SIGforum
Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3640006374

November 19, 2021, 12:22 PM
JCT76
Contemplating the value of carrying a fixed blade knfe in these troubled times
Hello all, we hope everyone is doing well! I just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for the support that this forum has shown us, you guys are great! Sorry that it has taken me so long to drop in, but I have been crazy busy lately with the business. I wanted to let you all know that we are still running our free shipping discount code: JCTSHIP4FREE until the first of the year. We also have some big announcements and plans for next year, so stay tuned! Again, thank everyone for your trust and support!

Dave,
Justin Case Tactical

https://justincasetactical.com/

https://www.instagram.com/tv/C...utm_medium=copy_link
March 05, 2022, 11:33 AM
UTsig
I just got this one in, it's a Kwaiken from Black Rock Forge. This is a really well thought out design, even the sheath. The biggest issue might be handle thickness but since it's a custom you could request different. This is very affordable, comparable to many production offerings. Mine is AEB L Stainless, micarta with G10 liner, Kydex sheath.

The sheath is set up for right side, inside wasteband, clip is reversable, though. It's 8 5/8" OAL, blade 4 1/4".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
March 05, 2022, 02:13 PM
Graniteguy
Just picked up the new RMJ UCAP. Very impressed thus far.
March 05, 2022, 10:20 PM
scratchy
I've been carrying a short kabar for years. Useful knife, and no so expensive that you cry if you break it.

March 11, 2022, 02:52 PM
Browndrake
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Just picked up the new RMJ UCAP. Very impressed thus far.

That is good to hear. I have one coming. I've had my eye on that model for a bit. It would seem like an excellent choice for the purposes discussed in this thread.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

March 16, 2022, 01:49 PM
Z06

March 17, 2022, 10:54 AM
old rugged cross
it would be helpful if you guys would put the cost of these knifes that most of us have never heard of. Some nice looking blades too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
March 17, 2022, 11:11 AM
UTsig
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
it would be helpful if you guys would put the cost of these knifes that most of us have never heard of. Some nice looking blades too.

I hesitate to put the price in on customs. The makers tend to fluctuate with steels, materials etc. The Flat Rock that I posted is on Joe's site, $175.00-$195.00.

https://flatrockforge.com/?post_type=product

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.
March 17, 2022, 11:37 AM
rainman64
I got a Justin Case Tenasi.

Thanks for this thread, times are not better.

March 17, 2022, 01:22 PM
Ryanp225
I'm really loving my ESEE with the S35V blade for edc. It's remained razor sharp since the day I bought it and is the Glock 19 of my fixed blade knives as far as carry goes.

March 31, 2022, 11:26 PM
Legal Beagle
ᎣᏏᏲ (Hello!) JCT76, thought you would be interested to know the syllabary for Tenasi is ᏖᎾᏏ. Keep ᏣᎳᎩ alive! https://learn.cherokee.org

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.
April 01, 2022, 09:50 AM
lastmanstanding
I see JICT has a nice little flipper coming out. The Janey-J. Patiently waiting for it to be released. If you go to their web site and scroll down there's a couple pics.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton
April 01, 2022, 01:42 PM
trapper189
A year and a half, 19 pages, and I just realized it says "knfe” in the thread title. I still have the $40 Buck Reaper in my truck. It’s come in handy and it has yet to need sharpening.
May 22, 2022, 03:23 PM
JCT76
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
I see JICT has a nice little flipper coming out. The Janey-J. Patiently waiting for it to be released. If you go to their web site and scroll down there's a couple pics.

Pleased to announce that the Justin Case Tactical FAFO-1 “JANEY-J” flipper will drop on our website tonight (Sunday May, 22nd) at 6pm EST.
justincasetactical.com

Thanks for all the support!

-Dave
Justin Case Tactical
May 23, 2022, 12:04 PM
konata88
I still haven't decided upon a knife. Looking for one to carry out in the woods - additional layer of protection. Open carry on the leg, probably.

ESEE 4 or 5 and Spyderco Jumpmaster2 have my eye. But the latter is trending no - the knife seems nice in every way except they are available only in serrated. I'm not sure how well indicated that is here.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
May 23, 2022, 01:31 PM
MikeGLI
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I still haven't decided upon a knife. Looking for one to carry out in the woods - additional layer of protection. Open carry on the leg, probably.

ESEE 4 or 5 and Spyderco Jumpmaster2 have my eye. But the latter is trending no - the knife seems nice in every way except they are available only in serrated. I'm not sure how well indicated that is here.

Konata, I'm sure you know this, but the size disparity between the ESEE 4 and 5 is significant. This may fit the bill for what you want, just be sure to check the weights and dims before you buy. Or just buy both. Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.
May 23, 2022, 02:03 PM
konata88
quote:
Konata, I'm sure you know this, but the size disparity between the ESEE 4 and 5 is significant. This may fit the bill for what you want, just be sure to check the weights and dims before you buy. Or just buy both.

Thanks! Yes, that's mostly why I'm undecided. The weight in particular - 16 vs 8 oz!

But my folder has about a 4" blade (Spyderco Manix 2 XL). So was considering a larger fixed blade. But not sure what the pros/cons are of it vs the 4". And whether the 4" is just redundant w/ my folder.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
May 23, 2022, 02:04 PM
TheFrontRange
While I have a trusty Kershaw Blur Tanto that I have with me often, I’ve been carrying (again) this Pocket Drop fixed-blade from Kistner Knives. It carries very well in its horizontal sheath.

I was excited to see that Dee Kistner is in the process of returning to the knifemaking business after a brief hiatus. I’m not sure if he has a website back up yet or not.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
May 24, 2022, 03:49 AM
Plugugly
TheFrontRange, I just want to say that your revolver is beautiful!
May 24, 2022, 09:38 AM
Perception
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
quote:
Konata, I'm sure you know this, but the size disparity between the ESEE 4 and 5 is significant. This may fit the bill for what you want, just be sure to check the weights and dims before you buy. Or just buy both.

Thanks! Yes, that's mostly why I'm undecided. The weight in particular - 16 vs 8 oz!

But my folder has about a 4" blade (Spyderco Manix 2 XL). So was considering a larger fixed blade. But not sure what the pros/cons are of it vs the 4". And whether the 4" is just redundant w/ my folder.

The Manix is a very solid knife, the ESEE 4 is a few orders of magnitude more solid. They might be redundant from a day to day standpoint, but the for times you NEED a hard use knife the ESEE is the one you're going to grab.

I carry a folder of some kind every day and it's almost always adequate. When I go into the woods, I take the ESEE too.

I don't have a ESEE 5 to compare to my 4, but I think if I'm ever in a situation where the 4 isn't enough I'm going to want a whole lot more rather than a little more (think machete, axe, rifle...)

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."