SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buying guns on Gunbroker; etiquette when there's a problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buying guns on Gunbroker; etiquette when there's a problem Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I recently bought a Sig P226 that was listed as "New/Old Stock" on Gunbroker and the seller listed several payment methods, one of which was Visa/MC with no listed fees.

Upon winning the auction, I was instructed to finish the transaction through the GB portal. Totally fine up until this point. Problem is, they didn't have a payment processor set up so all I could do was select that as payment type.

They asked me to take a call from the shop they were shipping from to make payment. I checked the dealer out ahead of time; willing and legit. Ok, no prob...unusual and not how I'd conduct a transaction as a seller nor the outbound FFL.

Said FFL asked me to sign a slip of paper saying I was indeed authorizing my CC to be used. No problem....I agreed to use the CC for this transaction, all true.

Here's rub; literally. Pistol arrived with the extra magazines jammed in the Sig pistol case with the pistol and factory mag. They're 10rd mags...could have gone in the trash. No packing or wrap on the extra mags and should have been packed in the box, not the case and left a nasty mark on the trigger guard.

Pic my FFL sent me, as received right after he opened the case to log it in. I have not been over to see it yet in person. I should also add the disclaimer that my FFL is super anal about not touching any of my stuff except to log it in as he's been down this road more than once and knows I generally get nice/collectible stuff (not sure this counts being a P226 Select but it's not run of the mill to be sure)

Question:
Since the seller listed as "New Old/Stock" but also "As-is/No Returns, what would you expect is a fair resolution? I asked for a 25% refund to keep it or a complete refund of the pistol to include shipping costs both ways if I send it back. The seller said "that's not gonna happen".

Obviously, I can protest the CC charge but that screws the nice shop owner that helped the seller out. While I feel for him, that's between him and the seller.

Choices:
Full refund for all costs incurred after returning the item
25% partial refund and keep the pistol for diminished value
Suggest another alternative
Suck it up as risk of doing GB auctions
Nuke from orbit

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Additional facts; exchanging text messages with the seller tonight. He's incredulous that a mag could cause this problem given the foam in the case (I'm not, I've seen it happen before...the foam compresses for the wider pistol leaving mags to move around if placed closely) but he also confirmed that mark was not there when he dropped off for shipping.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the outcome with the seller, you need to be sure the guy on your end is taken care of.
He did nothing wrong.

Posts: 9517 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Pictures before the shipping?

Posts: 7358 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Pictures before the shipping?

Yeah. I don't think the mag could have done that.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Only three pics from the listing, none showing that angle. Seller confirms there were no defects in that spot. But yet, it's there now on receipt.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve come to the conclusion that buying a gun off Brokegunner is not that safe unless you already have a business relationship/experience with the seller.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I guess for me it would depend on what I was planning for the gun. I am not a collector and the few guns I have I shoot and beat up a bit. Like a new car, I know I'll be bummed at the first ding but I know it won't be the last.

If you are going to use this gun and don't expect to keep it in pristine condition then suck it up.

I think 25% discount is quite a lot for this small ding. To me, if you are asking for that much of a discount means you really don't want the gun with that damage. In that case I think the seller should provide a full refund and apology for the damage.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I don't believe this is really a collectible model, just another random variant. It's mostly the principle of the thing....buying New/Old Stock and it really being "Used". One doesn't pay the same.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I don't believe this is really a collectible model, just another random variant. It's mostly the principle of the thing....buying New/Old Stock and it really being "Used". One doesn't pay the same.

I agree with PGT, "new/old stock" and used are two completely different things. I haven't bought on GB for several years but didn't they have a dispute arrangement through GB and not the seller ?

Posts: 934 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I would suck it up and move on. I would however give no feedback and mentally note all players on the transaction (except your local FFL) as being parties I would never do business with again.

You have to make that call yourself of course.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
If you bought it to save it forever or thought it was an investment. Ask them to take it back and cover shipping or split shipping. If it's something you plan on using ask for a more reasonable discount.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"As is/No Returns" pretty much spells it out. Buying from Gunbroker is a 'you pays your money you takes your chances' kind of thing. I learned that the hard way too.

Add me to the camp of the mag didn't cause that. There's a reason there wasn't a picture from that angle posted.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The undisclosed damage looks pretty minor to me.
I think I’d suck it up.
Still, they should have better wrapped the loose mags.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24119 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you didn't like what you saw, you should have refused it and not taken it with you. I'm sure that's the way GB states it in auctions. Once you do a 4473 and take it it's yours JMO ?? Cool

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
color me confused, maybe,

it this what happened?

dude lists a SIG,
you buy it

dude has you call a dealer in his area to make payment,
dude drops off said SIG and dealer packs it,

arrives at your dealer with a blem,

correct?

if that is the case, the person(s) at fault here are not your receiving FFL, nor the dude you bought it from,

but the shipping FFL,

correct?

or did the seller do the pack job?

random thought, is that scratch or ding worth 25%?

and stiffing the CC ,,, maybe after the gun was returned,, otherwise,, don't seem right

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcl1960:
If you didn't like what you saw, you should have refused it and not taken it with you. I'm sure that's the way GB states it in auctions. Once you do a 4473 and take it it's yours JMO ?? Cool

I stated above I haven’t laid eyes on it yet much less done a 4473

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Deal w/I and move on. Leave a bad review on the seller with pics if you so desire.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
also to add, the payment gateway on GB is just that, a gateway, from your CC to the CC processor the person uses,

no way to refund back thru the gateway,

once GB gets there own payment system up and going,, maybe, but not yet ,

and for Clarity, I am a top 1000 bracket seller on GB,

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
so,,

whatcha do?