SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you checked your spare tire's pressure recently?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you checked your spare tire's pressure recently? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Michelins, I bought a new 2019 Buick Envision for my wife that had Michelins on it. After 30k they were worn out, the guys at Discount said that particular one had been discontinued for those reasons it was supposed to been 50k. I had new Michelins with a sharp v tread on them and so far the are doing well.........

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
150,000 miles and I have yet, to lube the spare tire mechanism. They don’t use salt on the roads here. On the other hand, it took me 45 minutes to figure out how to lower the spare. Eventually, I consulted the manual and found there was a special anti-theft socket needed. Fortunately, that was in my glove box.

The Michelins that came with the truck lasted 22,500 miles. I’m ordering my 6th set of tires today. I’ve had 2 sets of Goodyear Wrangler ATs w/Kevlar, a set of Toyo HTs, and the current set of Cooper AT/3 XLTs that were supposedly designed for diesel pickups. The Toyos lasted the longest at 35,000 miles, but they were awful, squirmy handling tires and absolutely made towing my 5th wheel miserable.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's not a TPS monitor in the donut spare.

You can buy a TPMS BT sensor to mount to the stem of any tire, motorcycle, truck, spare tire.

They come in sets generally of 2 or 4, so you could put one one the spare in two cars, and monitor it with your phone, the apps have thresholds you can set to alert you of low pressure.

Link

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I do every 6 months, at same time as a calendar reminder to prompt me to recharge the portable jump starters in each car and check air pressure on all tires. Fall and six months later.

Even though my goofy kids are 30-ish, I do take the opportunity to remind them each time as well. Figure if they heed that half the time still better than nothing!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
I've thought about it but always dismiss it. one because I have to lower it out from under the SUV and two, mine has a built in compressor/inflator from the factory.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Have a donut spare for both vehicles. The Corolla is my airport car and the employee lot is 24 miles from the house. I honestly don't check that spare too often. The Venza, on the other hand, is my "road trip" vehicle when I go up to mother's. I check the tires, to include the spare, and under the hood before hitting the road on the 466+ mile round trip journey.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a flat just this week . Fortunately I pulled into a parking lot right across from my house. I called AAA (figured I have it, why not use it ?) and they took so long to get there that I changed it before The truck arrived. When the driver arrived I had noticed my spare only had 20 of the sixty pounds it should have. The driver said he didn’t have an air compressor on his truck!!!
I drove the car the 50 yards to my driveway and I filled up the tire . On a busy highway, a flat spare equals big problems. Check the pressure in your spare.

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
My F150 is the only one of our three cars that has a spare. Now I need to go check it tomorrow morning.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
If you run Michelin tires, you don't need no stinking spare. Wink

Exactly! And what spare tire?

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also like to suggest that if you have locking lug nuts on your wheels, make sure you know where the key is.

To prepare for state inspection, I looked for mine the other day. I could not find it. I checked with the wife and she had no idea - we always put them in the same place in the vehicle, but it was nowhere to be found.

Then I remembered we had new tires installed a couple of months ago. It looks like we never got the key back from the installer. If my wife had gotten a flat or a blow-out, she would have been stranded on the side of the road.

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would also like to suggest that if you have locking lug nuts on your wheels, make sure you know where the key is.
I made a practice long ago of physically returning the key with the invoice when the car was completed.

A few weeks ago I was fortunate to have checked my dinky donut spare, as I actually needed it, the first time since 2008. I have road service through my insurance, but since I was on a freeway, with a wide shoulder so I could be out of the traffic lane and a hard surface for the little scissor jack to rest on, I changed the tire myself in ~15 minutes.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I had an inspection station keep my key many years ago. I had the key code in my safe and ordered a new key for $25.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I check my spare tire a couple times a year.

Before my new set of tires, I had some Pirelli Cinturato P7 Run Flat Radial Tires on my WRX and hit something in the road and had a catastrophic blowout! I was just barely able to get the car safely off the road.

I put my spare tire on, and it looked a little flat. I changed them air pressure and it was 48psi. I was just down the road from a Service station and slowly drove the half mile to it and filled it to 60psi.

ARman

Posts: 3153 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about the Wrangler is the spare tire is outside. So when I fill up my tires, getting to the spare is super easy.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I refuse to use a locking lug nut. Nobody wants my factory rims.

I check spares whenever I check the others, quarterly at least, or prior to road trips, unless something looks low. I’ll check with the TPMS regularly for the 4 on the ground.

I keep an air compressor and a jump box in my car and my work car.

AAA takes forrrrever. Between the wife and I, we’ve probably had 4 flat tires in the last 2 years. Lots of construction in the area, equals lots of screws/nails finding themselves in the roadway!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
AAA may take forever but they are half the cost of a tow if you call yourself. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I actually permanently removed a 'spare' tire from a vehicle recently. Wink

The Audi S5 that my son drives originally came with 19" Wheels, and now sports 20" x 10.5" Wheels. I had deal with/replace the High Pressure Fuel Pumps two weeks ago and needed to charge the Battery, as well as remove the ECU as part of the troubleshooting process. The car also has an Air Lift Performance air suspension system and the tank & control module/valve is mounted in the trunk, while the air lines are routed in/through the spare tire well where the battery is also located. As a result, it's VERY tight in there and removing/stowing the spare is a bit of a pain.

Once everything re: the HPFPs was resolved ($1075 later), I was wondering whether the Compact spare was even worth the headache. I placed it next to one of the rear wheels and discovered it was 1" smaller in diameter, and then checked fit in the trunk, only to realize that even the compact spare wouldn't fit in the trunk due to the air tank, valve, etc in there. Even if the spare was in the car, there'd be no place to put the flat tire/wheel anyway as it's MUCH bigger, and there's NO way it's going in the back seat! As such, if he has a tire/wheel issue on the side of the road, somebody's coming (likely me) with a spare and a real jack anyway, or it's gonna get towed/flatbedded back home.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Spare? I have run flats Roll Eyes Mad. My lease is up later this year. My current car is no longer made, so I am forced to buy it [Not terrible since the residual is just under $20k and it's worth $35k, $1k more than the price I negotiated to base the lease off of]. I'll be getting non run flats, plus a spare and jack. The tires should improve handling since run flats are much heavier. Did I mention I HATE run flats? 3 cars I leased had them, replaced 21 tires in 96k miles total!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
15 years ago I had a BMW 328 that came with run flats and I always felt the car rode a little harsh. When I replaced them with conventional tires the improvement was dramatic! There wasn't a spare so I just tossed a couple cans of Fix-a-flat in the trunk and fortunately never needed to use them.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
For a while my wife and I were going on a cruise every six month. Checking the spare tire was part of checking the car before the trip to the port.
We still check the spare but not as much.
We do each have a mini compressor that works off the cigarette lighter in each car.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post