SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Supreme Court Nomination Pool
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Supreme Court Nomination Pool Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P229 357SIG Man:
The Dems will see to it that the spot will not be filled by a conservative judge. With a 4/4 split...the lower court rulings will stand, rendering the Supreme Court neutered. How will they do it??? With the help of Collins, Murkowski and McCain....among others

The spot will be filled with a "conservative" judge. And by that I mean a Constitutionalist. Count on it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
1. Barrett
2. Willett

I have an idea that avoids ugly fights about ideology.

Select one who has two letter in his/her name the same. WiLLiam, WiLLett, BaRReTT, BlackweLL, etc.

There is something solid, dependable, responsible about people who have that in their name. Right, Stan?

The LL’s have it!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

The spot will be filled with a "conservative" judge. And by that I mean a Constitutionalist. Count on it.

This President is very adept at this. Others settled. He will stand his ground, get who he wants, and embarrass those who turn against him. The intrigue in the Senate will be epic, something like a cross between a great Shakespearean play and an ancient Roman drama. No worries, his life experience has prepared him well for this.

I believe we are witnessing an answer to all the prayers prayed to save the Republic.

Get the popcorn. This is going to be good.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
Next Monday can't come fast enough.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Dems will see to it that the spot will not be filled by a conservative judge. With a 4/4 split...the lower court rulings will stand, rendering the Supreme Court neutered. How will they do it??? With the help of Collins, Murkowski and McCain....among others
There are ten Democrat senators up for reelection in states Trump won. Several of them are vulnerable. They will not vote against his appointee if they want to keep their jobs.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The four candidates reportedly interviewed by the president so far, with reports that he might interview 2 or 3 others:

Amy Coney Barrett of the Seventh Circuit; Brett M. Kavanaugh of the District of Columbia Circuit; and Raymond M. Kethledge and Amul R. Thapar of the Sixth Circuit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/0...ourt-nomination.html

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
A Dem fight over Amy Barrett’s Catholicism may be just what Trump wants

He might be right. It is amusing, watching the leftist nutters going even more nuttery over the possibility she'll be the nominee Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
What’s the big deal about being Catholic?

Kennedy is a devout Catholic. 4 of the remaining 8 Justices are Catholic. 3 are Jewish. Gorsuch was raised Catholic but attends Episcopalian services. His British born wife is Church of England, of course.

Might they be suggesting that Barratt is REALLY Catholic, while the rest are pale Catholics, CINOs maybe?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Does the White House vet for physical health?

It would be a shame to get someone in there with a short life expectancy despite being relatively young.

I thought I read that Sotomayor was not in great health when she was nominated.

Type 1 diabetic.

Type 1 diabetes can be managed. My nephew is a type 1 diabetic and races Indy cars. Type 1 is where for whatever reason (virus, whatever) your body stops making insulin. This just means you have to manage your diet and insulin intake. It is very doable.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
There are ten Democrat senators up for reelection in states Trump won. Several of them are vulnerable. They will not vote against his appointee if they want to keep their jobs.

Yes, by nominating someone quickly, he puts those folks between a rock and a hard place. Say they vote against his nominee and get tossed out in November. That only makes it easier to confirm who he wants going forward.

I swear he is playing three dimensional chess while the dumbocrats are chewing on the box a checkers set came in.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Heaven forbid a member of the Supreme Court be a person of faith. Next thing you know, the Senate might have a chaplain. Oh, wait... Roll Eyes

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'll predict Willet, but only because I have met him and haven't met any of the others.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:

I swear he is playing three dimensional chess while the dumbocrats are chewing on the box a checkers set came in.

People who say the President is tired of this and will not run for a second term have no idea what they are talking about. He has to be having the time of his life doing all these things.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
People who say the President is tired of this and will not run for a second term have no idea what they are talking about. He has to be having the time of his life doing all these things.

Most of us here like shooting. Who here wouldn't have fun if given the opportunity to operate some heavy artillery?

Or the guy who goes to the rental yard to get a mini excavator. He has fun figuring it out, and then is offered the chance to run the big one at a quarry site.

Trump enjoyed doing these things within the empire he built. But his new machine is much bigger, and therefore much more fun to operate.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15863 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
What’s the big deal about being Catholic?
Might they be suggesting that Barratt is REALLY Catholic, while the rest are pale Catholics, CINOs maybe?

Choked on my Spiced Chai Tea. Please give warning next time.

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Trump enjoyed doing these things within the empire he built. But his new machine is much bigger, and therefore much more fun to operate.

Exactly. For example, one day he can pardon people. The next day he can visit with a foreign leader somewhere. The entire Country is trying to game his latest choice for the Supreme Court. He still gets to go to his homes and resorts. He gets to golf. Everywhere he goes, everything he says, every tweet makes the news.

Meanwhile, his assets are likely growing even though they are in trust. Someone he trusts is managing his businesses, and his brand is probably growing, too.

We could go on and on, but a1abdj is right. The new machine is more fun to operate than anything he's had before.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Not going to be Barrett. She's a plant to draw attention. Everything dems hate with 7 kids and a staunch Catholic. Let her draw the fire and then come another. Just a wag. That Kentucky guy looks good and I'm fine with Barrett.

I've heard some touts say that there are 6-7 vulnerable dems in red state senate races that will break ranks and then another trick is McConnell will cancel August recess until confirmation. That should take about an hour. Big Grin

Posts: 4828 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Not going to be Barrett. She's a plant to draw attention. Everything dems hate with 7 kids and a staunch Catholic. Let her draw the fire and then come another. Just a wag. That Kentucky guy looks good and I'm fine with Barrett.

I've heard some touts say that there are 6-7 vulnerable dems in red state senate races that will break ranks and then another trick is McConnell will cancel August recess until confirmation. That should take about an hour. Big Grin

Several of the shorter list are Catholic.

It all depends on 6 or so God Damned Commies and the two female GOP Senators. Feinstein and the
rest aren’t going to vote to confirm anybody. The GOP will go along, even Rand Paul. No worries.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

I thought McConnell had already announced the August recess was cancelled to debate immigration, or the budget.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an idea that avoids ugly fights about ideology.

Select one who has two letter in his/her name the same. WiLLiam, WiLLett, BaRReTT, BlackweLL, etc.

There is something solid, dependable, responsible about people who have that in their name. Right, Stan?

The LL’s have it

I believe this only holds true if the name has only two syllables. Big Grin

I know what you’re thinking...”Barrett, Willett, and Allen, Attorneys at Law”

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post