SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KEY stuck in lock
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KEY stuck in lock Login/Join 
posted
Luckily, I had a spare got in through another door and googled solution which worked. Graphite or WD 40 or ballistol to prevent recurrence? Have plenty but no graphite. I think graphite is not best. Cannot recall. Thanks

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silicone spray.

NOT WD40.

Posts: 1361 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I've always used graphite. I thought using a "wet" lube would attract dust and cause the same problem again.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Houdini spray. You’ll thank me later.

You don’t want to use graphite or silicon in a key mechanism.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There are some light spray lubes that are specifically marketed for use in locks. Graphite is the old (old!) recommended lube, but I could never understand why anyone would have used it in the past 50 years or so.

As for the belief that having a can of WD40 in the same county as a lock will cause it to gum up and eat your key the first time it’s inserted, for years before buying a specific lock lube I would spray it into locks until it ran out, and never had any problems. I see no reason to use it for locks now, but all the locks I used the stuff in still work just fine.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I use Triflow. Good stuff if you can find it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I use Triflow. Good stuff if you can find it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRI-F...dExpress!08232!US!-1

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8674 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucky...0:g:iN0AAOSwxlxcZGcm

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8674 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot some Breakfree CLP in my locks every now and again and they work great after years of doing so.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The Houdini stuff is on amazon. More expensive but has prime shipping. I would not trust eBay.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

+100. Houdini lock lube is awesome.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too recommend Triflow. Learned about it when we were riding ATV's a lot. Excellent lubricant that does not attract dust and dirt.

Thanks downtownv for the link, just picked up 3 more cans at a great price!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Silicone spray.

NOT WD40.

What about WD40 silicone spray?

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yes, you want graphite for your locks.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
Silicone spray.

NOT WD40.

What about WD40 silicone spray?

Then it's not Water Displacement #40 [formula], is it? Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14148 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I know we have one Sigforumite who works for the world's largest lock manufacturer, Assa Abloy. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say on lock lubricant.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23659 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WD40 and the silicon product are not at all the same. WD40 is a solvent. It is not a lubricant, regardless of the advertising.

Graphite is not a good idea in a lock.

A stuck key should be gently pushed and pulled while turning in the direction of rotation and back; both motions at the same time. If it's absolutely stuck, you can try something like Kroil or other penetrating oil. Your other solution is to remove the lock mechanism, or if it's a padlock, cut the lock (or saw).

Something else you can try if you have one is an engraving tool or massaging vibrator against the key while doing the motion mentioned above; the vibration motion may be enough to displace the pins and free the key or allow the tumbler to rotate, if it's stuck in place. Once the key is out, you're best off replacing the lock.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something else you can try if you have one is a.......massaging vibrator against the key while doing the motion

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I used Rem Oil when I had a stuck lock. Worked great.

If it's good enough for my guns, it's good enough for my locks.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used Motor oil, as in straight off the dipstick. It's always there when you need it and all you have to do is drip a drop or two on the key and insert it into the lock.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post