SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Having trouble locating a type of hand file to buy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Having trouble locating a type of hand file to buy Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
I need a type of hand file:

1. At least one safe edge (smooth no teeth)
2. About 12 inches or so long
3. #2 Cut or Double cut (cross hatch cut)
4. Shape of file must have parallel sides.
5. Thicker is better, will help me keep it flat if I press too hard.

The job I'm doing is trying to flatten and square up the cast iron portion of some vice jaws (after removing the steel jaw pads). The metal I'm filing is cast iron, but my shitty files are doing more harm than good, let alone my shitty technique.

Do you guys know where I can find such an animal ? The hardware stores don't have safe edge parallel side files, they only have the same general purpose shitty files I already have. I THINK they are called safe-edge Engineers files, but Amazon doesn't even have them, not sure where to inquire.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Ebay has them. Brownells as well. Pferd or Grobet are 2 better brands. You might find Pferd at Lowes or Home Depot. Nicholson makes safe edge as well. A little less expensive and easier to find.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Try McMaster-Carr or MSC Supply.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
https://www.tsubosan.co.jp/english/index.html

Tsubosan should have what you are needing

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A welding supply. I've been wanting to get to one myself for just such a file.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post