SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oetiker hose clamp removal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oetiker hose clamp removal? Login/Join 
posted
In working on our sons VW Passat trying to replace the PCV valve these clamps are everywhere. I tried a pair of dykes but can't get enough leverage to cut through the stainless clamp. So, any Dub or Audi techs here that can shed some light on how to remove these clamps without cussing?

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
There's a tool. Big Grin (same tool you put them on with I think)

Tile nippers might work, but most people don't have those either. lol

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw in my Google searches the crimp tool but couldn't confirm that it also cut them off. Do you have the crimper and can confirm that it cuts them off also?

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Here you go.

https://www.amazon.com/Oetiker...Pincer/dp/B073726NQ9

And from the manufacturer site.
https://oetiker.com/en/Product...tters-for-Ear-Clamps

Separate tools for installing and removing.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Ah.. like compound nippers.

Apparently I've never seen anyone use the real tool either. Big Grin

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
I saw in my Google searches the crimp tool but couldn't confirm that it also cut them off. Do you have the crimper and can confirm that it cuts them off also?

You need to cut the tiny little nub that ratchets in the square holes and then just pop the two metal bands apart. the piece that looks like the tounge on a belt. Nip that off with dikes. Use a screwdriver to then easily pry the bands apart.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Exactly how I get them off. Depending on how much room you have and the size of the clamp just prying it up with a large flat tip screwdriver works also.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. Of course its raining now and wont get to do this until later.

posted Hide Post
The valve is under the intake plenum. I.E. no room at all!!!

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I use a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel.

Posts: 1577 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I always used the crimp tool. I just closed it and then rotated 90 degrees. Off it comes.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Never thought of that. I'll have to try it (the crimp tool trick, not the chain to the subframe Smile )

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I use them on beer and gas lines in the kegerator. Didn't feel like paying for the "correct" tool so I use end nippers. They work just fine.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
As far as twisting them off, don't. Your chances of breaking a plastic nipple or barb are better than good.

If you have room, pry the tail end up and off it's "cleat" and spread open then they come off like butter. With minimal force

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think in the video they were TRYING to remove the engine?

Any other more reasonable ideas?

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post