SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Memories of the Martial Arts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Memories of the Martial Arts Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sometimes the instructor would teach us 3 levels of a technique: Judo, Jujutsu, and "Street." My instructor was a pragmatist.

That is the way my Hapkido training went too. Below Brown Belt level techniques were pain compliance and hurt/break techniques (mostly fingers and wrists). Above Brown belt, a lot of the techniques became maim or kill.

How many of us got into Martial Arts from watching Bruce Lee (even his green Hornet days), Shaw Brother films on Black Belt Theater which usually played on Saturday afternoon, Chuck Norris, and finally Kung Fu with David Carradine.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Martial Arts is a great life. I have no regrets whatsoever going down that path, even to the exclusion of other things.

I think I was about 8 years old when I first saw Karate. Well, sort of...there was no demonstration that particular day my parents took me to the Japanese Deer Park in Southern California. But there were plenty of martial arts books in the gift store. I was hooked right then and there, and knew I wanted it to be a lifelong pursuit.

I too started out in the Tracy system of Kenpo Karate. I got up to purple belt, but eventually became interested in traditional Chinese Kung Fu. I trained several years with the nephew of one of the technical advisors of the old Kung Fu series, studying Praying Mantis, Tiger-Crane, and Northern Shaolin.

Then the Karate bug bit again, and I went to JKA Shotokan Karate. It was about this time I had to confront the fact that I was suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome from an auto accident. It took me 20 years to achieve first degree black belt. Fortunately I passed on the first try. In fact I was at the top of the class. But had to again quit altogether a few months later.

I've done much of my training on my own as I managed my health problems, learning the basics of Japanese swordsmanship (kenjutsu and iaido, which I still practice). Recently, I studied Filipino Kali (aka escrima) for about a year.

At the age of 60, the MA bug still bites. I am currently learning Aikido moves from videos and an iPhone app. You do what you can in this world.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started with a judo class in my first year in college -- what you learn in a semester of judo is how to fall, because you get thrown, A LOT. Went on to study Okinawan Shorin-ryu later in college, and a smattering of Japanese and Chinese Arts, from some outstanding teachers. Where ever I lived I sought out a School, and I was Green Belt a couple of times before I started training in Tae Kwon Do. Martial arts have been formative and rewarding in my life.

Anyway, I was a freshman in college 50 years ago, and I have trained continuously in TKD for the past 43 years. My Teacher always told me "Tae Kwon Do will keep you young!" He is a couple of years older than I am and his capabilities give proof to his statement. I have long since forgotten how to quit, and I continue to train and instruct. I have students who have become Masters, who still come to class. I guess I will continue as long as the students keep showing up.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 169 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, almost forgot the pic.... During my kung fu years.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Great group photo!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post