SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    UPDATE on PAGE 5 (good news) Aw crap, just diagnosed with cancer
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATE on PAGE 5 (good news) Aw crap, just diagnosed with cancer Login/Join 
Picture of Censored
posted
I am in great shape for a mid-50 year old. Worked out several days a week, cycled, volleyball. In Oct of 2017 upon returning from Europe I began feeling dizzy and had mild epigastric pain. Went to the ER and got hospitalized with a DVT/PE resulting in an emboli storm. Survived 50+ emboli to the lungs (angiogram was really interesting) and was discharged in 3 days. Later I went to China and Taiwan for several weeks and upon return had a little difficulty swallowing. Reached out to GI doc friend and got set up for a scope in late Dec 2017. Scope revealed the ugliest looking 6 cm esophageal tumor you have ever seen.

Flash forward to today I just finished 6 cycles of chemo (one per week) and 28 doses of proton therapy at MD Anderson in Houston. I am now waiting a few weeks before having surgery to remove 2/3 of my esophagus and 1/2 of my stomach. The pathology on my removed innards will set my 5 year survival rate.

If you are suffering from reflux (I did not) or have trouble swallowing it would be in you best interest to be evaluated for esophageal dysplasia or cancer. I got lucky (if you can call it that) and was staged as a 3a, if I would have been a 3b then it would have been palliative care only.

It is also kind of a twist of fate that I work in the cancer research field. I have always sympathized with patients, but now I empathize with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Censored,

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Aw shit Frown . Here's to a complete recovery.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Prayers for a full recovery.
Stay in the fight!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wishing the best recovery possible. I know the feeling, I thought I was in great shape then last April I felt dizzy. Called my daughter and she was still in her office so she sent my sil and he took me to the VA ER. They got me right in and as Laid there my HR, pulse etc all went to zero....flat line. Got hit with the paddles and it started going again. Now a wear a pacemaker and take blood thinner. Finally starting to get stronger.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Damn it, prayers sent.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prayers for you.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
Censored, prayers are up for you.
My cancer scare (prostate) happened three years ago. This summer, I do my five year follow-up test.
Praying for you.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
crap - that sucks

I wish you a speedy recovery and positive pathology

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53191 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PRAYERS TO ST. PEREGRINE

Are you suffering from cancer? Or do you know someone who is? These prayers to St. Peregrine can give you hope! This first one is for those afflicted with this deadly disease:

St. Peregrine, whom Holy Mother Church has declared Patron of those suffering from Cancer, I confidently turn to you for help in my present sickness. I beg your kind intercession. Ask God to relieve me of this sickness, if it be his Holy Will. Plead with the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Mother of Sorrows, whom you loved so tenderly and in union with whom you have suffered the pains of Cancer, that she may help me with her powerful prayers and loving consolation.

But if it should be God’s Holy Will that I bear this sickness, obtain for me courage and strength to accept these trials from the loving hand of God with patience and resignation, because he knows what is best for the salvation of my soul. St. Peregrine, be my friend and patron. Help me to imitate you in accepting suffering, and to unite myself with Jesus Crucified and the Mother of Sorrows, as you did. I offer my pains to God with all the love of my heart, for his glory and the salvation of souls, especially my own. Amen.

The second of these prayers to St. Peregrine is for others’ intentions.

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favored with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you. (Pause here and silently recall the names of the sick for whom you are praying) Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.

St. Peregrine is known as the patron saint of cancer patients, AIDS victims and others suffering from serious illnesses. These two prayers give us an intriguing glimpse into his life’s story. Peregrine Laziosi was born in 1260 in Forli, Italy to a wealthy family. Although he was a member of an anti-papal party as a young man, he experienced a profound change of heart, much like St. Paul’s conversion in its intensity.

He and some companions showed up one day to heckle and otherwise abuse St. Philip Benizi, the Prior General of the Servants of Mary, who was preaching in Forli. Peregrine went so far as to strike him in the face! St. Philip, seemingly following our Lord’s advice in scripture (Matt 5:39, Luke 6:29), offered his other cheek in response.

This gesture so moved Peregrine that he quickly asked for Philip’s forgiveness and soon thereafter converted to Catholicism, spending much time in prayer at the Chapel of Our Lady at the Cathedral. Mary appeared to him there in a vision asking him to join the Servite Order in Siena. He was received there by St. Philip!

Peregrine spent the rest of his life ministering to the poor and the sick, mainly in his hometown of Forli where he established a new house for the Servites. His dedication to the faith was such that, according to tradition, he would stand constantly instead of sitting down, as a form of penance.

He underwent a severe trial when he developed a cancerous sore on his leg (as we see in depictions of him such as the one above) as well as his feet. Doctors decided upon amputation as treatment.

The night before the operation, Peregrine spent the night in prayer before a crucifix in a hospital chapel. He dreamt at one point there that Christ came down from the cross and healed his leg. When he woke up, he and his doctors, made the joyful discovery that he was completely cured. God had truly performed a miracle on this holy man!

Peregrine himself performed numerous miracles in his life. After his death in 1345, there were countless others, especially in Spain. The Church attributed to him more than 300 cures of cancer and other illnesses from 1694 to 1726 in one city there alone!

It’s no wonder that as we read in the opening of the second of our two prayers to St. Peregrine, many Catholics refer to him as the “mighty” and the “wonder-worker!” He was canonized by Pope Benedict XIII in 1726.

Although there are an increasing number of cancer survivors, there is still no cure for this disease. Prayer is always needed in the fight against cancer, along with research and education, such as that provided by the American Cancer Society.
We hope the prayers to St. Peregrine above can bring you comfort and strength from our Lord. He Himself, like St. Peregrine, as we are reminded in these prayers, was no stranger to suffering!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
My sincere prayers for strength to you, wisdom for your doctors, and comfort to your family.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12335 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My prayers are with you.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Censored, you are dealing with exactly what my dad fought. Including the stomach and esophagus loss.

Besides sending my best wishes and encouragement, I am going to either tell you something you haven't thought about or repeat something the docs have told you.

You are going to have to eat. A lot. By that, I mean frequently. My dad went from being a big guy eating three big meals a day to having to eat every few hours. It was a big change for him. Add to that the fact he was getting chemo at the same time and his appetite was crap. All politics aside, he was the poster child for medical MJ which wasn't available back then. Something to help the discomfort and keep the appetite strong. If you have problems, think about it.

I don't want to be a downer. You can do this. Just be thinking of things that will help you fight the fight. Stay strong brother. You are in my thoughts.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You're in my prayers, Censored.

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Cancer sucks. Prayers for a healing touch !

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Praying for you.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
God be with you in your time of need.

Posts: 5756 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Stay strong and hang in there, you can get through this.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Sending positive thoughts, and prayer your way.

Cancers a bitch, but it can be beaten, stay strong.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Censored, I don't know you and I don't think we've ever communicated here or anywhere. But I'm lifting you up in prayer because you're "one of us," and every prayer helps.

I wish you healing and God's peace that passes beyond all understanding. Bless you.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this..stay strong and positive. You have many pulling for you and a positive outcome.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post