SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
In a time when I'm actually considering devising a method to ankle-carry a Glock 31 round magazine, it occurred to me the value of a fixed blade knife as a last resort.

In terms of blades available to consumers, it's much like the handgun market- never has there been a time with more choices. A huge number of choices has the effect of stymying me. You can't possibly consider all available choices. There are just too many.

I don't want anything expensive. Quite the opposite. My requirements for this knife are that it has to be a sticker with a strong point; sufficient blade length; a handle which affords a secure grip in overhand, underhand and dagger positions; a practical sheath; and something which is unlikely to break easily.

In my early days of knife collecting, I bought quite a few Cold Steel knives, the main reason being the presence of Cold Steel advertising in gun publications. In pre-internet days, that's how we old guys got our gun news. I haven't bought a new Cold Steel knife since the late 1990s. I, like all other serious collectors who have matured, considered Cold Steel knives to be not all that great. Budget knives for kids and the fantasy crowd.

However, I think Cold Steel might just fit the bill for my needs. Specifically, the Kobun, which has been in the CS lineup for a very long time. 5.5" blade

Cold Steel promotional material can sometimes be unintentionally comical, and the following video harkens back to an old post of mine in this forum- now long gone- entitled "What manner of meat-filled boots are these?"

Let's check it out:

This knife is available on Amazon for about 44 bucks. Suggestions of other knves in this price range, which fit my requirements, are most welcome.

BTW, why not folders? Why not automatics? Well, because of speed of deployment, blade length and overall knife strength. Additionally, while Microtech makes some nifty automatics which are surprisingly strong and can be deployed like lightning, they are far from cheap. I want something which I do not care about more than its utility as a tool to accomplish a task.

Posts: 107241 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
What I want is a boot type of knife that is ceramic. Too many metal detectors in my life right now.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been known to carry Cold Steel Push Daggers and have been satisfied with them. I also carry a short KaBar in a custom sheath.
Other options: Esee or Shadow Tech.
If you can find or already have training in its use, a Karambit is a good EDC knife.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16001 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
What I want is a boot type of knife that is ceramic. Too many metal detectors in my life right now.
Such knives have no lateral strength and are expensive.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have Benchmade that is perfect for the job

I avoid places met metal detectors - if it has one, there's a really good reason why I don't have to be there

Posts: 53080 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Kobun is nice and flat with a flat sheath, perfect for ankle carrry if the belt clip is removed. The sheath has lashing points for straps.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
...Benchmade...
Their politics leave them out of the question for me.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I keep a Buck 119 in my truck, good knife 6 inch blade . Looks like about 65.00.

https://www.buckknives.com/pro...ial-knife/0119FAM01/

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of that style of blade design. Since you are not evidently wanting to use the Fallkniven you already own. I would also check out Sog and Kabar

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19106 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about an old school Gerber Mark 1?

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I don't own any Cold Steel knives and pretty much have the same opinion as you. However, for the intended purpose that knife seems to fit the bill nicely. I like the flattish handle.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I have had a Gerber MK 2 for many years that should meet your need. (I recommend the earlier model without the serrations the latest version present, but if you are ok with those it will do).
Also the Ka-Bar EK44 is another consideration.
Both are low key and not flashy. Can't help with the metal detectors-

When I lived in NY and was a Den Leader and Scoutmaster it was highly depressing that you were not allowed to wear any type of sheath/fixed blade. Violated every single rule of "Be Prepared".

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Following with interest. The closest I've come is the Hogue EF-X02 with a Tanto point; the damned thing is twice your budget when it's on a good sale and the sheath flat-out sucks.

FWIW, you may find Russian options you like that are within your price range at Legion USA. Some of those designs look like comic book specials, but a couple look pretty solid.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
$38.95 at Knife Center. However, it is shown as "pre-order" and "Delayed by the Manufacturerer."

Posts: 6393 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
ESEE knives might be worth a look. When carrying, sheaths will be of prime importance. ESEE knives are extremely common and there are all kinds if various sheaths available for them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've found for boot carry of a sizable blade, the thin handle works best. I love my Ka Bar and Fairbains Sykes dagger, but both are best carried thigh or better for me.

I have a fixed-blade tanto tip blank that had a cord wrap. It was about a 4 inch blade, 9 inch overall, very similar to the Mantis MF-1.
The cord wrap made a huge difference in feel, and I never felt that it was lacking.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have several ESEE knives. Great bushcrafting tools but none of them fit the bill for this particular need.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I am fan of the Sog Seal Pup for a more traditional blade shape. Nice kydex sheath as well.

https://www.knifecenter.com/it...handles-kydex-sheath

A quick video profiling the entire Sog line of combat knives.

https://youtu.be/73aDbOuIz80

Oops, looks like these are now made in China....my 20 year-old full size was made in Seki-Japan.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Beat me to it Para, I was going to suggest the CS recon tanto or the SRK(?).

Inexpensive and strong

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Bark River makes a quality knife, but might be more than you want to spend for your application.

This is my Bark River 'Necker' model. It retails for around $165.

They are available in several different lengths and styles.

Posts: 1779 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
SOG Pentagon may fit your need.

SOG Pentagon

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post