SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    We joined the Speed Queen kingdom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We joined the Speed Queen kingdom Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
Our 5 yr old Maytag Bravos washer has been sounding sicker and sicker for the last couple months. The wife was researching the $75-$100 in parts it probably needed as it started to go terminal last week when she suggested we tip it over and take a pic underneath to confirm parts. I pulled it out and noticed oil drops on the tile and assumed that wasn't good. She confirmed through Google-fu that was an extinction level event.

Thanks to my passive reading of SIGforum and Appliance Brad's musings on the topic along with some searches, I suggested Speed Queen, which she never heard of.

One of the latest model 7 Series was delivered Friday. Now our washer and dryer don't match, but I can live with that. No more hour long wash cycles! Considered it handled washing cloth diapers for two kids' up-bringing, the Maytag served an honorable duty cycle. Thanks SIGforum!

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Our Maytag Bravo lasted 4 years, it sounds like ours is experiencing the same issues as yours.

Really!
4 years Grrrrr!

Done with Maytag.

Can you please post a link to the Speed Queen you selected.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speed Queen TR7

Slightly under $1,100 after tax delivered, installed, and old one put 6 feet under. Ouch, but hopefully she gives us a better and longer experience than the Maytag. I think the Maytag was around $600 from Lowes back in 2013 or 2014.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just in time.

Not sure about top loaders but I heard they will stop making front loaders while they shift manufacturing to a huge commercial contract.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12724 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the days when Maytag washer/dryer sets would last 30-40 yrs.

My current Maytag set is 20+ yrs. old.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
... the Maytag served an honorable duty cycle.

Not in my book. Five years? That's atrocious.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a new Maytag... he's lucky it lasted that long. Frown

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Enjoy it. Clean the filter in the cold water filler hose.

I think you will be happy with the service it gives you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19191 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
We joined the others and bought a Speed Queen set at the end of last year. A bit more expensive and a few less features, but I know they will last.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
... the Maytag served an honorable duty cycle.

Not in my book. Five years? That's atrocious.

Two kids worth of cloth diapers? That is like running an Afresh cleaning cycle every two days, with about 20+ cloth diapers in it for 3/4 of its life. I thought it would eat itself quicker than it did. The Speed Queen laughs at our feeble attempts to foil it with such soil and trouble.