SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water heater brand? - Updated in OP - please help between 2 options
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Water heater brand? - Updated in OP - please help between 2 options Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I have a BOM prepared for when I need to replace my Hydronic Boiler and the plan is to install an Indirect DHW (Domestic Hot Water) tank/heater to replace my current State Water Heater as part of that project. I plan to use the Webstone (NIBCO) H-74313W Tempering Valve.

$242.73 at SupplyHouse.com --> https://www.supplyhouse.com/We...-w-Temperature-Gauge

Probably a $350 - $425 adder from the Plumbing Supply House/quote from your plumber, and shouldn't have much impact on the installation/labor cost side of the quote.

Spec Sheet --> https://assets.unilogcorp.com/...930997_SpecSheet.pdf

Install Guide --> https://assets.unilogcorp.com/...997_InstallSheet.pdf


____________________________________________________________

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 47....Making America Great Again!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!
 
Posts: 11249 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I found nibco, watts/powers and Wilkins options. I’ll dive in more.

$3000 project + maybe $300 for longer warranty + maybe thermostatic mixer. Starting to be a real pretty penny. I wish I did this a year ago when I was still employed with wages.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15136 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
BW water heater is amazing. It’s keeping setpoint +- 3 degrees. And it runs silent. My old heater was varying -12 +3 degrees and you could hear the burners whoosh.

We’ll see how well it behaves and lasts. And still need to test concurrent use capabilities and recovery. But impressed so far. Better be given how much I spent.




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15136 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your new BW tank. I think you're going to love it.
Mine is quiet, powerful and reliable. It really cranks out the hot water!
No drama whatsoever. I really like that during a power outage I have all the hot water I want.
 
Posts: 1821 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just glad you're getting hot water and can clean yourself up now Big Grin
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lol, thanks! So far, so good.

I'm eager to test how much water we can flow before the temp starts to drop below, say, 110F or 100F. The older water heater would drop pretty soon, probably after about 25 gallons (I'm wildly guessing but well before 50 gallons are used). My wife would frequently complain that the bath water wasn't hot enough (we have a stupid sized tub that is much wider than desired and requires more water than we'd like - someday, the tub will be replaced). I wonder if we can now fill the tub with 'hot' water. Before, I'd fill the tub as much as possible until the water temp dropped below 105F. Then wait an hour to take a shower. Then top off the bath w/ fresh hot water to fill and bring temp to 104F. Then take a bath (soak). I wonder if we can do things differently now.

I appreciate all the help above. When things need fixing or replacing around here, it's significantly more challenging for me than for the rest of you. I haven't owned a home most of my life. So many things are first, new experiences for me. And I need to learn new things, figure out what to buy and where, figure out if I have the right tools, how to do things, etc. I couldn't do this without the help I get from the Forum.

Up next, I think will be the HVAC (also 25 years old). My propane Weber Summit is also at the end of life, will need to find a replacement for that as well. Fun times, this thing called retirement. Never ending stream of "fix me" chores. Smile




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15136 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Closure I think:

I mentioned before that to soak in the bath, I would fill the bath as much as possible until hot water ran out (less than 100F). Then wait for hot water to be replenished (about 45min), take a shower, fill and heat the bath to 104F, then soak in the bath. It would take about an hour from starting to fill the bath to starting to soak.

The new BW is amazing. Despite having the same specs between the old and new unit (50 gal, 40K BTU, 80-ish first hour, 40-ish 1st hour recovery). I could fill the tub and take 2 showers (before soaking and after soaking 30 minutes later; the second shower more of a quick rinse off) with no signs of diminished hot water. No signs that hot water was starting to run out.

Amazing. Same paper specs but very different experience. I wonder what is different - build up of sediment (even though no signs of when I drained the old tank the last time)?

So far, very happy with the new BW. Now, if it will only last 20 years....




"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
 
Posts: 15136 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Water heater brand? - Updated in OP - please help between 2 options

© SIGforum 2026