SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is AppleCare + worth getting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is AppleCare + worth getting? Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I'm considering getting a new laptop and the subject of AppleCare + came up when I was speaking with a salesperson on the phone.

I looked it up on the Apple site and was surprised to see a rather hefty charge for any screen damage in addition to the cost of the plan.

What say the MacBook users here? Good deal or pass?

Thanks!

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
99% of time extra warranties are a waist of money. That’s why they sell them and push them so hard. Pure profit for the company. That being said, there’s always that one time it would help!

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I've never been tempted by extended warranties for vehicles, appliances or even other electronic items like TV's, etc. but I'm wondering if having 24/7 access to OS and software issue support might make it worthwhile.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought it early on with a few Apple products, never used it, so it's always a big fat NO for me!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy it on iPhones and have used it twice. Excellent service, but yes pricy but done right and not by mall kiosk kids. Don't think I would buy it on laptop unless you are protecting against theft in workplace or moreso school.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For iPhones, a company called Square sells a similar insurance for much less money. For laptops, I wouldn't bother. I carried an Apple notebook for 14 years plus, often on the back of a motorcycle, and never broke a screen or had a non-software related problem.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
For someone like my wife, it's worth getting. For me, not worth getting. She always manages to break shit. Probably break an Abram tanks if given the chance. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I am 100% against extended warranties on literally every product BUT MacBook Pros (and dehumidifiers, but that's another subject). Having DIY/personally replaced a keyboard (larger expensive internal assembly) from a tiny spill. Knowing how expensive parts are, and seeing current prices for the MBP itself, I would recommend it.

If you use a MB like I do now (tied to a monitor, sitting on a desk, with an external keyboard as the primary, then perhaps it's a waste. But if you use the MBP as a laptop REALLY, then I'd get it.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Extended warranties are so bad that I use them as a reference to bad things that you shouldn't buy.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple care is worth the cost, to me. This last year, the keyboard on my laptop went out. Replaced, no problem. A couple of phones have had issues. Apple products tend to hold up well, but apple does also take care of everything if there's a problem, using apple care, or their initial warranty.

It's extra expense until you need it. Then it's a savings.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Used it a couple of times on there phone. Dropped a new phone in a cup of coffee. Took it there and they replaced it no problem. Girl asked me about the smell and I told her. She shrugged and said no problem getting a new phone.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple Store Purchase Plan Requires Apple Care. You can decide whether you want to pay extra for loss and theft. I haven't needed to use it though. The one repair I needed was a half dead earpiece on an iPhone X but it was covered under normal warranty.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
A good rule of thumb for warranty and insurance is that you should not pay more than 10% of the item’s value. If an item is worth $1000. Then the most you should pay is $100 for any warranty or insurance. Keep in mind that the item is also depreciating. What’s the thing worth after a year. All things varies. This is JUST a rule of thumb. I have met people that defy this and go nuts and those that won’t pay for anything. YMMV.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
Used it on a previous iMac I had. I have it on this newer iMac. Not on iPhones thou.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Pass.

The only time AppleCare was for an iPhone. You could drop or lose your phone. It's a lot less likely that you're going to drop or lose a MacBook.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Apple Store Purchase Plan Requires Apple Care.

Come again??

I have purchased multiple Apple products this way and not been required to purchase Apple Care.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Their iPhone upgrade program requires AppleCare since Apple still owns the phone until you pay it off. That’s the only product I know of that requires AppleCare as apart of the sale.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Their iPhone upgrade program requires AppleCare since Apple still owns the phone until you pay it off. That’s the only product I know of that requires AppleCare as apart of the sale.

But only if you buy the iPhone from Apple, not if you buy it from someone else.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:

But only if you buy the iPhone from Apple, not if you buy it from someone else.

That's why I said Apple Store Purchase Plan. DanH is more correct that it is the Apple Store iPhone Upgrade Program, which is only available directly through Apple, and not from anyone else.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

That's why I said Apple Store Purchase Plan. DanH is more correct that it is the Apple Store iPhone Upgrade Program, which is only available directly through Apple, and not from anyone else.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.