Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3640006374

June 29, 2022, 07:52 AM
parabellum
Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
That is a great looking knife. Can it be purchased just like that, same grips, color...?
https://knifeworks.com/esee-5-...-black-kydex-sheath/
June 29, 2022, 06:25 PM
Voshterkoff
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Dumb question: what's the paracord at the bottom of the sheath? How does one use it? It's too small of a loop to wrap around the thigh....

I thought it was for tying through the rivet holes to make a belt loop, or to PALS webbing.
June 29, 2022, 06:45 PM
HRK
I would think you'd put it on your wrist so you don't lose the knife when in use, be it peeling an apple or against a threat, you know slippery hands, wet work...
June 29, 2022, 07:52 PM
Ackks
That ESEE-5 seems like a good deal. That's about what I paid a few years ago, and prices seem to have jumped on knives recently.
June 30, 2022, 02:17 PM
CPD SIG
https://fallkniven.se/en/knife/g1z-garm-fighter/

I'm just going to leave this here

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
July 02, 2022, 11:22 AM
ruger357
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
That is a great looking knife. Can it be purchased just like that, same grips, color...?
https://knifeworks.com/esee-5-...-black-kydex-sheath/

Thanks. The description matches yours but the picture looks like different grips. I guess it’s just the wrong picture??

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
July 02, 2022, 11:42 AM
parabellum
No, that's the same knife. The color rendition of my photo is off a bit, but not by much. It may be that some examples of this model have blonde grips, but I think what you're likely to get is one that looks like mine.
July 02, 2022, 11:52 AM
ruger357
Thanks again. Ordering now.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
September 24, 2022, 08:37 AM
rat2306
Almost 90 days to Christmas, so I went to Knife Center's website. The long desired Cold Steel SRK in CPM-3V was in stock; ordered one! It was about $6 less than my earlier San Mai blade SRK purchase.
September 24, 2022, 01:47 PM
parabellum
I remember when Cold Steel introduced the SRK in the 1980s. It's surprising, with all the knives I've owned, that I never gotten around to one of those. I'd like to see this 3V version put through its paces.

ruger357, did you get your ESEE-5?
September 24, 2022, 02:26 PM
old rugged cross
The one knife that I really like that fits in this thread is one of the Swamp Rat knives. Don't know which one as I think I bought it here many years ago. Is the perfect size. Seems really well built. I really do not know much about them. But have always felt it was a really good fixed blade knife.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 24, 2022, 02:49 PM
rat2306
quote:
I remember when Cold Steel introduced the SRK in the 1980s. It's surprising, with all the knives I've owned, that I never gotten around to one of those. I'd like to see this 3V version put through its paces.

I found this on YouTube; mine will not be Italian made as this reviewer has. Description on the site when ordering said made in Taiwan. Should help, Para.

https://youtu.be/kmWJi8zNqx4
September 26, 2022, 11:56 PM
ruger357
quote:

Just saw this. As you probably saw in the other thread, I did get my esee5 and I’ll get a picture up hopefully tomorrow. Love it.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
December 20, 2022, 09:41 PM
lsjfwao
I know I’m late to the party but reading through this thread got me thinking. I have a buck 119 that I’d like to concealed carry. The standard sheath doesn’t lend itself to that very well. Any ideas or leads on a lower profile sheath for iwb, owb, or scout carry? General thoughts on edc of a knife that size are appreciated as well. Cheers.
December 20, 2022, 10:41 PM
Appliance Brad
quote:
Originally posted by lsjfwao:
Any ideas or leads on a lower profile sheath for iwb, owb, or scout carry?

Reach out to Tom at Dark Star Gear or Matt at Zulu Bravo. Both have extended experience in sheaths for carry knives and their attachment systems are are fight tested

December 20, 2022, 11:26 PM
lsjfwao
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
quote:
Originally posted by lsjfwao:
Any ideas or leads on a lower profile sheath for iwb, owb, or scout carry?

Reach out to Tom at Dark Star Gear or Matt at Zulu Bravo. Both have extended experience in sheaths for carry knives and their attachment systems are are fight tested

Thanks for the leads!
January 10, 2023, 12:26 PM
ElToro
I have a couple of the older US made Cold Steel SRK in what they call Carbon V which apparently is just 1095. Takes some work but will get a good sharp edge.