SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have a good way to kill blackberries?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a good way to kill blackberries? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Hyvar and Hyvar X-L from Dupont have been used, as well as appropriately named Spike from Dow. In high concentrations, any of these are merciless in perennial weed/brush control scenarios.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Given your Location: Pnw I would guess you are dealing with Himalayan Blackberry. Here is an image of what you are in for.

Himalayan's are a highly invasive non-native plant. A guy brought it to the PNW as he felt they would produce a lot of berries. Which they do! Win!!! Oh wait, they spread like crazy and are impossible to control. The shoots get up to 1/2" in diameter or better and are covered with thorns. Really cheap alternative to razor wire and cyclone fences.....

Well now its time to gear up as Sisyphus. It will be a perputual battle. The best method, mow them down and sell the property ASAP.

If you are looking for something else. Spraying them works, then clear out the debris and sell the place. They will be back next year, returning to full size in 2-3 years.

Here are 2 good websites to read through.
Oregon State U. Extension

This PDF has good pictures for the non-PNW members out there. Scroll down a few pages.
Control Methods

Now is the time to do it before they get dropping seeds again and replanting for next year.

For all our Sig Forum freinds who haven't experinced these.
- They produce good sized berries
- They are huge, and will over grown anything that isn't a tree. They send out canes up into trees and keep going till they find sun light.
- Often grow along back grounds, power line cuts, etc...
- I often stop and eat them on the roadside while cycling. Many people go out and pick them for free on the road sides.

General information
Contrary to the notion that the blackberry is as native to Oregon as rain, this hardy relative of the rose was introduced by the famous Luther Burbank. The western European blackberry he introduced in 1885 as "Himalayan giant" has become a giant problem. A single blackberry cane can produce a thicket six yards square in less than two years and has choked out native vegetation from Northern California to British Columbia.

I couldn't find any really nice pictures here is one of them

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Bonide Vine & Stump Killer

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought some land many years ago that was over run with wild mulitiflora rose bushes. I used ally herbicide with great success. It takes a few weeks to kill them but they will be dead. It works on blackberries also.

Perennial Veed Control: Broadcast applications: Apply "Ally· herbicida at the rate of 3/10 ounce of ~roduct per acre plus surfactant for the suppression* of multiflora rose (R2JA multiflora) blackberry (Rubus spp.) AppLication should be made in the spring, soon after fully leafed. Multiflora rose must be less tllat 3 feet tall for a broadcast application t~ give effective control. *Weed suppression is a visual reduction in weed competition population and/or vigor) as compaLed to an untreated area. suppression will vary with the rate used, size of weeds and conditions following treatment. (reduced Degree of environmental Spot application: Apply "Ally· herbicide at the rate of 1 ounce of product per 100 Sal Ions of wster, plus surfactant. for the control of • multiflora rose (R2I& multiflora) blackberry (BMbus spp.) Canada thistle (Cirsium Arvense)

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticide...2-00435-19900430.pdf

Posts: 12700 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I need to deal with rose mostly in wooded areas with something that won't to collateral damage to the surrounding trees. Think Ally would be safe?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7103 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, I’m lazy, but given the carcass price for goats, these days, I’d really look at intensive goat grazing.

(Can’t figure out why more places don’t rent them. I know plenty of Southern landowners who’d let folks rotationally graze their timber, for free...)

Posts: 5741 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys must have some amazing goats. My goats won't touch them if there is anything else to eat.

2-4D or the other products mentioned will work.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:

(Can’t figure out why more places don’t rent them. I know plenty of Southern landowners who’d let folks rotationally graze their timber, for free...)

In my case my timber is not fenced in otherwise I'd love to try some goats.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7103 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Crossbow and non ionic surfactant if the rain is coming. If you can spray with no rain in the forecast for a day you're good.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in for the karma, if you decide to dig some up and ship them out. Big Grin

Posts: 882 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stomach acid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Round Up is not very effective on blackberry until late Summer but my former boss tried it with a surfactant and got good results. He didn't tell me what the surfactant was. 2-4-D works on the current years growth and won't be very effective on the existing plant. Garlon (Brush B Gone) will knock out the plant but you need 100% coverage. Any part of the blackberry you miss will survive. CrossBow IIRC is Garlon and 2-4-D together and will work on blackberry. Remember to cover the whole plant. Your next problem will be a gozillion blackberry seed sprouting up the next few months.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
they are like cockroaches the will survive a direct nuclear blast. pnw is packed full of them. they will grow up thru concrete.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep that's the bastard for sure. Himalayan blackberries. Neighbor agreed to rip it out with an excavator for a very reasonable price. Looks like I'll come in with the chem after that as they have shut down yard waste for some ingenious reason. So lucky me it has to sit in my yard until they lift the covid quarantine I imagine. He said constant mowing afterwards will kill nourishment to the roots after a while and then maybe something else can grow

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anubismp,

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
They grow everywhere around here. When they're in season, I can walk the fence line at my job and feast. It's right next to the highway.

There are people out here that make a living renting their goats out to eat the blackberry bushes.

Here's a couple...
http://www.sauviegoats.com

https://www.healinghooves.com/goat-rental/

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5414 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Yep that's the bastard for sure. Hymilayan blackberries. Neighbor agreed to rip it out with an excavator for a very reasonable price. Looks like I'll come in with the chem after that as they have shut down yard waste for some ingenious reason. So lucky me it has to sit in my yard until they lift the covid quarentine I imagine. He said constant mowing afterwards will kill nourishment to the roots after a while and then maybe something else can grow

What about chopping them all down, and covering them with a thick black tarp to block any photsynthesis and water to the soil for a month.....and the heat from the sunshine on the black tarp may bake them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
You guys must have some amazing goats. My goats won't touch them if there is anything else to eat.

2-4D or the other products mentioned will work.

The funniest is when you put them on poison oak. Some eat the heck out of it and have no issues. Some eat it, their face swells up, and they won’t go near it again. Some eat it, their face swells up, and they just keep chomping away. Boer/Spanish crosses, hard headed buggers.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
one of my lumber suppliers has a small patch of dirt between the parking lot and a concrete wall, those blackberries took hold in that area and climbed the wall making the perfect place to pick them, every time I go there in the summer I just gorge myself.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It's a woody plant to you need a woody plant herbicide. I have had good luck with Remedy, and also with Cimarron Plus.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I need to deal with rose mostly in wooded areas with something that won't to collateral damage to the surrounding trees. Think Ally would be safe?

Yes,you spray it directly on the leaves of the rose bushes,it will not harm plants it is not sprayed on. Also Cimaron is the generic version of Ally.

Posts: 12700 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post