SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Big O Tires or Michelin?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big O Tires or Michelin? Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Picked up my Michelin CrossClimate2 at Costco last Sept during the $150 sale. Between them and my Outback AWD I never stopped moving. Good tires in snow, wet & dry. Now that I'm retired that 60K tread life will last a long time.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
^^^The tire needs for a Nissan Armada are much different than a WRX. Continentals won’t last anywhere near as long on a heavy beast like an Armada as Michelins, in my experience.

Yes, that is why I recommended using the Tire Rack reviews for the vehicle in question to find the most suitable option and not making it a choice between Michelin at Costco and the "Big-O" house brand.

There is a new Costco being built in my town so I will see more about them soon. In the past I went to a Costco about 30 miles away a few times with my gf at the time. My observation was that many name brand products in the electronics area were Costco-specific models that were not available anywhere else, or they were previous generation products being sold at a lower price than current generation at other stores, but that isn't necessarily a great deal.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGINT-228
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Michelin!

------------------------------------------------------------
“Come on you sons of bitches, do you want to live forever?” Sergeant Major Dan Daly (USMC)

Posts: 1097 | Registered: August 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got 80,000 on a set of Michelin LTX but ended up with two winters on 1/2 - 2/3 worn out tires. Not the best of circumstances where snow is an occasional possibility.

I like them but you spend a lot of time on worn down tread.

Posts: 797 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rock185:
I'd go with the Michelins. We used them for years, with never an issue. Manager of a local high volume tire shop, that handled several brands including Michelin, told me he couldn't remember a Michelin ever coming back with a factory defect...

ETA: Only Big-O experience I can report was a bait and switch type deal. Didn't try to deal with Big-O after that.

I got screwed at B zero too. I've never been back in over 15 years. They can eat my shorts.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I practice what I preach: Discount Tire and Michelins.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
We have a great local Big O and I do business there. Franchise store with a local owner I've known for 40 years. I get service work done there and buy cheap tires for cars I flip.

I like Michelins for my drivers and usually buy at Sam's. Both Sam's and Big O have good websites so it's ez to compare price.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michelin without a doubt. Whether for my Ford Expeditions or previous Mustang Cobra, they were without a doubt the best tire I ever put on them. Never had nails, drove perfect from day 1 until they were dead. Great traction, wet weather handling, etc.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post