SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Walmart proposes to collect health data
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Walmart proposes to collect health data Login/Join 
posted
BENTONVILLE, AR (WLOX) - Walmart filed a patent application so it can learn even more about the company’s shoppers.

According to the patent application, the company wants to equip shopping cart handles with the ability to measure heart rate and body temperature to determine a shopper’s stress level.

Based on the collected date, at least one store associate will be alerted if a shopper needs assistance.

The application says the data will be collected in near real-time as soon as a shopper grabs the shopping cart handle and sent to a server for analysis before sending an alert to store associates.

This is the latest development in Walmart trying to make the shopping experience easier for its customers, including grocery pickup and easy reordering.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am skeptical of the motives. I think if they were really concerned they would extend CPR training to their associates.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
They can't even keep decent wheels on their carts. I can't see this happening and working for very long.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walmart adds to stress level. It’s one of the reasons I avoid Walmart.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
They can't even keep decent wheels on their carts

Beat me to that.
The destruction is done by cart men.
They drag whole lines of carts sideways to do the hookup of the power cart re travel machine.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
OK, this thread took a humorous turn right off the bat. I love it

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Walmart adds to stress level. It’s one of the reasons I avoid Walmart.
m

Here it’s the clientele. I’d never walk in one without extra ammo. I only go there a few times year. Last visit there were 4 squad cars, some thug in handcuffs. It’s like a trailer park and hood rolled into one.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if I shit on their front steps can they analyze that?

Walmart can't manage their buggy corral, what makes them think they can manage this?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I opened this expecting to see a bunch of "invasion of privacy" bitches.

I'm fine with being the first tho. WalMart can eat a bag of dicks, they're NOT gathering "health data" from me.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
The ones that use their go carts will be driven remotely by a trained associate?

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that most of the "stress alerts" will be from the customers standing in the checkout line.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wear gloves. Given the mouth breathers who handled the cart before you, a good idea whether or not data is being collected!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Tape some hot hands to the handle, then pull the cart from the front!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
They’re going to get really good data on all the homeless people in town...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
They can't even keep decent wheels on their carts. I can't see this happening and working for very long.

RMD

OR ever have enough cashiers.....there are always huge lines at Walmart.....they probably raise everyones heart rate.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Not seeing a link.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
What about the carts you ride? Where will the sensors be? Heart rate is useless if you are sitting down and riding around.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.wlox.com/2018/09/28...essed-customers-are/

Since you asked here is the link above. This is just the tip of the iceberg for this company. The folks at Walmart have patents that allow them to track the movements of every shopping cart in the store, eavesdrop on employees conversations etc. I found this by googling Walmart patents. With their proposal to buy health insurance companies there should be some justifiable concern. I could care less if Bentonville knows what purchases I make at their establishments, but do not trust them with healthcare information.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Fuck WalMart and every other company looking to gather and exploit data about individuals for profit. Fuck them in every hole at once.

It's shameful and horrifying to watch how readily millions of people are just tossing aside any notions of personal privacy, in a hundred different ways.

Like moths to a flame, the masses are racing toward a future where your farts will be analyzed by sensors embedded in your underwear and as a result your credit card won't let you buy Oreos anymore because your farts are hurting the environment in some way, followed by a higher Health Insurance rate because you're engaging in High Risk Snacking, but hey - at least you can ask Alexa to order pizza and save you 2min.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Your phone already tracks you, and we laugh as we admit someone has been gathering our threads in case they wish to read about what we say later. Your smart TV is listening to you along with Alexa. Progressive wants to plug in and monitor your driving.

Screw 'em all! Mad

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I bought some target ammo last week at walmart and the sales guy needed my driver license because he has to enter the license number into the "system". He said new policy.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post