SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    two prices at the restaurant this morning
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

two prices at the restaurant this morning Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Does your firm accept CC?

Yes. And we append the fees as an extra, which drives me crazy. But I don't make that decision myself, and I am outvoted by others whose practice doesn't have individual clients who want to pay by credit card, but who are paid by business check. The fee drives my clients crazy. I even suggested just raising my rate a small amount to make up the difference. No dice.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
There are some rational arguments on both sides of this, but the fact of the matter is when merchants do this sort of thing they get talked about (vis a vis this thread) and having negative things said about your business is certainly not going to help business. Those that dislike the practice will go elsewhere, those that don't mind the policy will continue to patronize but probably not more, so the net effect is loss of business.

I forget the exact formula which of course varies with the type of business, but something to the effect that acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes. And we append the fees as an extra, which drives me crazy. But I don't make that decision myself, and I am outvoted by others whose practice doesn't have individual clients who want to pay by credit card, but who are paid by business check. The fee drives my clients crazy. I even suggested just raising my rate a small amount to make up the difference. No dice

^^^^^^^
Thanks for the response.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I go to a BBQ joint where you order at the counter and then sit down. If you pay by cc and add a tip to the cc slip, they give you the tip cash out of the register and ask you to leave it on the table. I haven't figured out why they do that. The total sale + tip is rung up and on the cc.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I go to a BBQ joint where you order at the counter and then sit down. If you pay by cc and add a tip to the cc slip, they give you the tip cash out of the register and ask you to leave it on the table. I haven't figured out why they do that. The total sale + tip is rung up and on the cc.
It does 2 things:
1. Makes giving the tip a personal act with the server
2. Keeps the management from having to total and divvy up the tips each day.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
It does 2 things:

flashguy

I think you're correct on that. Still, I have mixed feelings on tipping when you order, pick up your own food, sit down eat and clear your table. What are you tipping for? I usually do but not near as much as I would if I had a server do all of this for me. Maybe I'm a cheap-skate, old school, or just a grumpy old man.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I don't tip at all if I don't receive any table service (the scenario you described). If I get refills of my beverage or other service I'll leave a small tip at the table. Full tips only for full table service (ordering, delivery, clearing, refills, etc.).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
It does 2 things:

flashguy

I think you're correct on that. Still, I have mixed feelings on tipping when you order, pick up your own food, sit down eat and clear your table. What are you tipping for? I usually do but not near as much as I would if I had a server do all of this for me. Maybe I'm a cheap-skate, old school, or just a grumpy old man.
To clarify, the wait staff brings the food, checks on you, refills your drinks, asks if you want refills to go, etc. I think flashguy is right, saves mgmt from divyying up the tips. Some places pool all the tips and then divide. Last time I needed a new ketchup bottle - I have a few fries with my ketchup.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried to write a two or three paragraph letter to give to the other restaurants that we frequent.

But can't seem to put it together.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Case law NY started it.

Didn't follow the details.

By memory

SCOTUS struck down a NY law saying it was a first amendment freedom of speech issue of a business that could say something was a discount instead of a surcharge.

New York law that business could not Surcharge customers for using credit cards, so someone was offering a discount for cash instead.

Won at SCOTUS.

This was three or four years ago, the money troubles due to pandemic forced an increase of places doing it.

To my understanding this does not change the rules in other states that have different but similar laws that do the same thing.

Sorry don't have a link this is by memory

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liquor stores around here add cc fees to hard liquor, but not beer/ wine…

Was brought my bill at a newer local brew pub, , paid in cash, waitress brings back more change than I was owed… cash discount was explained to me.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post