SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fred Ward has died
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fred Ward has died Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted

quote:
Actor Fred Ward has died, according to his publicist, Ron Hofmann

The star, who brought gentlemanly gruffness to films that included The Right Stuff, Tremors, Henry and June and The Player died Sunday, May 8 at the age of 79. No cause of death was given.

Ward brought reservoirs of tenderness to his tough guy roles, and plenty of street credibility. A former boxer, lumberjack and short-order cook who served in the U.S. Air Force, Ward went to acting school and got his start when he moved to Rome as a young man and worked as a mime, then a voice-over actor. That led to a few appearances in TV productions by Italian neorealist pioneer Roberto Rossellini, and then Hollywood. Ward made his U.S. movie debut as a convict in the Clint Eastwood movie Escape from Alcatraz in 1979.

"The unique thing about Fred Ward is that you never knew where he was going to pop up, so unpredictable were his career choices," Hofmann wrote in an email. "He could play such diverse characters as Remo Williams, a cop trained by Chiun, Master of Sinanju (Joel Grey) to become an unstoppable assassin in Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins, or Earl Bass, who, alongside Kevin Bacon, battle giant, worm-like monsters hungry for human flesh in 'cult' horror/comedy film, Tremors (1990), or a detective in the indie film Two Small Bodies (1993) directed by underground filmmaker Beth B., or a terrorist planning to blow up the Academy Awards in The Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994), or the father of the lead character in Jennifer Lopez's revenge thriller Enough (2002)."

ROSAL

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think my favorite of his roles was in "Miami Blues".

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Don't we also have a Fredward here?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
"Well, I guess we don't get to make fun of Burt's lifestyle anymore."

RIP.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Don't forget his role as Gus Grissom in "The right Stuff".

RIP Mr. Ward.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Bummer, he had some good roles. RIP Fred.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
God Bless Fred! I will miss you!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've seen many of his movies. He always played tough, gruff, abrasive characters whether the film was an action, drama, or comedy.

He was great in Uncommon Valor as a former tunnel rat. One of his more mainstream roles was playing Reese Witherspoon's father in Sweet Home Alabama. "Can't ride two horses with one ass."

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it. Loved his work in "Tremors".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I always wanted to see more from Remo Williams. Rest In Peace.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Me too. I wanted to see more Remo Williams movies. I always thought he did a great job in that movie but obviously it didn't seem to find an audience.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
RIP Joe Dirts pappy

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
Me too. I wanted to see more Remo Williams movies. I always thought he did a great job in that movie but obviously it didn't seem to find an audience.

I remember the end left the possibility of a sequel so open it was a given. Never happened. Too bad. I enjoyed it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was a good actor in my opinion. RIP Remo.

Posts: 507 | Registered: February 14, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Don't we also have a Fredward here?

First thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Just watched him as the not so nice Lonnie Reese in Southern Comfort recently. Damn. Rest In Peace Mr. Ward. I enjoyed your work.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was one of those unsung actors

I liked him in Remo Williams, Uncommon Valor and Tremors.

He had an interesting life before acting.

He spent 3 years in the Air Force.
He was also a boxer (breaking his nose three times) and worked as a lumberjack in Alaska,janitor, and short-order cook.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I had high hopes for the Remo Williams movie but there was such controversy with the casting, it seemed to kill any momentum the movie might have had. Mr. Ward completely disappeared off my radar until "Tremors," which is now my favorite of his works.

Rest in peace, Mr. Ward.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
RIP Joe Dirts pappy

Completely forgot about Joe Dirt. What a great movie.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
RIP. Always enjoyed his performance.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post