SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    * Update: BAN NOW INCLUDES HUNTING RIFLES & BUTT MASTER GAG gun * Canada imposes emergency handgun import ban ahead of gun control legislation (video)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

* Update: BAN NOW INCLUDES HUNTING RIFLES & BUTT MASTER GAG gun * Canada imposes emergency handgun import ban ahead of gun control legislation (video) Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
I'm curious to know if there are any Canadian handgun manufacturers still in business that might still be able to supply Canada's gunshops once their import stock dries up. Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple importers or mil-surp outfits, and I doubt they even exist any longer.

[Note: hyperlinks found at linked website article.]

================

Canada to ban handgun import until passage of gun control law

August 5, 202210:24 AM MDT
Last Updated 4 hours ago

By Ismail Shakil

OTTAWA, Aug 5 (Reuters) - Canada said on Friday it would temporarily ban the import of restricted handguns from Aug. 19 in a move designed to indirectly achieve goals of a gun control legislation proposed in May.

The import ban would stay in place until a national freeze on handguns comes into force, the Canadian government said in a statement.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's ruling Liberal government introduced bill C-21 in May to fight gun violence.

The gun control package, which includes a national freeze on the sale and purchase of handguns among other measures, is yet to be implemented. The Canadian parliament is currently on summer break until September.

Canadians rushed to buy guns after the freeze was announced and the government now wants to prevent gun sellers from restocking their inventory with this import ban, Foreign Minister Melanie Joly told reporters at a briefing. The foreign ministry has the authority to deny trade permits.

"The import ban announced today will help to keep guns stay off our streets as we work towards implementing Bill C-21, reducing gun violence in the immediate term," Joly said.

Canada has much stricter gun laws than the United States, but Canadians are allowed to own firearms providing they have a license. Restricted or prohibited firearms, like handguns, must also be registered. read more

"Given that nearly all our handguns are imported, this means that we're bringing our national handgun freeze into effect even sooner," said Canadian Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, speaking alongside Joly.

While Canada's gun homicide rate was a fraction of the rate in the United States in 2020, it is still higher than the rates of many other rich countries and has been rising, according to data from Statistics Canada. read more

Official data show that handguns were the main weapon used in the majority of firearm-related violent crimes between 2009 and 2020.

Reporting by Ismail Shakil in Ottawa; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Alistair Bell

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Well, isn't that a shrewd move. Ban imports and thus impose the ban before it becomes legal.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Prime Minister Castro uses every tool in his dad's playbook

I fear for Canada over the next 5 years

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parliamentary system vs our Constitutional based form of government with a 2nd Amendment right. Canadian's sportsman, firearm enthusiasts and collectors are getting smoked.

Trudeau's sister in New Zealand effectively did the same.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Well, isn't that a shrewd move. Ban imports and thus impose the ban before it becomes legal.

Prime Minister Trudeau's administration obviously noticed the spike in handgun sales as Canadians scramble to arm themselves ahead of the legislation.

He wasn't about to let Canadians get armed up so he went after their sources.

I gotta believe this unexpected ban is going to put a hurt on Canadian gun stores and shooting ranges, only further affecting their sales and ability to stay in business.

There are probably a few other globalist governments taking notes on Trudeau's playbook.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet 3D printers and CNC machine sales go through the roof.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I wonder when the Canadians are finally going to stand up and say "enough."

Or will they ever do it?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
More useless posturing by incompetent idiots. Of course legal imports are not and never have been the issue.
As for Canadian businesses, few will see any major impact. Handguns can't get ordered days in advance, they are ordered months and years in advance. Since parliament returns to seal the deal mid September, most businesses had cancelled orders arriving in Sept or later anyway. So we might see a couple more orders cancelled between 19 Aug and 1 Sept but they will be few and far between.
Unfortunately for me, I had some handguns I picked up at auction in Germany, and the German export process is so slow (it has been 5 months now), that now I am not going to be able to get the guns out. I had hoped to at least get them imported by my business and then export to the US for sale. It's hard to imagine that the Canadian government is so concerned about Colt SAA and Webley Fosbery revolvers.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1494 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's hard to imagine that the Canadian government is so concerned about Colt SAA and Webley Fosbery revolvers.

Sigh.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I wonder when the Canadians are finally going to stand up and say "enough."

Or will they ever do it?

They never do it. Objecting to something the Government implements is something that just isn't done. They wont say why they wont register an objection they just say "that isn't done in Canada".

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Update:

After promising hunters that only semi-auto rifles and handguns would be banned, and after the initial reading of the ban bill, several Canadian Leftist gun grabbers in their government snuck in hundreds of pages of additional amendments that will effectively ban hunting rifles as well as antique black powder firearms.

Last night I caught part of a 2A radio show where these new ban amendments were being discussed, and it was mentioned that some of the provinces will refuse to enforce these new bans, if they go into effect. Also, one of the commenters (Cam Edwards possibly) mentioned that several of the Indian tribes still very much celebrate the warrior culture, that the elders of the tribes are presented first, many carrying the hunting rifles they use to hunt and provide meat with, and he says there is no way these Indians will surrender their hunting rifles.

I don't even live there and I'm pissed off. Mad

The below video does a pretty good job of explaining the new ban amendments and how they were added to the original bill.

@ 11 minute video (there is a paid sponsor ad in the video, but once you hit it, just jump to the 3 minute mark to get past it.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YU93gKKDM_s

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
How significant to the Canada economy is the money spent by hunters from the US? I would expect that income source to dry up entirely.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don’t think for a second that Biden and company isn’t planning something similar for the US. The goal isn’t getting rid of “weapons of war” as they are referred, it’s about disarming America. The real question is does the 150 million man army in the US have the stomach for resistance?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Don’t think for a second that Biden and company isn’t planning something similar for the US.
OK, so they're going to take all your guns?

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Update:

After promising hunters that only semi-auto rifles and handguns would be banned, and after the initial reading of the ban bill, several Canadian Leftist gun grabbers in their government snuck in hundreds of pages of additional amendments that will effectively ban hunting rifles as well as antique black powder firearms.

Last night I caught part of a 2A radio show where these new ban amendments were being discussed, and it was mentioned that some of the provinces will refuse to enforce these new bans, if they go into effect. Also, one of the commenters (Cam Edwards possibly) mentioned that several of the Indian tribes still very much celebrate the warrior culture, that the elders of the tribes are presented first, many carrying the hunting rifles they use to hunt and provide meat with, and he says there is no way these Indians will surrender their hunting rifles.

I don't even live there and I'm pissed off. Mad

I'd bet the members of those Indian tribes are NOT the only group that share that position...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhracecraft,

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Don’t think for a second that Biden and company isn’t planning something similar for the US.

I don’t think they have the political pieces lined up YET but they are surely envious and would do it in a minute if they had the votes .

However look at various states that are voting for this crap. CA, OR etc. get a majority of states lined up and then work from there. That’s how evil they are.

Also goes to show the hunter and hunting groups who were silent and looked the other way during AR and other rifle bans and high cap mag bans etc got hosed. They had a mindset of oh well they will never come after my old hunting rifle… well here they are.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
I don’t think they have the political pieces lined up YET but they are surely envious and would do it in a minute if they had the votes .
Have what votes. To repeal the Second Amendment? Because that's what it would take for what you're saying to come to pass, and I want us to discuss these things calmly and rationally.

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:

Maybe not physically…yet, but given enough unrestrained power, they can use legislation if they are allowed to. The leftists have already proven they have zero respect for the constitution. They attack the first amendment openly. And they’re making opening moves on the second again.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If the heat gets turn up high enough, sudden enough, the frog might get the message soon enough and jump out of the pot soon enough.

Is this high enough, soon enough? Who knows, but it's about the only thing that works at times.

All the best to our Canadian friends. Frown

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
How significant to the Canada economy is the money spent by hunters from the US? I would expect that income source to dry up entirely.

flashguy

An excellent point, and one that was discussed on the 2A radio show I mentioned listening to last night.

US hunters do travel up there and spend significant money hunting in Canada, and one commenter suggested that he thought there would likely be some sort of compromise or exception made, because Canadian business owners and taxes collected would most definitely be impacted if the hunting rifle ban goes through in its current form.