SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why are men genetically predisposed to screw up every package they try to wrap?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are men genetically predisposed to screw up every package they try to wrap? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Why, genetically?

Yes, "Y", genetically.

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness for those gift bags.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I used to do real nice job wrapping gifts. And then 30 years ago or so I started wrapping presents for my niece and nephew when they were little. I would leave the paper loose with big gaps so that they could get their little fingers in there and tear the paper easily.

Apparently that caused my up till then dormant natural male present wrapping gene to kick in, because I've never been able to do a nice job since.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Men are supposed to be better at such jobs because we have better spatial awareness and mechanical ability, or something. If we can’t do it, it’s a matter of will, not ability.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47357 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have a rare condition where I was born with ten thumbs... I don’t even have to write a “from” on gifts. Everyone knows who they’re from Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, I frequently went shopping with my mom. If she bought a gift in a department store, she would send me to the gift wrapping department to get it wrapped. I watched and learned.

I can wrap a gift like a pro. Having the right tools and supplies helps the process. I use sharp scissors and good tape (regular and double sided). Before you start wrapping, have several cut pieces of tape temporarily stuck to the edge of the table ready for use.

Posts: 3228 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I’m good at square items smaller than a bread box. I suck at big items and/or odd shaped items. For example, one Christmas I bought Dad a soundbar with subwoofer. The manufacturer shaped the box like a guitar. I nearly took a picture, printed it, and put it in a card. Instead, I wrapped that odd shaped SOB and used up a roll of paper and half roll of scotch tape. Dad certainly didn’t guess what it was but the wrapping job didn’t look good to me.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23086 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I can do it, but choose not to, agree that sharp scissors, a good eye for size, sharp folds and creases, good tape and it's easy peasy.

I'll buy everything and take it to the wrapping table at the mall, that way I get all kinds of different paper used, nice packages wrapped by mostly ladies who accept my donation to the church/cause.

They live to wrap...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
trash bag & electrical tape (color matched to holiday, I ain't a caveman). no card/nametag. wife knows.
Wife spends $10 on bag/card for a $25 gift.

Posts: 3296 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wrapped a Christmas present up in newspaper once as a gag

I thought I did a nice job having the headline readable on the gift...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53073 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Whoever mentioned selective incompetence has it right.

I don't like wrapping, but I can do a neat job of it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I wrapped a Christmas present up in newspaper once as a gag

I thought I did a nice job having the headline readable on the gift...

My dad has a tradition of giving books on Valentine's day. His dad gave him books, as I understand it.

He wraps the books in the funny papers. It is his thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
It's a crap shoot on how they look, usually at least one side looks good. That is the display side under the tree

Posts: 5291 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When I was much younger, I used to wrap gifts in the stock pages of the WSJ.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Because we just really care?

It’s gonna be ripped up anyway.

It’s like me building a beautiful house, and then having someone run into it with a wrecking ball. Yeah, it’s exactly like that.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
If you can put a condom on, you can properly package any parcel for shipping.

How soon after I put the condom on do I have to start the gift wrapping?

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6705 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
If you can put a condom on, you can properly package any parcel for shipping.

How soon after I put the condom on do I have to start the gift wrapping?

Depends on the type of medication you took and the dosage. Wink

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife jokes that it's easy to tell which gifts I wrapped because the job is not department store gift wrap level. I don't care. If the stripes line up great if one corner is bent no big deal. I've threatened to put gifts in paper bags and staple them shut.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
For me it reminds me of folding clothes, I can get close but never perfect. Wife will show me that the way I fold clothes leaves wrinkles...she has OCD, and that’s what I love about her.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4806 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Whoever mentioned selective incompetence has it right.

I don't like wrapping, but I can do a neat job of it.

This ^^^^^

I don't like wrapping, either. But I do it, and I do it well. Better than my wife and most other people, in fact. Given a small enough box I can do it with two small bits of tape.

And I'm a guy who can't saw a straight line free-hand to save my soul Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25991 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post