SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone own a Rivian (Don’t bring EV hate into this thread please)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone own a Rivian (Don’t bring EV hate into this thread please) Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have liked the Rivians since their inception. I think they look great and their function is very well thought out.
Now with this refresh they are super appealing especially their modular battery redesign is a big game changer in my eyes.
I would like an R1S. I travel to Cincinnati and my cabin in Southern Ky on occasion. Both are right about 100 miles away. Would not be road tripping it. All my charging would be done at the house we have low electricity costs here.

It checks a lot of boxes for me. I know a few folks here have electric vehicles, mainly Teslas, and a couple Mach e’s. Though can’t recall see anyone here with one.
I’d love to have one but EVs are certainly a bit of a new arena for most people.

Rivian owners specifically I am curious how you like/don’t like it. What is the repair network like, how do repairs work, etc.

Neighbor has a Tesla and the little Tesla mechanic truck has been there a time or two. I presume Rivian has the same sort of setup?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
It'd be at or near the top if I were thinking about one.
The new R2 & R3 look pretty appealing.
Guy on another forum I'm on has a quad motor R1T [replaced a Tesla M3P, which replaced. Golf R] & loves it.
He also has a 2016 [IIRC] Mustang GT350

Have talked to a couple R1T owners at the grocery store & they all rave about the truck. Had one guy that took his Houston to Pensacola & back without issue. Haven't caught a R1S owner yet.
Saw a ton of both in Bakersfield/LA last week.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16013 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of Spec Reviews on YouTube does a 1 year review that’s pretty comprehensive. It’s an hour long, but has timestamps. There is a lot to be admired for the Rivian…not sure how the R1S will be compared to the 1T but it’s more practical than any other EV truck currently available. The new Silverado is supposedly pretty impressive.

Posts: 724 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
You must be made of money? Cause no young family man working on a leo income would consider going into debt for something like that. At least one who had any sense Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19764 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
You must be made of money? Cause no young family man working on a leo income would consider going into debt for something like that. At least one who had any sense Wink

So much for the OP’s request to leave EV HATE (or just hate in general) out of his thread.

Posts: 3346 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDHunz:
Out of Spec Reviews on YouTube does a 1 year review that’s pretty comprehensive. It’s an hour long, but has timestamps. There is a lot to be admired for the Rivian…not sure how the R1S will be compared to the 1T but it’s more practical than any other EV truck currently available. The new Silverado is supposedly pretty impressive.

Considering the R1T and R1S are essentially mechanically the same it really should not matter much.

This generation 2 refresh really seems pretty impressive.
Cut out 10 control modules, 1.5 miles of wiring saving 45 pounds, making the battery more modular and easier to repair and replace, using a more efficient style of motor, and a much better and efficient HVAC unit. Among many other changes.

quote:

Pretty much 0% chance of getting one but sometimes it does not hurt to kick some tires to remind you are good with what ya got.
But I am hoping someone here has one as I take far more stock in folks here than other internet sources.

If I am lucky I get 13mpg in my current truck and I think EV technology is pretty cool and the abilities of these Rivians are pretty slick.
So they are pretty intriguing to me.

Would actually prefer to get rid of my wife’s jalopy for one. It would serve us great 49 weeks out of the year as her daily.

We take a 3 week vacation every summer and it would be an absolute no go having to charge it.
And we aren’t taking my truck 13mpg and 3 boys under 10 all in the same row, not a chance!!!

————————————————

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think this is the company that makes an SUV with a solar roof that will charge up about 10 miles of range a day just from the sun. Super cool stuff IMO!

Not a big deal for most but for me this function is awesome as I have a 2 mile commute to work and don’t drive much at all around town as I try to use my e-bikes for errands and to get around town as much as I can.

I don’t see many Rivians in my town but I did finally see a Tesla Cybertruck out in the wild. Flame me if y’all want but I kinda like its funky looks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I don't own a Rivian, but as you guys know I do own a Mustang Mach E.

With that being said, the used EV market is a bargain compared to a new one right now.

When Musk lowered the price on Tesla's the whole market had to follow suit to compete and prices are coming down.

Check out used Rivian's and I bet you will be surprised by the pricing with low milage. I did a quick search and they are in the 58k to 68k range.

Rivian like Ford has a deal in place to use the Tesla charging network with an adapter or the few super chargers that have the adapter built in to the units. This will make the road charging experience better.

Yes, the EV hate is strong but I thoroughly enjoy my EV.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3648 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Our Tesla Y has needed 0 maintenance besides tires after 3 years and 40k miles of family hauling duty.

One thing people do not usually think about when considering EVs is that they do go through tires faster because of the curb weight and the torque capability of the motors(regenerative braking has a cost here too, it's still braking). We don't get more than a year or two out of the snow tires we keep on it. I'm sure some think that's a pretty stupid thing to do.

The other thing is glass is expensive, pay extra for a low windshield deductible if you drive on the highway a lot.

Owning an EV is a complete wash cost-wise IME vs owning a nice ICE vehicle, meaning go for it if you want to. My DD is an ICE BMW that will make a lot of old farts here cross their eyes with its maintenance costs(which are not that bad).

I certainly don't regret having an EV in the garage, then again, you just can't tell us stupid kids a damn thing these days... Wink

Posts: 5228 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Black92LX knows I like and respect him and enjoy his posts and knowledge. No hate there. Take a breath sigarmsp226 before you post. It is all good. And, I hope he is made of money Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19764 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Very little Highway driving. But Kentucky requires windshields to be replaced by insurance and I have $0 deductible for comprehensive.

As for used I really like a lot of the upgrades for the Gen 2 that just was announced. There are a number of software upgrades that the 1st gen will get eventually get but a lot of hardware and mechanical upgrades as well that will not be available to the 1st gen.

There are tons of Teslas here, a couple cyber trucks, and a decent number of Rivians.

————————————————

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I don't own one, but I see lots of them every day as they are built about 3 miles from my house.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I read an article lately discussing how expensive it is to insure Rivians, since they are very expensive to fix even after a small fender bender. So, might want to research that.

https://www.theautopian.com/he...minor-fender-bender/

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does Rivian get to use the Tesla charging network like some of the others. That might be a consideration.

Another consideration if you are buying new is you might want to buy it before the election. If Trump wins there is a good possibility that he will get rid of the tax payer funded $7,500 rebate.

This guy bought a Rivian and he gives some good straight forward opinions on things. You might want to watch a few of his videos on them.

https://m.youtube.com/@JerryRi.../search?query=Rivian

quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
I read an article lately discussing how expensive it is to insure Rivians, since they are very expensive to fix even after a small fender bender. So, might want to research that.

We’re all paying for that through subsidies on our own insurance rates (total b.s.). My insurance agent let it slip when I asked her why my rates rocketed up. She said that they are subsidizing EV insurance rates or no one would buy an EV.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an R1T. Love it. Drives/handles great, good stereo, good off road, stupid fast. ~15k miles, no real issues. Tailgate hydraulics went out, they came out to fix it. Scheduling service is a bit of a shit show; depending on where you live could be weeks to get in. Mobile service is better, but they are limited as to what they can perform. But as mentioned haven't really needed it.

I lived about 10 miles from a service center so getting in was easy. Just moved to Maine and nearest service center is in Chelsea, so ~2.5 hrs away. Will see how that goes.

I do 99% of my charging at home but local charging network is something to consider if you need it. The range is decent, but if you expect to need access to charging, something to think about. There are a few Rivian forums out there where you can more info than you can probably use, but helpful to peruse to see what issues or praise people have had.

Posts: 167 | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
quote:

So much for the OP’s request to leave EV HATE (or just hate in general) out of his thread.

He’s not hating on EV’s. Have you seen the cost of what is being discussed? It’s awfully expensive for what it is, no matter how much someone wants to rub their nuts on one. $80,000 my man. I could buy a brand new AT4 Duramax for that and a 6 month old top trim Nissan Leaf for that money.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jeremy, my boss has one. I have gone for a few rides and driven it a few times. It’s badass. It’s got somewhere in the range of 900 torque and HP. It’s on 35” BFG mud tires and it’s fast as fuck, like 3 some seconds 0-60.
It is feature heavy and quite the luxury SUV.
Charging is stupid. You have to buy the Tesla adapter so you can reliably charge at all the Tesla stations.

While it’s badass and I have very little bad to say about it, at the trim level he has, it was a bit north of $100k. That said, my boss has no issues affording it. That’s less than his annual country club fees for golf.

I honestly don’t think it’s worth the money. I’d wait a year or two and buy one on the used market. I have a feeling once the “newest, coolest” factor wears off, they will resell for a lot less.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:

https://www.theautopian.com/he...minor-fender-bender/

I read a different article about the same repair and there is no doubt that body shop are scamming.
They had to repaint THE ENTIRE TRUCK please. Body shops have been matching panels for decades.
My wife drives a 9 year old Suburban with the White Diamond Tricoat paint color. It’s the iridescent pearly white which is beautiful when clean. She got bumped over the winter and a metal panel and plastic panel had to be painted. I know exactly what was painted and I can’t even tell.

They undoubtably took a lot of liberties they knew they could because of the limited amount of folks working on these.

However it is still a consideration

quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Does Rivian get to use the Tesla charging network like some of the others. That might be a consideration.

Another consideration if you are buying new is you might want to buy it before the election. If Trump wins there is a good possibility that he will get rid of the tax payer funded $7,500 rebate.

Yes you can use the Tesla chargers with an adapter. The $7500 is a big incentive.

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

While it’s badass and I have very little bad to say about it, at the trim level he has, it was a bit north of $100k. That said, my boss has no issues affording it. That’s less than his annual country club fees for golf.

I honestly don’t think it’s worth the money. I’d wait a year or two and buy one on the used market. I have a feeling once the “newest, coolest” factor wears off, they will resell for a lot less.

This is pretty much where I am at. If the battery modularity was incorporated into the 1st gens I’d be more apt to consider one.

I wish they would make a stripped down model. Just give me a 350 miles of real world battery range, AWD capability, and comfy seats that’s all I really need.
I don’t need all these crazy quirks and features, crazy lighting, app connectivity, $495 Bluetooth speaker hidden in the console (I think this has been done away with for 2nd gen). I don’t need to go zero to 60 quicker than I can sneeze.

With Hertz dumping these Model 3s for like $25k and the $4k tax credit. I really would not mind grabbing one. They are just small for having 3 kids.

————————————————

Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Do you guys have a 220v circuit run to your garage or do you just plug your ev into a 110 outlet that's already there?

How much does it cost to have a circuit run?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6899 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I buddy of mine has had one for about a year. He absolutely loves it. We've had only minor talks about it since I drive a Model 3 and he's Rivian.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8936 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post