SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife’s heart valve repair/replacement
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife’s heart valve repair/replacement Login/Join 
posted
She goes into Austin Heart tomorrow at 5:30AM. They will do an echogram (TEE) first in order to help ascertain whether repair or replacement is in order. Then surgery. Big time chest invasion.

She has good outlook and a great understanding of process. She was once a cardiac cath RN starting in the 80s in Houston. Same hospital where Debakey practiced. Saw some great advancements in technology.

Sort of ironic. Also, no heart disease, just a murmer. Then in her 60s, developed afib and flutter. Meds, ablations and eventually after retirement, a pacer.

Now mitral valve failure is serious enough to warrent action. She seems ok although I know there is anxiety. Scares hell outta me.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for her.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Will definitely keep you both in our prayers.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3852 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Prayer sent for you both and her caregivers.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Told wife. She appreciates the prayers. Says one can never have too many prayers, good wishes, hugs or too much chocolate!

Thanks all.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'd offer hugs but no doubt prayers and best wishes are far more appropriate! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your wife.

My flight instructor was dr debakey’s pilot.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Best wishes. Massive invasion but not nearly as much as they used to.

I had an aunt have valve replacement and her chest wasn't split apart as I understand. A couple of days and they kicked her out of the hospital. This was in USCF.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Maxdog, twenty years ago I had open heart surgery to repair my mitral valve. Two months later I was back in tae kwon do classes, as I have been for the past 20 years. (I went to class tonight, just back.)

I know how scary open heart surgery is. I've been there. But it is even much better now in the 20 years that have passed since I went through it.

She will be fine. Try to stay rested and strong for her sake. She obviously has a very loving husband, and that is a huge plus.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
My email is in my profile. If you wish, email me. I have good friends in Houston at Methodist in the CV world.

Best of luck to both of you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Sending strength to both of you. And prayers for her and her recovery.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You’re both in my prayers.

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to your wife. I will be in the same boat at some point in my life. I have a bad valve in my heart and have been told it is just a matter of time before a repair/replacement is necessary. I will be praying for ya’ll.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Stay strong. Hoping for the best.

Posts: 12181 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iam2340pro1
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your wife & you.I had open heart surgery to replace my aortic valve with tissue valve in Oct 2007 then had to be opened up again in Oct 2011 to replace that with a mechanical valve,God has Blessed & brought me through every bit of it.

If we meet and you forget me you have lost nothing but if you meet Jesus Christ and forget Him you have lost everything.

Posts: 758 | Location: Central Alabama | Registered: March 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Best to her.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all. Re invasiveness, was advised if repair possible, rather than replacement, they can go in through the left side under and down from the armpit thereby avoiding the need to split the sternum. Les invasive and faster recovery.

Medical science in amazing.

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Prayers offered for a successful procedure and a quick recovery!

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Maxdog, prayers for your wife for the best possible results and quick healing...also for you and family during this stressful time.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cardiologists can perform amazing surgeries these days. Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery. Please send updates.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post