SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Memories of the Martial Arts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memories of the Martial Arts Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
As of late the Cane Defense thread, watching The Warrior, The Badlands, and others on TV brought many great memories of past training. Though it has been over 30yrs ago now, I still have great respect and amazing memories that I'll never forget. I started my training young as most. My Mom would still drive me as I didn't even yet have a license. The Tracy Franchise- Kempo/Kung Fu, Steven Beaty- Goju Ryu, Barry Silver- Tae Kwon Do, Eagle Claw Kung Fu, Harold Roth- Kongo Do. I had so many good instructors over the years, lots of hard work, laughs, and minor injuries..who didn't who practiced the Arts.

Though only reaching the rank of 2ond Dan Black Belt, I just ran out of time to meet the demands of school, working full time and training schedules. I was within a months reach or so of testing for my 3rd Dan but never pulled it off. I have such great respect for those that do and have reached the stage of Black Belts. My Instructor used to tell me, thats when I'll get to the "onions" as he called them, his training tips for the Black Belts only. I came to realize myself that this was the point in training that learning self defense was instinctual and the real Art began. The point that just naturally your body, mind, and spirit created your own personal style within a particular style itself.

A few times over many years in doing the standard forms (kata) your body would just naturally flow a certain way. A few rare times my instructor would stop me and ask to repeat the movement because it just seemed to work or flow better than the standard motion, and we would incorporate it into that form in our school.

I enjoyed all the various training with different Instructors and schools, always learning something that I could use and pass on. I have had my share of many humbling points of defeat too that comes when you've had your rear handed to you by a superior artist, which is often the case otherwise you're not training with the right people. I've had my share of knocks along the way Smile

Just some brief reflections lately of a time long past and my body these days wishing I could still do it. Whatever remains would be just instinct from many years of repetition. Often wondering "if" that time would ever come, I can only hope my body memory will take over..

Maybe you've trained, or are still training, what are some of your good memories? Any photo's?

Here's one such good memory with Shihan Dennis Palumbo of the Hakkoryu Jujutsu Federation at our school doing a week long training seminar. I'm the guy in the black Gi bottoms along the left wall. A lot of good friends in that snap..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
No photss, just memories from 30 years ago. Our instructor told us, if you ever have to fight, fight dirty.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I wonder if I could ever pull off a single or two finger spear to the eyes or open hand chop to the throat? Would it be a reflex from years of repetition? We were always taught, to just walk away, avoid but...

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
No old memories of starting young, just young memories of starting old.

I began to train in BJJ about 3.5 years ago and I enjoy it. I find it practical, because it works, and I enjoy the workout because it is like a physical chess match; engaging the mind as well as the body. I don't know how many more years I have to train, but I am trying to make the most of the time I have.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
This month I will turn 66. Although I haven't been on the mat in 10 years, I decided to renew my membership in the Judo Club I had been associated with. I'm a Nidan (2nd) in Judo and a Shodan in Jujitsu. I don't know what prompted me to go back but I find I can demonstrate the judo throws, my body prefers Jujitsu more the following day. I already suffer from knee and hip injuries so I will no longer be allowed to be thrown. I think what got me back is more the people I worked out with. Most of my friends today are people from the martial arts community.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My last, longest and final school where I achieved my rank we were also certified in judo from our federation as well as jujitsu from Dennis's federation. We incorporated a very well rounding of skills. When reaching Black Belt we would also begin training in Wing Chun for close-in fighting skills. In order to advance we would have to perform proficiently one form for each degree. I had Si Lim Tao and Chum Kiu forms pretty well established, absolutely loved Wing Chun, hours of hand grabs, hand trapping, strikes, and manipulation. Whereas like you rtquig, jujitsu was easier on the body much like Aikido of using your opponents energy against himself, it just flowed.

No flying backwards up to the rooftops, or flying thru the air arms spread like a bird, or the flying somersault's, just down to the earth tactics worked well for me. I did well though with spinning crescent and back kicks!

Regards, Will G.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My little one is a Cho Dan (1black belt) in American Tang Soo Do, he’s been at it for five years almost daily. He is really something to see in forms. He’s still little and lacks confidence when it comes to breaking boards. I hope that he keeps at it long enough to teach others.

Several of his teachers have said that making black belt is just the beginning.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
No photss, just memories from 30 years ago. Our instructor told us, if you ever have to fight, fight dirty.

Furthering on this, when I did teach, I taught to utilize whatever's in your environment, I don't care if it's a piece of pipe, pencil/pen or stick laying on the ground use it. Grab sand to the eye's if you find yourself on the ground, first and foremost, get away, avoid if possible.

I would always capitalize on their assets and work with their liabilities. I most always found myself achieving what at first was impossible with just some practice, always exceeding my own limitations. Kids were some of the easiest to teach in my experiences, very flexible and eager to learn, more forgiving. Adults on the other hand a little more difficult at times. An adult reacts much differently to getting hit than a kid. Lot more aggression in adults to getting struck from a blow. Such is the way of sparring required to become proficient, if you can't take a good hit, and they will come in the path, you may be better served looking into other areas of defense. Many fights have ended with the first blow. I've taken my share but it comes with the turf, often accidentally, but it may.

I'd love to be able to train again, even in Tai Chi if I could, but balance issues dominate these days.

My congrats and admiration for those that are still in it or raising a kid who enjoys it. Keep him/her in it, the rewards will always serve them well. And my respects to those who have achieved greater.

Regards, Will G.

Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Furthering on this, when I did teach, I taught to utilize whatever's in your environment, I don't care if it's a piece of pipe, pencil/pen or stick laying on the ground use it. Grab sand to the eye's if you find yourself on the ground, first and foremost, get away, avoid if possible.

I would always capitalize on their assets and work with their liabilities. I most always found myself achieving what at first was impossible with just some practice, always exceeding my own limitations. Kids were some of the easiest to teach in my experiences, very flexible and eager to learn, more forgiving. Adults on the other hand a little more difficult at times. An adult reacts much differently to getting hit than a kid. Lot more aggression in adults to getting struck from a blow. Such is the way of sparring required to become proficient, if you can't take a good hit, and they will come in the path, you may be better served looking into other areas of defense. Many fights have ended with the first blow. I've taken my share but it comes with the turf, often accidentally, but it may.

I'd love to be able to train again, even in Tai Chi if I could, but balance issues dominate these days.

My congrats and admiration for those that are still in it or raising a kid who enjoys it. Keep him/her in it, the rewards will always serve them well. And my respects to those who have achieved greater.

My Sensei told me never hit anything with your hand that you can shoot, and never shoot anything that you can run over with your car. Words to live by.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I first received my black belt in judo, I was taking lessons 3 times a week for 7 years. On my off nights I was going to a karate school for some extra knowledge. Rank was not given out in judo, you got promoted when the time was right. The kids class was difficult because the parents wanted us to promote, but we weren't in it for the money and we promoted when the student was ready.
When I was a "new" black belt I had the opportunity to go to California for a visit to my mother-in-laws. One of the women that worked for her had a husband that was a black belt in judo and worked out near San Diego at the San Shi Dojo. So I took my Gi with me to California and took the hour ride from Temecula to the Dojo. After warms ups, we were paired up to do mat work. I was about 40 at the time and was paired up with a Marine Lt. built like a brick. I thought, "what did I get myself into". At Hajimeru I rolled over and choked him out in less than 10 seconds. They paired us up again and now I'm thinking this marine is going to kick my ass. Same thing, same choke. He got up, said thank you sensei and left for the night. Wow, I am really a black belt. That night gave me the confidence to begin to learn how to do the sport without all the anxiety of learning under pressure. That night I was asked to come back on Saturday to teach class. That was a big honor for me. I got home that night without thinking of the time difference from CA to NJ and called my sensei. It was 0200 in NJ. His advice is I have taught you, do what you know and it will be a good class.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post

I've been training in tae kwon do for 30 years. Before that Kempo.

This photo was taken about 12 years ago. Can I still side kick that high? Uh, yeah...I can...uh huh. Roll Eyes

Maybe the best part for me was when I realized from experience that I could do things instinctively, with no thought at all. And, really, if you have to think you are in trouble.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5 years of Shotokan Karate. Lots and lots of Katas. I can still count to five in Japanese. Since I was doing it to improve my defensive skills as a cop, my instructors told me to concern myself less with advancing through the belt ranks and work until my threat response became reflex and instinctual.
The main benefit for me was a quickened response when things went hands on. The 5 years was time well spent.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m too damaged now to do any serious martial arts.

I did taekwondo in HS, then switched to hiep tinh mon.

I’ve thought about getting into the basics of jiu jitsu, but fear that the old body wouldn’t hack it.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Karate in parking lot.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I had only limited memories of taking a martial art that I was not built for (Taekwondo) and therefore giving it up. I am, however, providing martial arts memories for my kids.

Looks like there was a problem with the first upload. The second time worked like a charm. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parallel,

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
5th degree (Godan) blackbelt in Uechi-Ryu. Retired at age 60 a bunch of years ago. I had some great times and made some great friends but I always had more determination than physical prowess and the injuries caught up with me.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:

Excellent form Joe. Since all the moments captured on film in those days didn't survive the hurricane in 92' here, I had one similar only I was a brown belt at the time..wish I still had it. My Certifications barely made it but severely water damaged and faded out when the windows blew out and all the rain came blasting in.

Looking back on the first photo in my OP, in the row to the left the first Black Belt is Junior. Remembering an afternoon in class we paired up to spar. Sparring was a test requirement thru the belt ranks. At that time we used Safe-T-Chop gear instead of the gloves worn these days. The Saf-T-Chop hand gear also allowed you to fight open handed also if you wanted. We were both new Black Belts at the time and during the first minute I got a good pop squarely on her forehead when she lowered her guard, she shook it off and we continued, the next time I pulled her guard down with a left and popped her again in the forehead...this time her eyes opened like the size of silver dollars. I could see she was getting a bit annoyed and wanted to call it a break but my Instructor told us to continue. Ok..I caught her one more time and "pop!"..this time she lost it and charged like a bull throwing just about everything she had kicks, wild punches, windmills. I was trying to block everything backing up and laughing like a fool. One of those memorable moments for those in my school that watched, I'll not forget. Though it was friendly, and we used the gear, she lost it.

Now I've been on the recipient end of getting bopped around and you don't forget it. Kinda forced to remember it and learn from it and move on..

My Old Geezer Retirement memento. I wish I could go back..

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
5th degree (Godan) blackbelt in Uechi-Ryu. Retired at age 60 a bunch of years ago. I had some great times and made some great friends but I always had more determination than physical prowess and the injuries caught up with me.

Congrats on the 5th! I know how much hard work and training that must have taken. My 3rd was just around the corner within a couple of months and other priorities took precedence. But I still watch and wish but these days at 67yrs and some health deficits, I'd never be able to pull it off, but I admire those that can and/or do.

Regards, Will G.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Chinese Kenpo is what I started in and most of its principles, tactics, and techniques remain with me to this day. Trained in Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwan Do, Hapkido, Filipino Martial Arts, JKD, Aikido (hard style with Honolulu HI Cops), Kuk Sool Won, Krav Maga, and Muay Thai. A little bit in Wing Chun, Southern Praying Mantis, Tai Chi, Uechi Ryu (which I may go back to), and just starting BJJ a couple weeks ago. I have a brown belt in most of the above arts with black belts in Tang Soo Do, Tae Kwan Do, and Hapkido.

I actually enjoy doing forms/kata work. One of my first instructors said when doing kata, remember you are telling a story to yourself and anyone watching. The "story" should be exciting and delivered with power, precision, and grace.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a dabbler, trying out different systems when I was younger. Never stayed anywhere long enough to advance in rank. Some styles were more practical than others.

Every time I looked into getting back into it, I never had the right combination of time and money: If I had the money, I didn't have the time...if I had the time, I didn't have the money. *shrug* And now, getting older, it gets harder and harder having days without aches and pains.

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Hakkoryu Jujutsu

I studied this style back in the 90s. It was the one I studied the longest, though that's only measured in months. Sometimes the instructor would teach us 3 levels of a technique: Judo, Jujutsu, and "Street." My instructor was a pragmatist.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post