SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why haven't dash cams become standard on vehicles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why haven't dash cams become standard on vehicles? Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
First, GMC will start equipping their cars with a Dash Cam. Then Ford will install front and rear cameras. Then Toyota will offer dual 4K HD cameras. Hyundai, not to be outdone will install 360° cameras in 4K with a removable 1TB harddrive and night vision. Dodge will bring out the 800 horsepower Challenger.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:

I don’t think it should become standard necessarily but it definitely would be nice to have as an factory option.
I would not want to see this as a factory option. I would prefer to see it as a dealer-installed option, which would give the vehicle buyer more control over whether or not s/he wants the option.

No doubt the dealer would rather take the margin on a dealer installed accessory than have it loaded on every car with nearly zero incremental margin.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:

I don’t think it should become standard necessarily but it definitely would be nice to have as an factory option.
I would not want to see this as a factory option. I would prefer to see it as a dealer-installed option, which would give the vehicle buyer more control over whether or not s/he wants the option.
No doubt the dealer would rather take the margin on a dealer installed accessory than have it loaded on every car with nearly zero incremental margin.
That's OK. If it's factory installed, that's a problem for the buyer who does not want it.

If it's dealer installed, the buyer can refuse it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Dodge will bring out the 800 horsepower Challenger.
You're little late on that one. Wink

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
To answer the original question...

1) Not enough consumer demand.

2) No government requirement.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I guess some of you guys are confusing standard with mandatory Confused

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
No thanks. I don’t want anymore “industry standards” becoming another tool for gov checking on me and my driving habits unless it’s a cell phone lockout device that prevents a car from moving if a cell phone is in the driver’s hand. Figure that one out and I’ll support it.

I'm sure they'll come up with that when gun manufacturers come out with a way where if a criminal is holding a gun, it can't fire.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you're responding to my post, mandatory only considers my second point. Standard considers my first. Just not enough people want them to justify the cost of the automakers implementing them.

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I guess some of you guys are confusing standard with mandatory Confused

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If everyone was required to watch one hour of youtube dashcam videos, they would be demanding dash cams. Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7275 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post