative review for the seller would be misplaced. Poor practice for the shipping FFL.

If that's how the pistol was dropped off, the shipping FFL tossed it in a shipping box after logging it. Not their job to repack everything, even if they should know better.

This is an ongoing thing with my FFL...he stopped shipping for private sellers due to this exact type situation of being the middle-man. He's OCD about safe packing and also why he immediately took pics and called me. This was 100% preventable, not least of which by tossing 10rd mags in the trash.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

If that's how the pistol was dropped off, the shipping FFL tossed it in a shipping box after logging it. Not their job to repack everything, even if they should know better.

This is an ongoing thing with my FFL...he stopped shipping for private sellers due to this exact type situation of being the middle-man. He's OCD about safe packing and also why he immediately took pics and called me. This was 100% preventable, not least of which by tossing 10rd mags in the trash.

That's a really tough way to look at it, I won't argue, but all pistol boxes are relatively the same layout and size. How many thousands are shipped where the mag doesn't gouge the gun? The last person to move or manipulate the items in the box was the shipping FFL. They were careless with it. We have no idea how it was handed to them.

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The seller, once notified of the issue, should be the stand-up person and deal with it not leaving the buyer to point fingers. Alas, if I press either one, they point at each other.

I have two options; a chargeback and/or bad feedback.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
The seller, once notified of the issue, should be the stand-up person and deal with it not leaving the buyer to point fingers. Alas, if I press either one, they point at each other.

Fair enough, with that said, did you ask him to throw away the 10 rounds mags? I can understand the frustration getting something with that damage. No it doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, but you didn't pay for that. I get it.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Honestly had forgotten about the 10rd mags so no, didn't feel the need to say "please pack the extra mags separately"

posted Hide Post
I rarely buy on GB especially the last few years. I can’t speak to “etiquette” on that.

I can speak to not being an idiot though. Only an idiot stuffs metal magazines into a case that wasn’t designed for them. Whoever packed that case is a moron. I absolutely have seen damage to guns from improperly packed mags. That damage is worse than I have witnessed but to anyone reading, DON’T PACK EXTRA MAGS IN A CASE. A gun store should know this.

Posts: 7500 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d do both, given the lack of cooperation you’re experiencing.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IF he's in the hospital ER, it's possible someone in the family dropped it off for him and tossed the mags in, likely rubbed during transport, might not have been there at the sellers FFL when they closed it up.

Granted it should have been packed better but that's not on the shipping or receiving FFL for a private transfer it's on the seller.

Touch it up and take it to the range!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Many years back, I bought two guns in person at a shop in PA but had to have them shipped to my FFL here in VA due to federal laws.

https://imgur.com/a/iK7jh7d

I specifically asked them to throw away the plastic case that was included with one and ship the pistols wrapped in bubble-wrap. A game of telephone ensued and the person who shipped them on their end stuck both in the case and shipped them, damaging both (a West German P226 and a S&W 422). Needless to say, I wasn't happy but they did the right thing and offered a significant refund via check they mailed immediately.