SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question about history and a movie: The Jesus Revolution and why I have never heard of this before the movie.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question about history and a movie: The Jesus Revolution and why I have never heard of this before the movie. Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
So I was invited to see this at an early viewing and tremendously enjoyed it. BUT it ended with the quote that it is considered one of the largest revivals in history.

really? I was raised in church, I had never heard of it prior to the movie.

So I asked my dad, what gives. He told me that most churches ignored and/or campaigned against it. When the revival came through Illinois they talked it up, "they are having orgies and stuff after the service breaks out, and dont even get me started about all the drugs and pot during the so called services" He seemed to feel that the church had really fumbled the ball here.

I asked a professor friend of mine, and he was like "when I was a kid we wore ties and coats to church, these guys were not even wearing shoes so we didnt have anything to do with them."

I am still trying to soak in the possibility that the number one enemy of the largest Christian revival was . . . other churches.

I know my research area is rather small, but I did not read about this in school, I have never heard about it in church etc. Billy Graham yes, other evangelist, even those that fell, yes. But it was as if this never happened. Until this movie.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3570 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Sex in church?!?!?!?! What a creative way to increase attendance! Remind me to ask Mrs. architect about this (she is an elder at hers), I don't recall her mentioning anything like it.

Posts: 6393 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's really no different than now. My wife and I visited a whole lot of churches after we got married to find one that would work for both of us. A surprising number of them devoted at least some time to tell you how the other guys down the road were doing it wrong rather than spending that time working on the spiritual growth of their congregations. One church in particular spent more than a hour on a sermon that could have been boiled down to Catholic=bad- even as they did one of the things the preacher was speaking against earlier on in that very service. Another one had a sermon that boiled down to don't question me as a preacher, I was put in front of you by God so my interpretations are correct and if you have questions you should probably go somewhere else.

Most of the churches we tried were good even if they didn't end up becoming our home, but there were some real head scratchers along the way.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3508 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Religion has always been a cutthroat business.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3837 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am still trying to soak in the possibility that the number one enemy of the largest Christian revival was . . . other churches.

That doesn't surprise me one bit.

Pretty much ever since the very early history of the Christian church, it's been a constant game of "I'm/We're doing it right and they are doing it wrong", with regard to other Christian denominations.

That continues to this day, and often even extends to other churches of the same denomination who have very mild variations, such as not expecting everyone to dress up in fancy clothes to attend church, or having a different style of music.

Posts: 32415 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Good movie, we enjoyed it and the history lesson.

I too was not aware of this but then I was 4 in '72.

dv

Posts: 3492 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redstone:
... I was raised in church, I had never heard of it prior to the movie. ...
Which church and what era are we talking?

I was a member of a church which was kind of part of the Jesus Revolution (Church of Christ) that the other churches called a cult. Then I left that for another church (Worldwide Church of God) that my first church called a cult. Basically, everyone is right because everyone else is wrong about the Bible. Smile

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked a professor friend of mine, and he was like "when I was a kid we wore ties and coats to church, these guys were not even wearing shoes so we didnt have anything to do with them."

I think this is key, kind of like they showed in the movie where some members of Chuck Smith's congregation wanted the hippies out because of the way they were.

I can only imagine what Jesus would think about churches turning away certain people because of their personality or the way they look, etc. Nobody who wants to embrace religion should be turned away. And people wonder why many churches membership is fading.

The biggest threat to Christianity is Christians.

Posts: 6336 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
quote:

I think this is key, kind of like they showed in the movie where some members of Chuck Smith's congregation wanted the hippies out because of the way they were.

I can only imagine what Jesus would think about churches turning away certain people because of their personality or the way they look, etc. Nobody who wants to embrace religion should be turned away. And people wonder why many churches membership is fading.

The biggest threat to Christianity is Christians.
Yep, that’s the crux.

Personally, I’d have never joined a church that would have forced me to wear a suit and tie.

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only imagine what Jesus would think about churches turning away certain people because of their personality or the way they look,

That's one way to look at it. Another would be the He's doing his part, why are you not doing your's? If a person wouldn't dream of going to a nice restaurant or a job interview wearing jean shorts, a T-Shirt reading "Mustache Rides 5 cents", bare feet, and greasy hair, why would he present himself to Jesus looking that way. One would think that He is deserving of a little more respect than that.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Some people just don’t want to associate with those they consider undesirable. I suppose they deserve a place to gather, too.

The Jesus Revolution just isn’t about them though. It’s about those that would follow Jesus into the leper colony. Those that would understand Peter’s vision of the sheet isn’t about food. Those that want the gospel beyond the walls of a building.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Good movie, we enjoyed it and the history lesson.

I too was not aware of this but then I was 4 in '72.

dv
I am the same age as you. At age 5 two members of the local Church of Christ came to my neighbors house and the mom invited my mom to be there as she didn’t feel comfortable meeting them alone. The very kind men brought a slide show presenting Jesus and invited us to their church. Mom was worried about it because we didn’t have the best clothes. “Come as you are” was their reply. I later found out that was one of the songs in their book. That stuck with me greatly through the years even though I no longer agree with the view of the Churches of Christ. I could have been lost had it not been for them.

I’m still wondering which church redstone grew up in.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
I can only imagine what Jesus would think about churches turning away certain people because of their personality or the way they look,

That's one way to look at it. Another would be the He's doing his part, why are you not doing your's? If a person wouldn't dream of going to a nice restaurant or a job interview wearing jean shorts, a T-Shirt reading "Mustache Rides 5 cents", bare feet, and greasy hair, why would he present himself to Jesus looking that way. One would think that He is deserving of a little more respect than that.

The question I've always posed in my mind is: what kind of person Jesus was that made prostitutes, drunkards, and tax collectors want to hang out with him? I can't see him clucking his tongue in disapproval of someone who is in one of those groups; they already know they're sinners. He reserved his ire for the religious types.

Just look at his first recorded miracle - turning water into wine. And what was noted was that usually, the best wine is served first and when everyone is drunk, then they serve the cheap wine. But instead, the banquet master was impressed the best wine which came from Jesus was served last.

Jesus didn't make just grape juice, he served the best wine to a wedding group already drunk. And supposedly, that was when the first hymn was written, "O, What a Friend We Have In Jesus." {Yeah, I know that's a joke but I think a joke that Jesus would also find funny.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19576 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christ Superstar

In Deep Purple.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post