SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    On Running shoes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On Running shoes Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Since I’m headed to Finland in April and doing a bunch of walking I figured I should buy a nice pair of shoes.

On running turned out to be my choice. The CloudMonster shoes. Extremely comfy shoes. I won’t run in them but wow you hardly feel the pavement with them being so cushy.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
CloudMonster

Interesting. They sound comfortable. I might look into them if I can find a local b&m that carries them.

Only thing is that I’ve had plantar issues - I do much better now with firm insoles / soles that don’t flex too much.

But soft and firm, like a pillow top mattress, may be good.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://karhu.com/

You can buy running shoes made in Finland in Finland.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I tried a pair (Cloud Monochrome) to run in them and the goofy bottom really picked up the mud in winter on trail. So I went back to Brooks. But I kept them for normal wear/walking and like them.

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thx for the tip. Not familiar with the brand.

We have many, many miles on Hoka running shoes (the "Bondi" model seems to work best for us), but as the miles (and years) have continued to pile up, we are always looking for a shoe with improved shock absorbing qualities to minimize wear and tear...

We trudge on (and on).

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I’m not a runner, but walk a lot for exercise.

Like lots of “geezers” my default shoes were New Balance. But, as I walked more regularly, my feet started hurting and I needed to try something else.

I’d heard of Hokas but the ones I saw looked so ugly I’d never wear them. Finally, a friend who is a Hoka fanboy got me to a local running store where they fitted me for shoes. They produced a pair of Hokas that actually looked “normal”. I tried them and was sold.

I walk in them 3 or 4 times a week and they feel great.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6418 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Something to keep in mind is that the mesh uppers on dedicated running shoes are designed to be thin, breathable, and light. As a result, they typically aren't that durable when it comes to scrapes/scuffs/obstacles/plantlife that you will encounter while wearing them around like walking shoes, and they also aren't insulated so your feet may be more likely to get cold (especially in Finland), and are more likely to get wet in the rain.

Whereas shoe types like walking shoes and trails shoes tend to have more durable and more insulated uppers while still offering running shoes-style cushioning on the soles. This comes at the cost of a bit of extra weight compared to dedicated running shoes, but this won't matter in your case since you're not planning to run in them at all.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Something to keep in mind is that the mesh uppers on dedicated running shoes are designed to be thin, breathable, and light. As a result, they typically aren't that durable when it comes to scrapes/scuffs/obstacles/plantlife that you will encounter while wearing them around like walking shoes, and they also aren't insulated so your feet may be more likely to get cold (especially in Finland), and are more likely to get wet in the rain.

Whereas shoe types like walking shoes and trails shoes tend to have more durable and more insulated uppers while still offering running shoes-style cushioning on the soles. This comes at the cost of a bit of extra weight compared to dedicated running shoes, but this won't matter in your case since you're not planning to run in them at all.

This, I took a new pair of Nikes on our Cruise to Alaska, really not a good idea. While comfortable at home with short trips, they showed their problems on the longer walks.

Shoes ended up rubbing my feet wrong, too narrow, by the mid way on the trip I couldn't put them on my feet and walk. We ended up at a sporting goods store and getting the only pair of size 14 walking shoes. Made all the difference.

Whatever you get, put some distance on them before you go, be sure they are going to be what you need.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
For floirda daily wear they are amazing. I have 3 paris, my daughter has 2 and my wife has 1. I am totally sold on their product. The trail shoes are waterproof for real and I find they are very durable.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5133 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have VERY flat feet, so I wear the Xero line of shoes, which have no arches, or are "zero drop." They also have very thin, hard insoles, which suit me well. I usually wear a pair of over the ankle ones. The also make excellent running shoes.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my first pair of On sneakers a week or so ago. I have issues with one foot that was broken in several places after a motorcycle accident and have a hard time finding comfortable (for me) shoes. These things are great and I definitely recommend them.

Posts: 342 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Saucony. I've been buying athletic shoes for near 50 years. I've never found a more comfortable than Saucony. A bit pricy, but your feet will thank you. I've been using the TEMPUS model and really liking them.

link

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On is a major Swiss-based footwear brand, they started over 10-years ago and have grown quite a bit, with solid market penetration here in the US, particularly in specialty running which is their strength. Their minimalist look, unique open-foam cushioning design and 'cloud' naming convention helped set them apart from other footwear brands. Rodger Federer (also Swiss) was a sponsor of theirs and helped popularize the brand globally. The Cloudracer is the style that put them on the map, a running shoe. Cloudmonster is definitely competing with Hoka in the high-stack, max cashion shoes.

As for using running shoes for walk/hiking...you can use them, however you may find that they come up short in some attributes. Lightweight, breathable, responsive underfoot, colorful...all good BUT, may not be ideal for a slower tempo activity like hiking where stability, durability/protection and traction are more important traits. Trail running shoes are becoming popular for hikers who want many of the attributes from both ends of the shoe spectrum.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Yeah no trail hiking for me. Just walking my dog on sidewalks and then like I said going to Helsinki Finland and walking around downtown there and Tallin, Estonia.

They feel really good so far.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new pair of shoes for a trip to Scotland this spring. We will be doing some trail hiking, but I wanted light weight, nice looking and waterproof. Bought a pair of GoreTex lined Danner 2650 GTX shoes. “GTX” signifies GoreTex lining, and I would think that would be good thing in Finland in the spring too.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Bought a pair of GoreTex lined Danner 2650 GTX shoes. “GTX” signifies GoreTex lining, and I would think that would be good thing in Finland in the spring too.

That has become Danner's most popular seller the last 3-years.

It's a great looking shoe. Sporty enough to get out there but, reserved enough to go out to a nice dinner in. I wish I could fit them, I default to Lowa's and LaSportiva's.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post