SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KEY stuck in lock
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KEY stuck in lock Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I've always used graphite. I thought using a "wet" lube would attract dust and cause the same problem again.

+1. Always have used dry lube on locks.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know we have one Sigforumite who works for the world's largest lock manufacturer, Assa Abloy. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say on lock lubricant.
^^^^^^^^^^
Keep me posted when he does. The climate here is hot and humid with salt in air after hurricanes. I do not live on the beach, but when Ike came by here on way to Texas it shorted out all the transformers close to the water. I am ten miles inland so it did not happen here. I wonder if this lock lube is climate specific. One lube for dry climate, another for wet. Whatever they use in Houston would work here.

Thanks tatortodd for being on the lookout. I do not know his Forum name so will check back from time to time. Congrats on the win today.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Houdini spray. Used it for many years on outdoor switchyard master laminated locks. Recommended by a locksmith who used it everywhere. Proved to be much better than the WD-40 we used for stuck locks in the early 70's.

Posts: 1221 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes, you want graphite for your locks.

Negative. Talk to a locksmith. He’ll tell you otherwise.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The locksmiths at the hardware store where I used to work used nothing but Tri-Flow. These were real locksmiths, not like the guys you find in the doorknob section at Lowes.

Posts: 8275 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Yes, you want graphite for your locks.

Negative. Talk to a locksmith. He’ll tell you otherwise.

I'll take it under advisement.

Anyway, yes. Graphite. For normal maintenance on locks. Use it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I know we have one Sigforumite who works for the world's largest lock manufacturer, Assa Abloy. I'd be interested in hearing what he has to say on lock lubricant.

Present.

I was the Pres/CEO of Adams Rite until we sold the biz to ASSA ABLOY. We always suggested people use powdered (not spray) graphite in the mortise cylinders for our locks; but I will ask the tech support people at sister company Medeco on Monday and report back - if anyone knows they will. Not sure graphite would be good for the lock mechanism; but its fine on the pin cylinders. We lube the locks at the factory *sparingly* with a special grease that costs $190/kg

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
I've always used Motor oil, as in straight off the dipstick. It's always there when you need it and all you have to do is drip a drop or two on the key and insert it into the lock.

How do you get the dip stick in the key hole when the key is stuck in the lock?? Any tricks? Big Grin

I have found that when new keys are made, there can be a ruff edge on the key that gets hung up on the tumblers.

Posts: 11893 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was the Pres/CEO of Adams Rite until we sold the biz to ASSA ABLOY. We always suggested people use powdered (not spray) graphite in the mortise cylinders for our locks; but I will ask the tech support people at sister company Medeco on Monday and report back - if anyone knows they will. Not sure graphite would be good for the lock mechanism; but its fine on the pin cylinders. We lube the locks at the factory *sparingly* with a special grease that costs $190/kg

^^^^^^^^^

I understand what you said and appreciate the feedback. What should I spray in the hole where the key goes? It is a humid environment with dirt getting blown in by the lawn guy and his weedeater.

I apologize for not being able to speak the language of lock engineering.{ I am serious not being sarcastic}. Thank you for taking the time.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

^^^^^^^^^

I understand what you said and appreciate the feedback. What should I spray in the hole where the key goes? It is a humid environment with dirt getting blown in by the lawn guy and his weedeater.

I apologize for not being able to speak the language of lock engineering.{ I am serious not being sarcastic}. Thank you for taking the time.

What kind/brand of lock? What to use depends on the type of lock, and I'd prefer to ask Medeco engineers on Monday so I don't speak BS mistakenly.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excellent question. I think you answered my question, which should be what do you spray into a cheap Quikset lock?

I think the answer might be get a better lock like Medeco. But if you had a stuck key in a CHEAP QUICKSET, what would you use. I will understand if you defer answering, I should have been specific in my question. My apologies.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Never had a key stuck in a cheap Kwikset lock, but have used powdered graphite (big squeeze bottle from an ag supply store labeled for seed planter, works like a charm) on the even cheaper Kwikset clones that came in the mobile home, the Kwikset we replaced the first to die with, and the Schlages that we finally replaced all the Kwikset & clone locks with.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Graphite has been working as a dry lubricant for locks for probably over 100 years. It doesn’t gum up with age, or attract dust.

The take-away from this thread seems to be that there a number of products that will work. Some are probably more effective than others in certain conditions. Having had personal experience with WD-40 turning into something much like varnish after several years, I would avoid using it as a lubricant in any mechanism.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Our front door lock was sticking and was on my list of "Things To Fix."

I came home from work and the key turned easily and smoothly. My wife had grabbed the first thing at hand, an aerosol can of WD-40 with white lithium grease and she shot a spritz into the keyhole.

That was three or four years ago, and the lock is still functioning smoothly.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^ That's the exact stuff I've used.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I will be interested in the response from the people who know, but one thing that continually bugs me:

Magnets attract (pull toward them) certain types of metal.
The imaginary “tractor beam” of science fiction attracts (pulls toward it) various objects.
The gravity produced by matter attracts (pulls toward it) everything, including light.

Oil and grease will capture and hold things like dust and grit that come in contact with them, but they don’t “attract” anything in any practical way. Put a small grain of sand directly next to a blob of grease and it will stay there forever if nothing causes it to move.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I will be interested in the response from the people who know, but one thing that continually bugs me:

Magnets attract (pull toward them) certain types of metal.
The imaginary “tractor beam” of science fiction attracts (pulls toward it) various objects.
The gravity produced by matter attracts (pulls toward it) everything, including light.

Oil and grease will capture and hold things like dust and grit that come in contact with them, but they don’t “attract” anything in any practical way. Put a small grain of sand directly next to a blob of grease and it will stay there forever if nothing causes it to move.

Surely you are familiar with the concept of the “figure of speech”.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I use Triflow. Good stuff if you can find it.

^^ This ^^

Years ago I tried Graphite powder and it turned black all over the key which in turn stained your hand and then your clothes.

Triflow ordered from Amazon nowadays. But I also used WD-40 with no problems.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1437 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
There are Teflon products that are great for lubricating locks, and it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they are used by some lock manufacturers and/or locksmiths.

The problem lies with the end user who is standing in front of a fully assembled lock with who knows what inside it. In a perfect world whatever you choose will flush out the junk while creeping into places that lubricant needs to be. Once there you don’t want it to attract future filth or gum up.

If you could disassemble the lock, clean it, and lubricants it prior to reassembly it would be a different story.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will Houdini spray, Triflow, or the other recommended products be useful for keeping locks from freezing up in winter, or is that a different kettle of fish?

A couple of times each winter the locks on the Dodge (stays outside) get frozen and stay that way until they are warmed by the sun (or hair dryer) so if the above are either a fix or a preventative measure (if not one and the same), that would be great!

Posts: 5026 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post