SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a good way to kill blackberries?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a good way to kill blackberries? Login/Join 
posted
I'm clearing out some property for sale and too much time spent on night shift means I'm very far behind in yard work. Primarily I was talked into letting a few blackberry bushes stay and now they are terribly overgrown. chopping them back just leaves more. Does anyone have a good way to get rid of them that wont leave me destitute? It just needs to look good enough for sale. I'm fine with reseeding grass or whatever once its all out. Pretend I know exactly nothing about gardening.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I believe Roundup has a product specifically for vegetation like this I think it has a red cap but don't recall the exact name.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37984 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I take it, "cobbler" is not the answer you are looking for... Big Grin

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have a good way to kill blackberries?

Usually with whip cream. I can kill/knock out a whole pint in one sitting! Big Grin

You'll need a more than just a week killer, something like a brush killer. I used it on some ground cover I had and it worked ok but you end up really killing the soil.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

That's what I was thinking, eat them. Smile

Posts: 2310 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I don't have firsthand experience with this, but found it while looking up Ortho Brush-B-Gon.

https://www.ortho.com/en-us/pr...h-killer-concentrate

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
A good brush-hogging and then Roundup the stems and shoots.

But, I very much prefer to lightly crush them and dump them over good vanilla ice cream and drizzle on some chocolate fudge.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Flamethrower?

More seriously, but still probably not what you want, goats. Given enough time, goats are extremely rough on berry vines.

Can you get an excavator or a dozer into where they are? Sometimes brute force works well, especially for a short term cleanup.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The brush killer may kill the plants, but the woody bits and roots will remain. It's going to take the rototiller from hell to till all that up so it can be removed, then prepared for seeding.

Of a lot of back-breaking manual labour.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah the pie is how all this nonsense started. Believe you me, I'll be buying from the store quite happily from now on.

A neighbor has a small farm and a bunch of equipment so I may look into seeing if I can hire him to come over and rip the absolute crap out of it and then follow with the chemicals. I have less than a month to get it fixed up so I'll likely have to skip on the goats I imagine.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cut it back with a brushhog, down to the ground, cover with dirt, sod, plants can't grow without sunlight, some will pop through, mow over them, eventually the plants will die off.

Killed a whole line of palmetto plants with that method over 20 years ago, had a few pop their heads out at first, now, nothing...

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

My first thought, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
They are like blueberries or raspberries. 70% of the plant is underground and will continue spreading. I have blueberries up at the lake place. I mow half the patch every year and the other half the following year. Keeps nice big wild blueberries coming every year.

Pretty hard to kill them off I think. I'd use a nice blackberry patch as a selling point.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

My first thought, too.

flashguy

Or whipped cream

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Goats

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Goats or if you go the chemical route Crossbow (herbicide) mixed with diesel.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I tried planting blackberries and couldn't get them to grow...go figure. The area where I planted them is prone to occasional flooding, so wet ground may have been the problem, so you could try drowning them.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Second Crossbow
Hit them with it and wait 3-5 days.
Smash down the dead vines and you'll have to dig out the root balls.
They will try to come back for several weeks so you'll want to stay on top of any new chutes popping up.
They grow faster than anything here.
Nuke em all.

Cheers~

Posts: 906 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Goats will take care of them, stalks and all.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11293 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
Goats or if you go the chemical route Crossbow (herbicide) mixed with diesel.

^^^^^
This is the answer you’re looking for, specifically the ingredient Triclopyr. Crossbow is a mixed product with some 2,4-D thrown in for good measure. Get it from any Ag store or order it online from Amazon. Triclopyr will kill it all, including the root system. It is persistent, so it will damage waterways and fish, so be careful that you following the instructions. It is only partially water soluble, so you need an oil as a carrier. People will often use Diesel, or even better, Kerosene, in the solution to emulsify the brush killer. With kerosene, it will work even after it rains.

Crossbow also makes an excellent basal bark or cut stump treatment to kill trees. It will not harm most grasses if applied according to instructions.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post