SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who makes best Heat Pumps
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes best Heat Pumps Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The system was 10 lbs low they were here at 830 pm Friday night. 1/2 Of the indoor coil was iced up. Don't know how long it has been leaking as I see no reason to have them "service" it yearly. I can keep clean the filters and outside unit.

Bryant FE4A and 265a with electric heat pack.

My experience is that you talk to a salesman who comes out to spec you system. Who they send for install is up to them. When this was installed it was a local HVAC company that has now been swallowed up by a larger one. I may have to change to a smaller HVAC shop for a new install.

The company has good yelp reviews for service but marginal for install. System is almost exactly 10 years old

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Maybe a better route would be what are good questions to ask an installer so you can know if they are good or not?
Most 'good' HVAC shops can have a salesman calculate the proper tonnage for the house, check the input and output pressures in the air handler to determine if they're in balance, and recommend needed changes to make a new system run more efficiently. They can also (obviously) recommend a couple different options at different price points. The one size fits most, and we only sell one system shops should be avoided.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m very happy with my Lennox central AC installed in 2018. Also had an old Trane replaced with a Rheem in a rental property back in 2011 that is still going strong.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
A quality installation is your best hedge against early failure. So what DOES a quality installation look like? A good salesman will go to the location of your ductwork and inspect it. They should be able to furnish you with the results of a heat lead calculation that will show you what the heating and cooling loads are, which will size the equipment. If changing equipment, I ALWAYS replace the disconnects and fuses, AND the refrigeration lines. Flushing old refrigerant and reusing a line set is a short-cut that will ALWAYS shorten the life of your new system.

They should perform a duct leakage test after start up (having sealed any leaks found at inspection) and do a proper start up which should include:

Air balance at each register to make sure each space has enough airflow

They should take a static pressure reading on BOTH SIDES of the air handler, and make sure they are in the recommended range quoted by the manufacturer. Make them do it, and make them show you.

Check voltage, breaker and fuse sizes

Do a refrigerant charge test to make sure the unit is not over or under charged

Make sure a high efficiency fan coil unit is pitched in the correct direction so that the secondary heat exchanger is not sitting in condensation and rotting.

A good company will do all of these things and should not give you excuses why they won’t.

All of this is more important than what equipment they use.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
The system was 10 lbs low they were here at 830 pm Friday night. 1/2 Of the indoor coil was iced up.

Bryant FE4A and 265a with electric heat pack.

Did they shut it down to de-ice the coil before adding refrigerant?

FE4A is only part of the model number for the indoor airhandler. Then there is another model number on the outside unit.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
A quality installation is your best hedge against early failure. So what DOES a quality installation look like? A good salesman will go to the location of your ductwork and inspect it. They should be able to furnish you with the results of a heat lead calculation that will show you what the heating and cooling loads are, which will size the equipment. If changing equipment, I ALWAYS replace the disconnects and fuses, AND the refrigeration lines. Flushing old refrigerant and reusing a line set is a short-cut that will ALWAYS shorten the life of your new system.

They should perform a duct leakage test after start up (having sealed any leaks found at inspection) and do a proper start up which should include:

Air balance at each register to make sure each space has enough airflow

They should take a static pressure reading on BOTH SIDES of the air handler, and make sure they are in the recommended range quoted by the manufacturer. Make them do it, and make them show you.

Check voltage, breaker and fuse sizes

Do a refrigerant charge test to make sure the unit is not over or under charged

Make sure a high efficiency fan coil unit is pitched in the correct direction so that the secondary heat exchanger is not sitting in condensation and rotting.

A good company will do all of these things and should not give you excuses why they won’t.

All of this is more important than what equipment they use.

I don't think the last company did any of that

They turned on the heat to defrost the inside. The original freon lines were reused.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful

FE4ANF002000ABAA
265ANHQ24000BBAA

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
FE4ANF002000ABAA
265ANHQ24000BBAA

The factory charge is 10.4 lbs.
In my opinion, anyone who would put 10 lbs in a system without doing a simple leak check is an absolute moron.

posted Hide Post
I think you guys jinxed me as my system just died. It was pretty old and poorly maintained by the previous owner. Anywho, looks like we are getting a Trane Tam9 and XL16i installed plus a large filter box 4-5. The company doing the install did my last place as well and they did a good job there so hopefully that covers all the bases.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My error - it was 8 lbs. Getting a new Carrier system in a couple weeks

posted Hide Post
Had a gentleman out this morning. The most thorough and inclusive examination of my system I’ve ever seen. He explained everything and the “why” at every step. Saw errors throughout. Ducts too small, leaking old style registers, incorrect wiring for load, advised he WOULD NOT reuse the old lines (mostly because a length were buried thus changing temps and liquid/gas states etc). We discussed what was important to me. Winter/summer temps, air quality He measured my house twice, measured every window

I did not get a quote today. He wanted to be able to sit down and fully examine everything beforehand to give a correct plan of action for my house

This is an American Standard system.

I have an appt with another company next week for a Trane (yes, know they the same company)

Had a Heil heat pump installed 6-7 years ago and have gone through 4 interior motherboards, 1 exterior. Replaced thermostat, ran new com line. Most covered under warranty certainly. But it’s nickel and dimeing me. It started acting up again the other night, same way when interior boards about to go out again. I’m at 2/3’s cost in repairs to original install already. I’m done tossing good money at bad. I’m totally replacing and asking the correct questions I’ve now learned since it was installed

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch out on the 10 yr parts warranty - if labor is not included. Parts are cheap to the servicer but labor is expensive. I tossed my 10yr compressor warranty on my LG refrigerator because the labor was almost $1k

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good timing on this discussion.

It just reached 93 in Iowa and our central air failed last night. There's ice on the lines inside the unit and some in the house where the line connects to the furnace. It's an Amana unit at least 20 years old, so replacement seems likely. I've called four local shops and hopefully will get some quotes soon.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wcb6092:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigdeal:
That 10 years is only to the original purchaser, and if after year one the compressor goes,

I am the second owner of a Trane that was installed two years ago. If you call Trane within a month of possession you can get the full 10 year warranty transferred.

Posts: 174 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Good timing on this discussion.

It just reached 93 in Iowa and our central air failed last night. There's ice on the lines inside the unit and some in the house where the line connects to the furnace. It's an Amana unit at least 20 years old, so replacement seems likely. I've called four local shops and hopefully will get some quotes soon.

The icing up is more than likely due to a refrigerant leak being that it’s 20 years old. You’re doing the right thing replacing the system.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3969 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
As a former Copeland scroll compressor engineer, I recommend any system having this critically important foundation. Four moving parts. Excellent liquid refrigerant handling, which is commonly required with heat pumps. I purchased a Daikin system with a superior warranty term having a Copeland scroll.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Excellent liquid refrigerant handling, which is commonly required with heat pumps.

Heat pumps have accumulators to store excess refrigerant, so please explain.