SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why haven't dash cams become standard on vehicles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why haven't dash cams become standard on vehicles? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Just wondering because other technology that we used to have to get higher trims for just 5-6 years ago is now standard on many vehicles such as bluetooth, blind spot monitoring, heated seats, ventilated seats, etc.

I realize it would add some to the cost of the vehicle but does anything believe insurance could possibly be lowered? I realize there are some cars such as the C7 Corvette which has a recorder but how about on a larger level?

With the crazy ass people driving out there these days, who wants to play he said she said with the police in the event of an accident?

The technology is there, maybe it's not as cheap as we'd want it to be. The memory capability is there, too. Maybe have an onboard hard drive with the capability to pull footage via SD card or USB.

Myself, I would welcome 360* camera coverage. Just too much crazy shit going on these days. People driving distracted or just plain incompetent.

Posts: 13291 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Why haven't dash cams become standard on vehicles?

Just wondering because other technology that we used to have to get higher trims for just 5-6 years ago is now standard many vehicles such as bluetooth, blind spot monitoring, heated seats, ventilated seats, etc.

The technology is there, maybe it's not as cheap as we'd want it to be.

You have your answer right there. "Many" is not all. Standard has to apply to all.

Q

Posts: 27513 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
The components are cheap but industry hasn't told the car buyer that they need it yet. Also there is a timeline that figures in average knowledge level. When it reaches critical mass then you see things become standard lest you get too much push-back on the added markup of doodads, therein the niche for pricier trims.

Imagine if dash cams do become standard....... the boys in blue will start having to run their kids to band camp in their cruisers while abiding by the speed limit.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Maybe they should have them installed along with a cloud based data service to the Ministry of Truth.

The can employ new $15/hr employees who can review all the videos and issue fines / warrants when they see people speeding, drunk driving, and committing other crimes.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
No thanks. I don’t want anymore “industry standards” becoming another tool for gov checking on me and my driving habits unless it’s a cell phone lockout device that prevents a car from moving if a cell phone is in the driver’s hand. Figure that one out and I’ll support it.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
As someone who has begun car shopping for a purchase in about two years, I'd like the ability to connect a device to factory-installed cameras. Just like plugging in your iPod to play through the stereo or using bluetooth for your phone.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’d much rather have a good, factory-installed dash cam system than automatic door locks, power tailgates, or numerous other useless geegaws the manufacturers seem to think I will appreciate.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
No thanks. I don’t want anymore “industry standards” becoming another tool for gov checking on me and my driving habits

Same here.

quote:
...unless it’s a cell phone lockout device that prevents a car from moving if a cell phone is in the driver’s hand. Figure that one out and I’ll support it.

Are you kidding? Screw that nonsense.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
No thanks. I don’t want anymore “industry standards” becoming another tool for gov checking on me and my driving habits unless it’s a cell phone lockout device that prevents a car from moving if a cell phone is in the driver’s hand. Figure that one out and I’ll support it.

Exactly! If dash cams become standard then there will need to be a law to ensure that the driver makes sure it is unobstructed and working properly and another law that gives the gov't the right to access to the memory chip if there is an accident and then these laws will be expanded to give gov't access to the memory chip anytime they deem necessary.....

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Standard?" No, for many reasons cited above.

However, I would like to see it as an option. Dealer installable option, so that the vehicle buyer is not forced to take an unwanted item, the default being "not installed."

Personally, I never start driving without turning mine on, ever since the lying bitch Mercedes Girl told the cop that I ran a red light. Fortunately, my camera was recording and I was able to show the officer that I had a green light and Mercedes Girl was actually the one who ran the red light before slamming into the side of my truck.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Tesla has them, but not sure if many others have it as an OE option.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15981 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I was checking out the Toyota FourRunner the other day, they offer them as a $499 option, probably on other makes also.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This annoys the shit out of me. I have both forward and rear facing cameras on my car, why not connect them to a removable USB drive and let me record what they are viewing?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they were an option and would write to a memory card so you have control of the data. Mostly because everyone admits fault and is super nice to you when the run into you but tend to do a 180 when they get home. Front and rear would also record license plate numbers for the people who take off also.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen & +1

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The tree of Liberty is where the wood came from to build this country.

The government is a hive of termites with a voracious appetite. Anything and everything we "build" that expand and extend our ability to exercise our freedoms and rights, comes from the wood of that tree.

And the termites just love to build another colony in our wood.

Besides, Google is and has likely been Hoovering all sorts of information about our driving and I would not be surprised the day it is announced that cams and vehicle monitoring will be a mandate, for the children, and the sea turtles and the climate.

Be mindful what you wish for.

(and please, stop "wishing" this kind of shit for me...)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
How will ambulance chaser lawyers be able to maintain their lifestyles when cameras showing what TRULY occurred cuts down on lawsuits.

Think of the poor lawyers!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My new Durango has so many nanny features that I dont want that now I have a pre-ride checklist to perform to shut them down before I roll out.
I asked my service dept to turn them off permanently. No can do!
A factory installed 360 degree camera system would be great! Provided I am the only person who can access and control it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16381 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it should become standard necessarily but it definitely would be nice to have as an factory option.

Posts: 10842 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:

I don’t think it should become standard necessarily but it definitely would be nice to have as an factory option.
I would not want to see this as a factory option. I would prefer to see it as a dealer-installed option, which would give the vehicle buyer more control over whether or not s/he wants the option.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post