SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who makes best Heat Pumps
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes best Heat Pumps Login/Join 
posted
My Carrier system is 10 years old and has a leak somewhere. Yesterday's service added 10 pounds of Puron at 650 dollars. Will be another 250 to search for leak. May be getting near replacement time.

Thanks

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Trane

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Trying to decide if I want to spend the 300 dollars for a leak locate

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Lennox and Trane are both good candidates

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks.
Trying to decide if I want to spend the 300 dollars for a leak locate

^^^^^^^^^^^
The leak may not be able to be fixed. The repair is not cheap, and more leaks are sure to follow. Get a new Unit.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
No one makes the 'best' according to an old HiVAC guy I deal with. They are all cheap versions of what they once were. Personally, when I replaced our old Bryant system with a brand new Goodman system, I was looking to spend as little as possible and get the longest warranty available. Goodman met that requirement and its been good to go for the past two years.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
No one makes the 'best' according to an old HiVAC guy I deal with. They are all cheap versions of what they once were. Personally, when I replaced our old Bryant system with a brand new Goodman system, I was looking to spend as little as possible and get the longest warranty available. Goodman met that requirement and its been good to go for the past two years.

Amana is made by Goodman but is a little more expensive. However they have a 10 year parts warranty and a lifetime compressor warranty. If the compressor were to fail they replace the entire outside unit. I went with Amana for this reason.

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trane

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Our resident HVAC expert will tell you that brand is less important than a quality technician who knows WTF he’s doing .

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My Amanda unit was installed in 2004. Copeland scroll compressor.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

Amana is made by Goodman but is a little more expensive. However they have a 10 year parts warranty and a lifetime compressor warranty. If the compressor were to fail they replace the entire outside unit. I went with Amana for this reason.
Read your warranty closely. That 10 years is only to the original purchaser, and if after year one the compressor goes, Amana/Goodman supply the parts, but you eat the installation costs. I have the same warranty on my Goodman 5 ton heat pump.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Our resident HVAC expert will tell you that brand is less important than a quality technician who knows WTF he’s doing .
Which is very true. A bad install can screw up the best, most expensive, system performance.

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
We had Trane unit installed back in 2008. It needed a few things last year. Earlier this year it wouldn't start up. I had it looked at by the company that has been servicing it twice a year since 2010. Once all the troubles were tracked down they figured it was at least $1000 to fix but after a day of searching some parts weren't available. I also had them and another company pricing me out a new package unit and all new duct work. (Ours was really getting bad)
Here in SC it was almost impossible to find a new unit.(all in one). Finally found a York with 10 year warranty.
The installation of all new duct work and AC took 3 full days. Now with the summer heat coming on we are glad we did it.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Trane unit went under water for a couple of days .Completely submerged . The A/C guy replaced the capacitor and contactor in the outside unit . He tried to talk me into replacing the whole unit . He said corrosion was going to start , blah , blah . I told him when that happened he would be the first to know . That was 2016 . Still chugging along very nicely . Big Grin

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't really have control over quality of install but I agree with the concept.

posted Hide Post
quote:
No one makes the 'best' according to an old HiVAC guy I deal with. They are all cheap versions of what they once were.

I believe this to be true

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
quote:

Read your warranty closely. That 10 years is only to the original purchaser, and if after year one the compressor goes, Amana/Goodman supply the parts, but you eat the installation costs. I have the same warranty on my Goodman 5 ton heat pump.

I thoroughly read the warranty and can email you a copy. Lifetime warranty on the compressor. If it goes out the entire outside unit is replaced. Labor 1 year. Original purchaser only.10 years on other parts. I hope they stay in business until I die or sell Big Grin

Posts: 12684 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Trane for a heat pump. American Standard is good quality and made by Trane.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They added 10 lbs of refrigerant and they don't know where in the hell its going! Eek
Have a make, model and serial?

quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
Don't really have control over quality of install but I agree with the concept.

Why wouldn't you, are you not the one purchasing the new unit to be installed?
And hiring the guy to install said equipment?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a better route would be what are good questions to ask an installer so you can know if they are good or not?

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post