SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why they don't teach money in public schools
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why they don't teach money in public schools Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those were the best schools in the nation according to national test scores. To this day, the highest paid school employee is the football coach.

That's usually the case. Meanwhile, the Governor of Missouri makes $86,484 ...

Heck, you don't even need a winning record to make $6 million a year:

Eliah Drinkwitz gets salary increase, becomes highest-paid Mizzou coach ever

Missouri approved a two-year contract extension for football coach Eliah Drinkwitz, the school announced Saturday. Drinkwitz’s salary increases from $4 million to $6 million next year, with incremental raises each year through the 2027 season, according to The St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

His Tigers went 5-5 in conference-only play in 2020 and earned an invite to a Music City Bowl that was canceled. In 2021, Missouri went 6-7 with a last-second loss to Army in the Armed Forces Bowl under Drinkwitz.

https://theathletic.com/376544...drinkwitz-extension/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24130 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am 85 and attended schools (pre-college) in the 1940s and 1950s. I do not recall ever having a class on "money" or the handling of it. I did have an economics class in college. Whatever I learned about money was from my parents and close relatives, all of whom were pretty tight with it.

High school did have a Home Ec class, but it was only cooking, etc. and only girls took it.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, in small town BFE we had pretty good classes for home economics in Jr. High. Seems like they were split up somehow, with one based on cooking, cleaning, sewing etc., and the other getting into the weeds of checking/savings accounts and we even paper traded stocks for one exercise. This was back when you had to check the tickers symbols with a newspaper, so lacking other modern resources we didn't get too far into analysis, but made us aware of the market at least.

Have to say the teachers were engaging, and I got some good experience from it.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Seems like public schools have enough trouble teaching “The 3 R’s.”

Posts: 13275 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Our economics teacher in HS did teach the basics of how mortgage interests works, compounding, etc. Not sure if that was part of the curriculum or not, though.

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Had a class in HS that taught you how to write a check, hit on “savings” accounts, etc. It wasn’t some best in class curriculum or anything but it was taught. I paid very close to attention. But they didn’t teach anything about CC’s, FICO, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12643 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
They teach it in the high schools here and every student has to pass a citywide exam of competency or they can't graduate. It's not unusual to have kids have to go for tutoring to retake the exam.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The truth is it doesn’t take much math skill to handle money well.
Self control and some sense are all it really requires.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post