SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    two prices at the restaurant this morning
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

two prices at the restaurant this morning Login/Join 
posted
Had breakfast in Muscatine this morning. When I got the bill there was two price options. Either $11.00 or $11.44 if you wanted to pay by C.c..

I've never seen this option before .

the owner told me that almost everyone just put the credit card payment price in too the price of the meal, automatically.

So the 30% of the customers who pay cash are actually helping to pay for those who choose by credit card. Eek

I thanked him for the good breakfast and for the option to pay by cash .

Have you seen this in your area?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I thought that was not allowed by cc companies.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that in a restaurant before.

In my industry most companies won't accept credit cards, 2-3% adds up on a several thousand dollar invoice. It used to be against the terms of service with visa and mastercard to offer a "cash discount" or charge a "credit card fee". Perhaps that has changed? Perhaps this local restaurant just doesn't GAF.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No it is legal. Buds guns,for example has two prices for the same gun. Cash vs Credit Card.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Used to violate your merchants account agreement with your credit card vendor.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a couple have started doing it here lately. just a way to stave off rising costs. When food & labor costs go up 10%+, that 3% CC charge starts to hurt. You raise prices, people will bitch. Nobody is going to complain about sticking it to the CC companies.

CC companies are whores, they'll take every dime they can get. I doubt they can enforce a 'CC fee' ban in many places.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never saw that before I moved to FL seems every restaurant here has that on the bill. It rubs me the wrong way that it’s not disclosed on the menu up front but dropped on you at the end. I know to expect it now.

Posts: 4978 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't take credit card payments in my business and never will. I am well aware that I lose business from those folks who like to pay later and enjoy the convenience. The two or three percent charge is just part of the expense for the merchant. I get asked all the time and then explain my policy. Most people understand.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I haven't yet seen it at a restaurant, but lately gas stations have been giving two price quotes on their signs. I haven't see this in over 20 years before this.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many places I know now charge 2-3% for using a CC now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/mone...y-in-cash/ar-AAT0568

Small businesses are increasingly asking customers to foot the bill for the hefty fees charged by credit card companies. Following a class action lawsuit in 2013, Visa and MasterCard lifted a ban on credit card surcharges. Now, it’s legal for businesses in most states to charge credit card customers an extra fee to cover these costs, which typically range from 1.5% to 3.5% of the transaction amount.

https://www.bushellappellatela...ed-unconstitutional/

Florida’s Ban on Credit Card Surcharges Declared Unconstitutional
By: Dan Bushell|Published on: Aug 8, 2018

You may have gone to pay for a purchase and been told by the store owner that there was an extra charge to pay by credit card. And you’ve undoubtedly gone to a gas station with two sets of prices: lower prices for cash and higher prices for credit cards.

Is there any difference between the two practices? Under Florida law, there is. Under section 501.0117, Florida Statutes, the store owner actually committed a misdemeanor by imposing a “surcharge” for paying by credit card:

A seller or lessor in a sales or lease transaction may not impose a surcharge on the buyer or lessee for electing to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means, if the seller or lessor accepts payment by credit card. A surcharge is any additional amount imposed at the time of a sale or lease transaction by the seller or lessor that increases the charge to the buyer or lessee for the privilege of using a credit card to make payment.

On the other hand, section 501.0117 says it “does not apply to the offering of a discount for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check, or other means not involving the use of a credit card…” So it’s perfectly legal for gas stations to have lower cash prices.

In other words, under section 501.0117, businesses may offer a discount for using cash, but may not add an extra charge for using a payment card. Is there any real difference between charging less for not using a payment card (legal) and charging more for using a payment card (illegal)? Or is it merely a semantic difference?

Those are the questions at the heart of the 11th Circuit’s opinion in Dana’s Railroad Supply v. Attorney General, State of Florida, decided November 4, 2015. We’ll get back to the 11th Circuit’s answer, but first some background.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
No, but my favorite deli has long added 3% for CC.

Cash is my usual; exact change, naturally. Dem younger ones use debit cards for everything.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I don't like that. Payment cost are on the merchant. Having run a business that accepted CC, we just accepted it as cost of doing business and where happy to get the cash into our account immediately. What we would not accept was businesses that were open account (got the goods and services billed to them for 30 Day billing payment, then using a CC for payment) I get it that merchants are being squeezed, but trying to pass on all increased cost encountered is just not going to work. People (Me) will simply go somewhere else, even though some will consider that petty, you've got to draw the line.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
I few gas stations with a cash price or credit card price.

Posts: 1241 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
What restaurants around here are doing is "going cashless" - you have no option but to pay by credit card. Those places no longer get my buisness.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The crummy beanery where the old goats meet for breakfast started doing that. Then they started opening at 7am instead of 6. Then they started opening at 8am. Then I started eating elsewhere.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
One restaurant here does this. I will pay with cash since the bill is north of $70 for 4 of us, saves me $2-4.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
Some states have passed legislation that makes CC surcharge fees illegal.. But most all allow for a "cash discount" which is basically the same thing. Cool

From what I have read the following states do not allow CC surcharge fees: Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Maine and Massachusetts.

Posts: 14000 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see it in a restaurant, but I have seen it in several other industries, government, and I myself am now doing it.

A check is the far easiest for me to deal with. My bank charges me 3% to take your card, and 0% to deposit your check. I don't mind taking your card, but you'll have to cover my overhead for doing so.

I have had people wanting to run six figures on a card.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15864 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
A local gun shop has been doing this for a long time. Price listed is cash, cc is 3% more. Clearly stated and posted in a prominent location behind the counter. Never heard anyone complain about it. I believe it's a fair practice. If I buy anything, it's cash.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post