SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    4-season sleeping bag
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4-season sleeping bag Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
Could anyone suggest a good 4-season sleeping bag under 4.5 pounds that compresses well? I’m looking for something that will last and not rip easily. Down is alright, but I prefer something that can get wet. Thank you!

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
might Look at Wiggy's.
Kifaru is very expensive.
Maybe Mountain Smith.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
A sleeping bag that’s good in the summer AND the winter? Not going to happen. You’ll need a summer weight bag and a winter weight bag. I have a slumber Jack bag for summer. It has a foot vent which helps a lot. For my winter bag, I have two, a Mountain Hardwear synthetic when weight isn’t an issue and a Western Mountaineering down bag when weight is an issue. It weighs under 2 pounds.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm mainly looking for something I can use in the late fall or winter camping.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Need more details. Is there a specific activity you'd be using it for? Backpacking, Hunting, Car camping, emergency bag for car? Mostly used for winter, summer, fall? Temperature range the bag would be primarily used in? Climate: dry, wet? Single or multi-night use?

quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
A sleeping bag that’s good in the summer AND the winter? Not going to happen. You’ll need a summer weight bag and a winter weight bag. I have a slumber Jack bag for summer. It has a foot vent which helps a lot. For my winter bag, I have two, a Mountain Hardwear synthetic when weight isn’t an issue and a Western Mountaineering down bag when weight is an issue. It weighs under 2 pounds.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stone Glacier, Wiggys, Western Mountaineering, Enlightened Equipment, lots of options. Take a look at sleeping quilts too, they are versatile.
Depending on the expected temps, two bags or two quilts might be needed.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Need more details. Is there a specific activity you'd be using it for? Backpacking, Hunting, Car camping, emergency bag for car? Mostly used for winter, summer, fall? Temperature range the bag would be primarily used in? Climate: dry, wet? Single or multi-night

Multi-night, hunting/emergencies, 10 to 20 degree bag, and dry climate. I'd still like something that can handle being wet.

posted Hide Post
I'm looking but can't find it.

There's a sleeping bag with a inner liner, and an outer heavy duty nylon shell. Basically, you can use the inner liner for warmer weather camping, the regular bag for colder nights, toss the inner liner inside the regular bag for really cold nights, then the shell fits around it for an extra layer of warmth and protection from wind/rain...

Something like this is, I think what you're looking for. But they ain't cheap!

Let me do some more searching.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a Kelty Cosmic 20 Synthetic https://www.kelty.com/cosmic-synthetic-20/. It's surved my purposes, and I've used it down into the mid-20s...got a little chilly but warm enough to sleep ok...or at least as well as I'm gonna sleep on the ground. I definitely don't think I'd want to go any colder than 20 degrees with it. I also bring thermals along to sleep in when I know it's getting cold.

I 6'5" 190, so I bought the "long" size, and it's quite roomy...almost too roomy as it has a tendency to let in cold air if you don't keep the head hole cinched tight. My wife has the regular, and it's pretty tight...not just shorter but narrower as well. If you're a bigger guy, you'll definitely want the "long."

It's compresses nicely and rides ok in my 44L pack. Weight is about 3.4lbs....not the lightest thing out there, but not bad for the money. The zipper doesn't go all the way to the feet...the foot pocket is very long. This is nice when it's cold as there are no air leaks by your feet, but it's kinda a pain when it's warm out because it makes it awkward to throw a leg out of the bag to cool off.

My brother has the 0 degree version of the same bag, and it takes up a bit more room in the pack, and weighs about a pound and a half more. He said it kept him pretty warm camping down into the high teens...I don't think he's tried any colder than that.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sleeping bags are 'rated' based upon their lowest possible temperature range they'll function at. This is assuming you're also using a full-length R4 rated sleeping pad. There's a variety of other factors in sleeping bag ratings but, that can be discussed later.

15-20F is the long-time, all-purpose sleeping bag standard for 3-season usage. Down insulation is going to offer you the best warmth/weight ratio and compressibility. Marmot's Helium, The North Face's Blue Kazoo & Inferno 15 and Western Mountaineering's Ultra Light..these are the most popular models in this category. There's many others out there but, those models have been the best sellers over the last 20-years.

Seeing that you're hunting, which mean freezing and near-freezing conditions, you may consider looking at bags in the 10F-0 degree range. Will you be at altitude, temps will drop much easier. You're going to see an increase in weight and size, however, once you start hitting single-digits at the low-point, the need for increased insulation is dramatic. Down is your best bet, however with increased insulation, means increased price-point. Synthetic insulation will still function when wet however, its downfall is compressibility; at the single-digit and below zero ranges, synthetics get really heavy and bulky.

What are you replacing?
Are you elk or, sheep hunting where equipment design and performance take on a greater significance compared to deer?
What sleeping pad are you using? Teh colder the temps, the greater the importance of having a properly matched pad.

Posts: 14650 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have little experience with aftermarket, high-tech bags, but a good bit of experience with the three-piece military-type bags. Something I have learned in my camping experiences, which are likely not as extensive as some other folks sounding-off in this thread, is, if you're debating between taking the warm weather bag and the colder-rated bag, taker the colder bag. If the conditions are iffy enough that you're having that debate, they are cold enough that you'd be better off with the heavier bag. Nowadays I welcome the extra bulk and weight of the heavier bag, because toting that sucker in and out is well worth the better night of sleep you'll get with it. I'll also reinforce what corsair said, in regards to a pad. The pad isn't just a comfort thing; it's an insulation thing. That foam or blown-up air layer between you and the ground can greatly increase the effectiveness of your bag. I haven't had one yet, but I have heard many first-hand rave reports about the accordion-folding pads with the reflective material on one side, for colder scenarios.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Western Mountaineering Super Pluma with some overfill. I have had it for 15 years with no issues in temps right around zero to -5. It was expensive. (I think I spent $500 on it)

Other great, niche manufacturers include Feathered Friends and Nemo. The traditional go-to's from Marmot are also decent value for the money.

I have also cheated with a Marmot Helium rated to 20 degrees (2lbs) and a Marmot Atom rated to 40 degrees (1lb) at zero temps.

The bags I use are all 800+ goose fill down. I have no issues with them working when wet and drying out. In fact, moisture issues for me usually come from inside the bag with sweat/condensation. If you want a full-synthetic winter bag it is going to be bulky and heavy.

If you are sleeping on the ground - your sleeping pad(s) will also play a role in keeping you warm. In the winter I use both a closed cell foam pad and an inflatable pad combined.

Good luck.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this is a topic like how often should i change the oil in my car. will get a variety of opinions.

much depends on several factors:

environmental : dry / wet, minimum likely temp. etc
cost: how much can you spend ?
use: 'car' camping or are you hiking it ? weight / bulk comes into play here ie packability
size: how big are you
individual: are you warm or cold-blooded. this varies person to person. some people 'freeze' in the 30s with a heavy bag others are toasty in...

for total utility / flexibility the military MSS is a good place to start if you can find them in surplus stores / on-line. not the absolute best -- but it is as the name implies a modular sleep system that gives you a lot of options. not overly expensive. the bivy cover is solid. i get a lot of functionality out of the lightweight (green) patrol bag. i have several and they can easily be nested together for more warmth. the pieces are bulkier than other more expensive pieces -- but I like that they aren't super pricey so I don't worry too much about damage / neglect.

IMO the green 'patrol' bag makes a great 'emergency' bag. you could easily survive in it in the 30s. it would not be comfortable. but a good emergency option for the truck for instance. inexpensive. pretty lightweight. pretty durable and can be complemented by other components from the system.

(disclaimer: i am from the southeast so i'm used to temps no lower than typically the 20s in winter time. maybe the teens... can't help you much if you're talking sub-0 Eek ). then you're in another ballpark ...

another point : if you're going to be sleeping fireside a lot -- mostly car / truck camping.... long-term a cloth bag might be better. they obviously are way bulkier but embers from the stoked fire can put a hole in a synthetic bag pretty quick...

another point regarding 'fit': the mummy style bags are obviously tapered into the foot bed. if you move around a lot in your sleep -- you may find this lack of room constraining. almost like your legs are bound close together. the rectangular bags -- although bulkier - are roomier in this regard. the other nice thing is -- a fully unzipped rectangular bag can do double duty 'blanket style' if you just want to wrap up in it

-----------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The layered military system bags that are out there, while flexible are pretty heavy and can be quite the burden depending on how you set it up. The materials used are a lot heavier than what you would normally find since they're made for Joe, who's abusive and hasn't invested any of his $$$ into such gear.

A more modern version to consider is The North Face's One Bag. Garnered a number of awards, it's a 3-in-1 type of set-up giving you a 5-20-40 degree range. Its using a mix of insulation so, you're not solely using one over the other. Its a compromise but, you get flexibility.

Posts: 14650 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Check out GearLab, they have some great reviews/comparisons on sleeping bags and go over some stuff you wouldn't normally think about:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/t/sleeping-bags

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the brands mentioned in this thread, are any made in America? This has got me wanting as lighter-weight bag, now that the cooler months have arrived in GA.

Edit: A brief google clears that up. Enlightened and Feathered Friends seem legit. Western Mountaineering and Wiggy's are probably worth a look too.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I decided to invest in a decent bag for my week long back country hikes in Yosemite. I bought a NF Cats Meow(?) and it works great. Then I discovered I like to roll side to side when I sleep. Hence the traditional mummy bag wasn’t gonna work. I went to REI and tried much larger bags (I’m 5’6”) and was happy a Big Agnes.

If you can, try an outfitter like REI, Scheels, etc. Theyll have all the sizes, fabrics, insulation, and hopefully expertise. Sometimes it pays to buy in person. Same for back packs.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Do you plan on hiking with this bag or just short distances from your car?

Anything that can get wet isn't going to be as light or compressible as down.

When you say a 10-20 degree bag do you want it rated to that or plan on sleeping at those temps. My experience is you want a bag rated at least 10-20 degree colder that the temps you camping in.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Wiggy's for sleeping bags. I don't use mine as much except for wet cold trips. I now mostly use an Enlightened Equipment quilt for most spring, fall, and winter (not the trips where is it is going to be cold with rain, ice, and snow).

Posts: 3932 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the replies. Many of you suggested going for something lower than I expect to need, which is wise advice. Corsair suggested 10F-O, and that sounds great. I used to be warm-blooded but am sleeping colder as I get older. It should have been mentioned earlier, but I'm looking for a mummy bag.

The bag will be used at a slightly higher altitude, and I’d like to fit it in a 50L pack. Weight is a concern, but I’d prefer it to be durable and not rip easily. Something in the 2-4 pound range because I'd like to be able to hike with it.

I’m not claustrophobic but have broad shoulders, so I prefer it not to be a narrow bag.

I’m willing to spend the money for a Western Mountaineering that some of you mentioned but hope to get something in the $200-$550 range.